SiouxSports.com Forum

The "NODAK" Trademark

The Sicatoka

14 hours ago, Cratter said:

Armacost be like Berry told me no conflict of interest so we good.

Yeah, I wonder where Armacost got that idea from? 

Armacost says a review conducted by North Dakota’s Assistant Attorney General clears Berry of any involvement in a conflict of interest with his daughter’s LLC.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Wonder if and when anyone higher up in the Finance department got wind of this?

Wind of what?  It seems the only money involved would have been the money paid by the university for the jerseys worn by the team (unless those were provided for free as part of a bigger equipment deal), and the licensing money collected by the university for merchandise sold at retail.  Are you thinking the daughter got herself involved in a complex license revenue stream, and somehow figured out how to divert royalties?  How many legit clothing vendors with official licenses to produce UND stuff are going to just fork over a second royalty without complaining?  And if they did, how would UND even know?

Licensing is not exactly child's play.  From the collegiate licensing company website:

1789744337_ScreenShot2022-12-03at12_27_46PM.thumb.png.d9f7a054ddff6719053075500375d09d.png

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Yeah, I wonder where Armacost got that idea from? 

Six hour investigation?

No Conflict of Interest,

So why turn over such a valuable asset for free so easily, just because few people found out, after going through the hassle of obtaining it?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I just listened to Berry's weekly presser. Did I miss it or did no one ask him about the trademark issue?

Nope...our local  journalists are too concerned about xG analytics. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Nope...our local  journalists are too concerned about xG analytics. 

Our QBR is unreal, or wait....Xbc....or is it GOBC???  Thankfully people smarter than I can show me metrics that undoubtedly prove my favorite teams like the Twins and UND aren't as bad as the good old eye test says they are.  

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I just listened to Berry's weekly presser. Did I miss it or did no one ask him about the trademark issue?

Everyone is too nice to ask such a bold question. Brad also doesn't want to get shunned from the weekly presser either.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Our QBR is unreal, or wait....Xbc....or is it GOBC???  Thankfully people smarter than I can show me metrics that undoubtedly prove my favorite teams like the Twins and UND aren't as bad as the good old eye test says they are.  

You need strong ACT or SAT scores to figure out QBR or xG and if you do it wrong the IRS will send the FBI unless you really work for the CIA or NSA. A-OK? 

Like a former boss told me in a written note: "Avoid the use of TLAs* in what you write." 

*three-letter abbreviations :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't know why people are putting this on BB.  Yes, it was stupid, etc. but our athletic department shouldn't have rolled out a huge NODAK campaign without figuring this out on their own.  Literally, all they had to do was search a database for the word NODAK.  You would think that if Brad Barry's daughter filed for trademark rights that the UND athletic department would be competent enough to at least think about it, especially considering our history with the ND logo and Notre Dame.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ChadR said:

You can't be shocked at that?! This thing was swept under the rug 7 days ago already!

I highly doubt something that came in through the NDUS Fraud tip line and was investigated by the Assistant State's Attorney General is "swept under the rug". 

Do we need to come up with the analytics version of an explanation to help people understand it or what?
Again, not saying it changes the public perception of what it looks like, but it was investigated through the exact channels it should have been. And those were well beyond the scope of anything the University had control over.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I highly doubt something that came in through the NDUS Fraud tip line and was investigated by the Assistant State's Attorney General is "swept under the rug". 

Do we need to come up with the analytics version of an explanation to help people understand it or what?
Again, not saying it changes the public perception of what it looks like, but it was investigated through the exact channels it should have been. And those were well beyond the scope of anything the University had control over.

At the same time, people's main question right now is "why"?  Who, what, when where, why?  Without knowing all the info, people will continue to wonder.  If everything was kosher, shouldn't that be a simple question to answer?  The lack of details or any answer here obviously causes people to wonder why such a simple question isn't being answered, because, logically, one would think that UND, BB, and Nodak LLC would want to quell discontent. 

I'm not making any accusations and I dont think most of the others who still have concerns about this are either.  Asking a question/s does not equate to an accusation. The information that we've been told just doesn't really add up - given that BB has, so far, chosen not to answer questions or address this publicly and with UND being so quick to say "nothing to see here", the appearance is that BB is worried about self incriminating himself or his daughter and that UND employees are afraid to look like they were incompetent or out of control.  

People who still have questions aren't being unfair and they aren't conspiracy theorists.  The facts that we've been told don't align with BB pleading the 5th (for the lack of a better term), and this isn't the fault of Rob Port or fans who are still concerned about this. 

Also, people can rip Rob Port, but he reported on something that, according to Armacost, was an issue, and the publicity from his reporting is what spurred change.  Are people really criticizing him for going to print without the whole story when the parties involved were (and still are) unwilling to answer simple questions about their side of the story?

• Upvote 3

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not accusing Berry of anything. I would, however, accuse the local journalists of negligence. It seems pretty much impossible that Berry didn't know that his daughter trademarked the name. He should feel obligated to tell his side of the story. And the media should be obligated to ask the question.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I don't know why people are putting this on BB.  Yes, it was stupid, etc. but our athletic department shouldn't have rolled out a huge NODAK campaign without figuring this out on their own.  Literally, all they had to do was search a database for the word NODAK.  You would think that if Brad Barry's daughter filed for trademark rights that the UND athletic department would be competent enough to at least think about it, especially considering our history with the ND logo and Notre Dame.

Ok, but you’re applying logic to the situation.;)

• Upvote 2