SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

I think if the offense commits to the run and throwing the ball downfield we will be just fine.  That’s a big if.. as if u watch the USD / UNI games we clearly don’t do that.

Yesterday when we ran the ball we did very well.. all those crappy little outside passes behind the line of scrimmage are totally defeating. 

ndsu has clearly stepped up its game after playing us. If we commit to a similar offensive template as we used against NDSU we will be fine. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GDPritch said:

Teams under Bubba seem to do that pretty much every season that starts out looking good. They then will go on the road and play average/good teams and lay an egg (or eggs, as they did this season) then return home with all momentum lost/soured fans. They gotta figure out that road issue.

The road issue has been an issue for many years … won’t change until there is … wait for it … change

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Teams under Bubba seem to do that pretty much every season that starts out looking good. They then will go on the road and play average/good teams and lay an egg (or eggs, as they did this season) then return home with all momentum lost/soured fans. They gotta figure out that road issue.

It's been 10 years - the learning curve must be pretty steep

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Clear path to the quarters.  Sac St beatable and USD overrated. 

Fortunately, our coaches and players know better. Tough first round opponent.  We will need to play our best game of the year to advance. That is the only game on our schedule right now. 

• Upvote 4

Two years in a row with poor 3rd down defense and defense in general. If I would guess if Bubba stays (AD does not do a buyout or he does not retire) The AD needs to demand the Defense and staff would be overhauled. USD kept coach but put in a new “O” coordinator, got new assistants like Bagnell from Mary. Their offense wasn’t great but it sure complemented their Defense.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2022 at 8:39 AM, Midwestern Hawk said:

I think things will be much the same as far as coaching and personnel.  Here is a very early prediction on the 2023 season...

Drake - easy W

Northern Arizona - W

@Boise State - L

@South Dakota State - L

Western Illinois - W

North Dakota State - L

@Northern Iowa - L

Indiana State - W

@Murray State - Toss up - bad team but we are on road in a new venue

@South Dakota - Toss up - avg team but on the road

Illinois State - Toss up - good team but at home

There you have it.  somewhere between 4-7 and 7-4.  

I was wildly wrong on the NDSU game, but in the end was pretty damn close. This team didn't play really well for an entire game after the NDSU game and in fact played many clunkers.  As Geaux Sioux said, Bubba has raised the baseline fo rNorth Dakota football but has also reached his ceiling.  5-7 wins and an first round loss is it.

1 hour ago, UND Football Fan said:

Two years in a row with poor 3rd down defense and defense in general. If I would guess if Bubba stays (AD does not do a buyout or he does not retire) The AD needs to demand the Defense and staff would be overhauled. USD kept coach but put in a new “O” coordinator, got new assistants like Bagnell from Mary. Their offense wasn’t great but it sure complemented their Defense.

But according to @Sioux>Bison, this is as good as it will ever get, so we should just put up and shut up. :silly:

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

But according to @Sioux>Bison, this is as good as it will ever get, so we should just put up and shut up. :silly:

Never said that actually. I’m just saying we can’t afford it. We could afford to move on to a new d coordinator and scheme. Set up Danny for a new future.

im not happy with this season like everyone else