SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

32 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I live in Minot so I don’t make many games. Really wasn’t much of a discount on the secondary market. But to your point, it should keep Matt Larsen up at night. 

I actually went to that game on Saturday.  Whoever bought yours for $55 certainly didn’t look very hard.   We bought 2 at the gate and were given 10 for no charge.  Apparently lots of people wearing blue and red if you think there is a demand for tickets.  

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I don't see any reason to expect we shouldn't sell out the Alerus Center given that NDSU could draw 18-19 K and UND can sell 11.5K twice a weekend for hockey.  For that to happen, UND needs more buy-in from casual sports fans and hockey fans.  I think that is happening, slowly.  Finally getting an NDSU win will help in the long run with the casual fans.

Most of the schools you're referring to also have much larger stadiums though.  Not really a ton of apples to apples comparisons from stadium/program/institution standpoint across the FCS.  Idaho may be the closest comparison, maybe?  UND's FB program is extremely unique when you compare us to other schools across the national landscape.  

College football attendance is hard to figure out. Last week attendance at the USD game was what I would consider abysmal for a top 10 team that was 3-8 last year. Last year was the first time in 8 years that FCS attendance was up (5%). If winning could push UND attendance up that same 5% that would only be an additional 500 fans (based on current average of 9,500) hardly noticeable. It's a trend and just about every school is facing it.  

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Buy two get ten free?
Seriously?
Ouch. 

The 10 were from a friend and the season tickets around them but no interest in going.  Had family coming to town Friday night with NDSU ties and just asked around. For him to act like people are lining up to get in the dome is funny at best.  

Their student section rivaled ours as far as attendance so it’s not just a UND problem.  

39 minutes ago, homer said:

The 10 were from a friend and the season tickets around them but no interest in going.  Had family coming to town Friday night with NDSU ties and just asked around. For him to act like people are lining up to get in the dome is funny at best.  

Their student section rivaled ours as far as attendance so it’s not just a UND problem.  

I never said anything like that. Just stated what the face value of a ticket to an NDSU football game is. 

25 minutes ago, NDSU grad said:

I never said anything like that. Just stated what the face value of a ticket to an NDSU football game is. 

I think NDSU may be looking at an issue similar to what Gopher Hockey faced after the Big Ten was formed.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if businesses own a decent chunk of NDSU's tickets that go unused.  The businesses didn't really seem to sell them ever, especially if for a loss.  

Fan apathy.  People have "been there & done that", and the band wagon fans aren't interested in watching a team that no longer has the same  hype and excitement around it.  Dom and McFeely and Kolpack trashing FCS on the TV and in print, nearly non stop, can't help at all either.  They are constantly belittling the FCS, similar to how people (justifiably) were crapping all of the Big Ten Hockey conference and how bad it was.  This did and does make winning feel less good, so that reduces how much time and money fans are willing to invest (is return worth the investment)

NDSU losing to SDSU 5X in a row and now UND and USD this year reminds me of the Gophers record vs MN schools from about 2013-2020.

SDSU stole NDSU's thunder similar to how UMD won 2 or 3 national championships, along with SCSU, Mankato, UND, and Denver all having national success.

Gophers program/fandom is now on the upswing again, imo.  NDSU is going to get worse before they get better.  They have to hit rock bottom.

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I think NDSU may be looking at an issue similar to what Gopher Hockey faced after the Big Ten was formed.

Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if businesses own a decent chunk of NDSU's tickets that go unused.  The businesses didn't really seem to sell them ever, especially if for a loss.  

Fan apathy.  People have "been there & done that", and the band wagon fans aren't interested in watching a team that no longer has the same  hype and excitement around it.  Dom and McFeely and Kolpack trashing FCS on the TV and in print, nearly non stop, can't help at all either.  They are constantly belittling the FCS, similar to how people (justifiably) were crapping all of the Big Ten Hockey conference and how bad it was.  This did and does make winning feel less good, so that reduces how much time and money fans are willing to invest (is return worth the investment)

Fan apathy is a huge problem. The student section on Saturday was abysmal. Matt Larsen definitely has a problem on his hands. 
it’s kind of funny, this was the first home game I’ve been to since 2013. Even though the game was pretty boring after halftime I had a blast, but the experience was kind of ‘new’ for me again. 

Just now, NDSU grad said:

Fan apathy is a huge problem. The student section on Saturday was abysmal. Matt Larsen definitely has a problem on his hands. 
it’s kind of funny, this was the first home game I’ve been to since 2013. Even though the game was pretty boring after halftime I had a blast, but the experience was kind of ‘new’ for me again. 

I seriously think the news guys in Fargo are a huge part of that.  They bash the FCS constantly, and ironically, they sound like UND hockey fans from 10-15 years ago, when they were comparing hockey and fcs football.  They'd say the FCS was JV, that it wasn't the best competition, nobody cares, no casual interest nationally, etc.  All a pointless argument really.  It's pretty crazy the Fargo media bashes the product that they invest so much time and money in to cover.  Especially when an FBS invite doesn't seem to be coming, and because if NDSU did go FBS, WDAY would lose their TV rights.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I seriously think the news guys in Fargo are a huge part of that.  They bash the FCS constantly, and ironically, they sound like UND hockey fans from 10-15 years ago, when they were comparing hockey and fcs football.  They'd say the FCS was JV, that it wasn't the best competition, nobody cares, no casual interest nationally, etc.  All a pointless argument really.  It's pretty crazy the Fargo media bashes the product that they invest so much time and money in to cover.  Especially when an FBS invite doesn't seem to be coming, and because if NDSU did go FBS, WDAY would lose their TV rights.

Interesting perspective. Never considered that. 

On 11/12/2023 at 2:43 PM, geaux_sioux said:

Also: have we learned our lesson about the magic carpet and wearing cleats yet? I’d trust the home teams understand what works best on that stuff and they have a ton of guys wearing turf shoes and indoor soccer shoes on most wr and db. 

Might stop taping over shoes. Smith tapes over both shoes. Doesn’t do anything for ankles but 2-3 inches of bottom of his shoes are covered with adhesive tape. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I've had the same type of thought. I understand pushing for the FBS move, but it could be done in a way that doesn't completely bash the FCS. McFeely is by far the worst, Izzo toes the line a bit better. I've thought multiple times listening to them how bizarre it is to bash the product you cover. 

I'm a huge fan of handling the Covid year this way.

UND football viewing Illinois State game as a playoff matchup - Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, East Grand Forks news, weather & sports

"We might be doing it different than other people," Schweigert said. "We are going to honor all of the guys listed as seniors on our roster including the guys who are academic seniors. We don't know about our roster moving forward, and we're going to honor those guys. If we honor them this year and next year, so be it."

9 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Say something stupid then act like it was bait.  Carry on loser...oh wait I mean winner

Hahaha.......pretty sure throwing out Dabo and Bubba in the same sentence awhile back to give some justification to the last 10 years of UND FB was stupid. We can agree there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1