SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2022

UNDBIZ

3 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

Watch the coverage in the southern Illinois game - or lack thereof.  Then watch the bison and Weber games tackling after their backs breached the line of scrimmage.  I am very hopeful we can improve in those areas, but I am not confident a fifth year senior can be expected to show tons of improvement after his 4th year.  The younger guys I hope will take real steps forward.  Anyone that honestly watched those games would have to say we need real help - or significant improvement - in that phase of the game.  No question qb pressure would help on the coverage issue as well.  The reality is the portal is here and here to stay.  You either fill gaps or get left behind…

I don't disagree with anyone you've said. My point is there are positions that are easier to fill in gaps via the portal. At UND, I think Safety is the most difficult position to do that. Improvement will have to be a group effort from within. Talking about improvement, I did feel Buckner looked much more comfortable by the end of the year. He could take a big step.

9 minutes ago, AJS said:

I don't disagree with anyone you've said. My point is there are positions that are easier to fill in gaps via the portal. At UND, I think Safety is the most difficult position to do that. Improvement will have to be a group effort from within. Talking about improvement, I did feel Buckner looked much more comfortable by the end of the year. He could take a big step.

I don’t disagree but you will never get what you don’t look for.  If we are content because we have experience coming back, that would be a mistake in my mind.  Always some gems out there. Can’t get enough Hoosman grabs…. need to focus looking in areas that need real help…

2 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

I don’t disagree but you will never get what you don’t look for.  If we are content because we have experience coming back, that would be a mistake in my mind.  Always some gems out there. Can’t get enough Hoosman grabs…. need to focus looking in areas that need real help…

Good news is the defensive deficiencies were so glaring this year that one thing we can all agree on is they will be attempted to be addressed. If we see Safety portal offers like we did O-Line this past year, then we'll know the coaching staff doesn't feel they have in-house what they need to take that next step.  

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

These kids are coached to form tackle properly. Our team didn’t tackle well this year. You focus more on knocking the ball out when either you need a turnover toward the end of a game or the opportunity presents due to poor ball security by the ball carrier. 

Sure, the issue is in games over and over again guys didn’t have their hips behind their pads. Can’t tackle a competent player without proper hip leverage. It’s why they ended up playing patty cake with guys and/or reaching.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Sure, the issue is in games over and over again guys didn’t have their hips behind their pads. Can’t tackle a competent player without proper hip leverage. It’s why they ended up playing patty cake with guys and/or reaching.

Knowing proper form and being able to execute it, not the same. 

On 12/4/2022 at 9:26 AM, UND1983 said:

If you all wanted the same guys back on defense then I dont know what to say. Wow

Do we have anyone better?  If we do, why were they not playing this fall.  I knew we were going to struggle early on D with all the personnel losses from 2021, but the D never came together.  Have we ever considered it NOT being the personnel, but the coaching on defense?

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Do we have anyone better?  If we do, why were they not playing this fall.  I knew we were going to struggle early on D with all the personnel losses from 2021, but the D never came together.  Have we ever considered it NOT being the personnel, but the coaching on defense?

Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me the consensus on here is that it’s a little bit of both.

16 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Did you watch our players last year?

1 hour ago, northernraider said:

Over 1,000 players have entered the portal on day one. I'm afraid this a barn door that will never close. 

It won't close but it will swing back towards being closed once more of the kids realize that they are making moves they later regret and that will give more players pause about leaving. 

14 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems to me the consensus on here is that it’s a little bit of both.

It’s a bit of a both. But more times than not, need better players. I think the culture/attitude of the defense has worsened quite a bit, and that’s definitely on the coaches too. They need to lead better, it’s not ALL on the players. Coaches can’t have a “I just work here” mentality and approach to coaching this game of passion and fire.

Trasfer Portal numbers by year:

2018-2019:  1,729 entered, 878 transferred (51%)

2019-2020:  1625 entered, 901 transferrred (53%)

2020-2021:  2,654 entered, 1,452 transferred (55%)

2021-2022: 3,085 entered, 866 transferred (28%)

Looking at the numbers (especially last year) I am not sure how students take the risk to try to sign on with another school when there a a 50/50 chance they won't sign on with anyone!!

• Upvote 1