SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2022

UNDBIZ

1 hour ago, LDL said:

was looking to see how many players return to their original school but haven't found anything yet.  did find this which gives some detail on the process:

https://gmtm.com/articles/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work

one thing of note is that once a player enters the portal they can lose their scholarship at their original school.

I am surprised no one has figured out a backdoor hack into the portal database (or maybe some have, but not sharing the details)

3 hours ago, shep said:

By now all of us are conditioned to expect you to complain about the coaches, but to say they are in a "I just work here" mentality is going too far. 

You can b!tch about them all you want but you're out-of-bounds to say they lack passion and fire for the game. 

You’re out of bounds to call me out. Don’t use me as a scapegoat. I’m not calling out any particular coach, rather saying that in general this is required to improve the team. And all coaches have “fire”, but that’s generic. How are you relative to your competition? Bottomline, you can be buddy buddy with the coaches all you want, but they need to do better. Period. 7-4, then 3-8, then 6-5, then 5-6, is not good enough, even at a “hockey school”. Needs to elevate. The whole unit (coach, players, fanbase) needs to elevate- that much should be obvious. And you need to settle down. Drink less coffee.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Why are you backtracking now? You literally said coaches can't have the "I just work here" mentality. It would be a pretty odd criticism to make that specific of a point if you didn't think that was an issue. Otherwise, why even bring it up?

Well, they can’t have that mentality, so I stand by that. You’re making an assumption by saying I brought it up because I have someone in mind. 

With that said, in general, coaches need to be able to sell the school (recruiting) and build up (develop) the student-athletes, who in this day and age are more athletes than students. 

With that said, I am happy that UND does well emphasizing the “student” in “student-athlete”, though, despite the trends in college football from a national perspective: https://fightinghawks.com/news/2022/12/6/football-und-leads-league-with-10-hawks-on-mvfc-all-academic-team.aspx?fbclid=IwAR3Tu2ZPnYbT9SYEAcWZl73wRMGfQqP5fbsdRzewLTY13wO2cK3-i5GJjcQ

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Shep stated an opinion. Don’t get so defensive. Settle down???  All Shep did was state and opposing opinion. You can “call out” coaches, players, others but someone disagrees and you tell them to settle down?  You assume that because someone supports the coaching staff they are “buddy buddy” with them. I’d be surprised if people have anymore of a relationship with coaches than having met them and an occasional handshake or hi at UND events. Because some don’t agree with firing the coaches at this time doesn’t mean they are happy or satisfied with the season or our progress as a program. 
Let’s see if I can get some straight answers. You makes statements regarding the “culture “ regarding team/coaches. How do you know this?  What experiences do you have that would give you credibility regarding culture?  Are you “buddy buddy” with coaches, players etc. or is it your experience as a player or coach?  ( playing Madden 2021 or winning your fantasy FB league doesn’t count).  
You don’t have to have played or coached to be a knowledgeable fan. Calling for coaching changes is always a reasonable opinion based on the success or failure of the team or teams over time. Disagreeing is just as reasonable. Some of your criticisms seem to go beyond the what a regular fan would have knowledge of. Your opinions are as valid as anyone else but they may be given more credibility if we could understand how you have reached your conclusions. Don’t answer if you don’t wish to but that may be a reason a lot of folks will “call you out” for the same criticisms and perceived (or otherwise) recurrent theme of negativity. You may be more knowledgeable or have the inside track that the rest of us don’t have. 

By saying “you’re out-of-bounds”, Shep was not just offering an opinion, but rather making an accusation. He was, how do you say, calling me out. 

Your “holier-than-thou” attitude is exhausting, also. Your questions are excessive and off-base. I’m not going to answer because that is distracting to this forum. But don’t worry, I’ll make sure to follow up on that “playing Madden 2021 and winning [my] fantasy FB league championship” in order to provide some validation to you fine folks on here.

Lastly, I think the comment “settle down” should be received just fine. It shouldn’t hurt too bad.  But, I guess, that is just *my opinion*. 

With that said, let’s get back to talking about University of North Dakota football, and less about individual posters’ backgrounds and perceptions, despite how hard it might be to not brag about your lifetime accomplishments.

• Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, they can’t have that mentality, so I stand by that. You’re making an assumption by saying I brought it up because I have someone in mind. 

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

By saying “you’re out-of-bounds”, Shep was not just offering an opinion, but rather making an accusation. He was, how do you say, calling me out. 

Let's go ahead and apply your own logic to your comment. By saying it, you were making an accusation and calling out one or more of the coaches out. No reason to even make such a ridiculous comment otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Let's go ahead and apply your own logic to your comment. By saying it, you were making an accusation and calling out one or more of the coaches out. No reason to even make such a ridiculous comment otherwise. 

Okay, that’s an assumption…

I’ll save us time; I’m calling out all of the coaches. Not one in particular. Do better.

With that, I respect them, so you all shouldn’t get too bent out of shape.

• Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Your “holier-than-thou” attitude is exhausting, also. Your questions are excessive and off-base. I’m not going to answer because that is distracting to this forum. But don’t worry, I’ll make sure to follow up on that “playing Madden 2021 and winning [my] fantasy FB league championship” in order to provide some validation to you fine folks on here.

Lastly, I think the comment “settle down” should be received just fine. It shouldn’t hurt too bad.  But, I guess, that is just *my opinion*. 

With that said, let’s get back to talking about University of North Dakota football, and less about individual posters’ backgrounds and perceptions, despite how hard it might be to not brag about your lifetime accomplishments.

Look, I can handle you telling me to settle down and drink more coffee, though at the time I wrote that about you, I had enough coffee.

You are right, I was making an accusation and your response did nothing but enforce that accusation, but I will not tell you to settle down. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Okay, that’s an assumption…

I’ll save us time; I’m calling out all of the coaches. Not one in particular. Do better.

With that, I respect them, so you all shouldn’t get too bent out of shape.

Only gent out of shape is UND-FB-FAN.  The only thru fan  Is UND-FB-FAN no one else cares.

23 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I’m not holier than anyone in fact I don’t think I would be described as holy. No one has mentioned accomplishments. I was trying to find out how you knew anything about the culture. I guess I shouldn’t have pointed out the irony of your constant criticisms of coaches and players, yet  to get upset when someone criticizes your comments.  I’m sorry if clarifying questions make you uncomfortable. 

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I, along with many others on the board, appreciate your input Ira.

Thanks. This is one night I know I’m not full of crap. I’m drinking a liter of golytely in preparation for my colonoscopy tomorrow. Hopefully, when you younger guys get older you won’t have to do this. :)

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not holier than anyone in fact I don’t think I would be described as holy. No one has mentioned accomplishments. I was trying to find out how you knew anything about the culture. I guess I shouldn’t have pointed out the irony of your constant criticisms of coaches and players, yet  to get upset when someone criticizes your comments.  I’m sorry if clarifying questions make you uncomfortable. 

You may not be holy but you can have a beer. I will gave a glass of wine.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, iramurphy said:

Thanks. This is one night I know I’m not full of crap. I’m drinking a liter of golytely in preparation for my colonoscopy tomorrow. Hopefully, when you younger guys get older you won’t have to do this. :)

I told my doctor check me on the cold slab.  I'm ready for the end.  good luck on yours

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

The ignore feature is a good tool to avoid tools.

Pretty sure I would have stopped visiting all of the football threads if I didn't have the ability to ignore the three stooges.  Wish everyone else would do the same.  You won't regret it.

6 hours ago, shep said:

Look, I can handle you telling me to settle down and drink more coffee, though at the time I wrote that about you, I had enough coffee.

You are right, I was making an accusation and your response did nothing but enforce that accusation, but I will not tell you to settle down. 

Drink *less* coffee. I think we’ve revealed the issue. Okay, on to the next topic. 

5 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Clarification? So this is the time and place for such inquisition? 

Not uncomfortable, just fully aware of the malicious intent on your behalf, therefore I’m not going to aimlessly expand. 

Good luck.