SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2022

UNDBIZ

3 minutes ago, shep said:

Coley, a really nice athlete and a safety is in the Portal

Best of luck. You’d think we’ll see one of the corners enter as well over the next couple of days. 

*Early indications were that all Secondary members that could use their 5th year were going to, so there was going to be movement elsewhere.

33 minutes ago, shep said:

Coley, a really nice athlete and a safety is in the Portal

UND’s defense was bad this season. With the exception of a few, most of the defensive players transferring out is a good thing. These transfers were probably somewhat promoted by the coaching staff. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If we had someone better, I would assume they would have been the starter, correct?

This is my thought.  You want to improve the secondary we need to retain the starters and being in competition.  I can’t think of one transfer that has come in the last few years and made an instant impact.

Hopefully retain Buchner and a healthy Fort is a starting point at safety.  Any improvement is either development or finding the right fit in the portal.  

23 minutes ago, homer said:

This is my thought.  You want to improve the secondary we need to retain the starters and being in competition.  I can’t think of one transfer that has come in the last few years and made an instant impact.

Hopefully retain Buchner and a healthy Fort is a starting point at safety.  Any improvement is either development or finding the right fit in the portal.  

If we think we are going to make improvements through the portal, gonna be a long wait.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, homer said:

Not saying I want everyone back but not sure bringing in 22 new players is a better solution. 

Certainly don’t want 22 new players but can’t imagine anyone thinking status quo on defense is acceptable…. Definitely need to go after at least a corner and safety that could step in.  Those are a must or we are destined for mediocrity - at best - again.  We need to again develop a winning culture and we won’t do that with abysmal coverage and no skills tackling in space. We have to improve in those areas period.

12 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

Certainly don’t want 22 new players but can’t imagine anyone thinking status quo on defense is acceptable…. Definitely need to go after at least a corner and safety that could step in.  Those are a must or we are destined for mediocrity - at best - again.  We need to again develop a winning culture and we won’t do that with abysmal coverage and no skills tackling in space. We have to improve in those areas period.

Good points. Tackling was a big issue. Athleticism deficiencies can lead to missed tackles 

Here's my thought. When the season ends, there's clearly an internal audit of each positional group. The Portal / Extra Covid year has added a new layer. I want to concentrate on OLB / Safety, since I believe they were the two biggest weaknesses on the defense, as well as have many parallels. The first important component is only one player has no eligibility left (Cooper). Almost everyone can come back. These were both position groups that the 2-Deep was very heavy on upperclassman. 

What's the strategy. For me, the two most important things are (1) You cannot run it back with the same group. (2) More importantly, you cannot start over. What do you do? For me, if you feel a soon to be 5th year guy is the most important piece, then you have to offset that with another Upperclassman in this situation. Both MJV / Coley's request happened on Friday (although Coley announced on Saturday). Seems very strategic to me. 

What do I want to happen? Exactly what did. That was Part 1 for those two positional groups. Part 2 is and I know this will not be popular with at least one of these, but KK, Buckner, Mullin all need to return. I hope they all do. 

The coaching staff will either feel they can promote from within (i.e. Fort / Davis / Sutton / Boekner, ect) or else they'll go to the Portal. 

I feel really good about the moves that have happened so far in the offseason. The next key piece is for a non-starter at CB that did play that's an upperclassman to hit the portal. That is if indeed Siegel returns. That will hopefully be the last portal entry. 

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

Here's my thought. When the season ends, there's clearly an internal audit of each positional group. The Portal / Extra Covid year has added a new layer. I want to concentrate on OLB / Safety, since I believe they were the two biggest weaknesses on the defense, as well as have many parallels. The first important component is only one player has no eligibility left (Cooper). Almost everyone can come back. These were both position groups that the 2-Deep was very heavy on upperclassman. 

What's the strategy. For me, the two most important things are (1) You cannot run it back with the same group. (2) More importantly, you cannot start over. What do you do? For me, if you feel a soon to be 5th year guy is the most important piece, then you have to offset that with another Upperclassman in this situation. Both MJV / Coley's request happened on Friday (although Coley announced on Saturday). Seems very strategic to me. 

What do I want to happen? Exactly what did. That was Part 1 for those two positional groups. Part 2 is and I know this will not be popular with at least one of these, but KK, Buckner, Mullin all need to return. I hope they all do. 

The coaching staff will either feel they can promote from within (i.e. Fort / Davis / Sutton / Boekner, ect) or else they'll go to the Portal. 

I feel really good about the moves that have happened so far in the offseason. The next key piece is for a non-starter at CB that did play that's an upperclassman to hit the portal. That is if indeed Siegel returns. That will hopefully be the last portal entry. 

I’m fine with KK returning as long as he’s at OLB.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

OLB or portal in my mind for him.

Absolutely cannot be starting safety again.  My concern with olb is his inability to tackle in space.  That may answer the coverage problem, but waving at running backs blowing by isn’t any better at olb…

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

Absolutely cannot be starting safety again.  My concern with olb is his inability to tackle in space.  That may answer the coverage problem, but waving at running backs blowing by isn’t any better at olb…

Some of it may be coaching strategy.  Entire secondary looked to strip this year instead of hit and tackle - which resulted in getting carried 5 to 8 yards more than should have been allowed way too many times….

1 minute ago, Hans8891 said:

Some of it may be coaching strategy.  Entire secondary looked to strip this year instead of hit and tackle - which resulted in getting carried 5 to 8 yards more than should have been allowed way too many times….

These kids are coached to form tackle properly. Our team didn’t tackle well this year. You focus more on knocking the ball out when either you need a turnover toward the end of a game or the opportunity presents due to poor ball security by the ball carrier. 

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

These kids are coached to form tackle properly. Our team didn’t tackle well this year. You focus more on knocking the ball out when either you need a turnover toward the end of a game or the opportunity presents due to poor ball security by the ball carrier. 

Maybe but our tackling was very poor.  Grab by the pads and ride seemed to be our method far too often all year…

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

Is your hope that some combination of Fort / Buckner / Ball / Davis will start with KK providing back up? What I've picked up the last couple of years is it takes time to develop at the safety position at UND. Must be a lot you have to know. I'm hoping for your sake and others that you think that UND will just pick up a couple of "Cole Reyes" types and that's the solution for next year. I'm not saying they aren't looking for one, but I'm guessing you'll see them ready to rock with mostly what's on the roster currently. 

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

Is your hope that some combination of Fort / Buckner / Ball / Davis will start with KK providing back up? What I've picked up the last couple of years is it takes time to develop at the safety position at UND. Must be a lot you have to know. I'm hoping for your sake and others that you think that UND will just pick up a couple of "Cole Reyes" types and that's the solution for next year. I'm not saying they aren't looking for one, but I'm guessing you'll see them ready to rock with mostly what's on the roster currently. 

Watch the coverage in the southern Illinois game - or lack thereof.  Then watch the bison and Weber games tackling after their backs breached the line of scrimmage.  I am very hopeful we can improve in those areas, but I am not confident a fifth year senior can be expected to show tons of improvement after his 4th year.  The younger guys I hope will take real steps forward.  Anyone that honestly watched those games would have to say we need real help - or significant improvement - in that phase of the game.  No question qb pressure would help on the coverage issue as well.  The reality is the portal is here and here to stay.  You either fill gaps or get left behind…

• Upvote 1