SiouxSports.com Forum

Transfer Portal 2022

UNDBIZ

59 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND just not a great destination for these portal kids.

Need to do better recruiting locally and developing. 

More and more, starting to think strength and conditioning the major issue. But also, the body types you start with (the recruits) is key. 

Really? We’ve snagged some portal guys who had a ton of competing offers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Really? We’ve snagged some portal guys who had a ton of competing offers.

Let’s see how it plays out. Definitely an opportunity to get a couple good kids, but the nucleus will need to be developed (or at least development key if und takes the next step). Too often the kids that go through this program, after 5 years, still aren’t strong, fast and mean enough to create a championship team.  

• Downvote 1

Coley transfers to Murray State. That was his best offer. I think it was agreed on here that him entering the portal was most likely mutual. Like the others at his position, he had a really rough year overall. I did have really high hopes for him following his sophomore campaign. 

I really hope that safety room is being closely evaluated this winter. If a STARTER's best offer is Murray State, nothing more needs to be said about their performance as a group last year. 

Best of luck to him at Murray State!

6 minutes ago, AJS said:

Coley transfers to Murray State. That was his best offer. I think it was agreed on here that him entering the portal was most likely mutual. Like the others at his position, he had a really rough year overall. I did have really high hopes for him following his sophomore campaign. 

I really hope that safety room is being closely evaluated this winter. If a STARTER's best offer is Murray State, nothing more needs to be said about their performance as a group last year. 

Yep best of luck.  

23 minutes ago, AJS said:

One thing I think we should keep in mind is that the coach of the safety group should be under as much if not more scrutiny than the players. It’s not good enough, and it’s been that way for a while.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

One thing I think we should keep in mind is that the coach of the safety group should be under as much if not more scrutiny than the players. It’s not good enough, and it’s been that way for a while.

DBs or Safeties?
They are listed separately: https://fightinghawks.com/sports/football/coaches?path=football 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

The part I find interesting is if Coley isn't good enough to play next year so we make the nudge or the mutual agreement for the portal, then why didn't we put some of our younger guys out and give them some playing time this year? Do we think they will make that big of a jump by next Fall to be better than where Coley was? Or do we really think we will pull in some portal guys? We did that with Buchner last year, and he didn't exactly shine. Maybe he will be better after a year in the system.

17 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

The part I find interesting is if Coley isn't good enough to play next year so we make the nudge or the mutual agreement for the portal, then why didn't we put some of our younger guys out and give them some playing time this year? Do we think they will make that big of a jump by next Fall to be better than where Coley was? Or do we really think we will pull in some portal guys? We did that with Buchner last year, and he didn't exactly shine. Maybe he will be better after a year in the system.

I think Sammy Fort started the Nebraska game before getting hurt.

18 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Here's my best guess. You had KK / Fort / Coley as returners who had experience. KK / Fort started against Nebraska. Fort gets hurt early, he's out for the year. KK / Coley are now the only two with any experience. They would be your natural starters. Buckner had experience elsewhere, I did think he looked better at the end of the year once he got comfortable. Ball was on the 2-Deep, played. Davis got some time as well.

As far as the portal. I think the Coaching staff grouped KK / Buckner / Fort / Coley together (Seniors). Coley ended up being the odd man out. You definitely couldn't leave this group stagnant after last year. That was done, because I'm guessing KK / Buckner are back. Fort will be healthy. Ball / Davis with another year. Sutton will now be a RS-Freshman. 

My best guess is we won't see Portal adds at that position. The hope / belief will be that Buckner will take a huge step with a full year under his belt. Fort will be healthy / return as a starter. (Buckner / Fort starters). Maybe have KK take a step back(ish), be that 3rd guy. Ball / Davis, both take an extra step with a year. Sutton now be a year older, ready for some playing time. 

My final thought being that position was a weakness last year, no doubt. There were other areas that didn't help it out. Need to improve just about everywhere on Defense.

On 12/19/2022 at 8:29 AM, AJS said:

Below is the current list of portal offers. Did I miss anyone? Really important next few days. Need to get a few of these guys. 

• Elidor (USD) - WR: Austin Peay, NAU, ISU-Red, McNeese State, UT-Martin <-- UND GOT HIM! 
  • Peterson (Iowa State) - D-Line: NDSU, UNC-Charlotte, ISU-Red, Kent State, WKU, ODU, UNI, USD
  • Holmes (Northern Illinois) - D-Line: Murray State, Eastern Illinois, Samford
  • Saltonstall (New Mexico) - D-Line: Samford, Tarleton
  • Schuster (Syracuse) - O-Line: NIU, EMU, Ball State, ISU-Red, BGSU, USD
  • Durfee (USF) - D-Line: Committed to Washington

Update in BOLD. :) 

How/where did you accumulate this list? 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Update in BOLD. :) 

How/where did you accumulate this list? 

Twitter. Tom Miller / 360 are always on top of tweeting out when an offer is made. An important note is the source of the offer is the player himself. It’s possible other offers have been made, where that player doesn’t make them public. 

Below is @AJScurrent list of portal offers. 

• Elidor (USD) - WR: Austin Peay, NAU, ISU-Red, McNeese State, UT-Martin <-- UND GOT HIM! 
  • Peterson (Iowa State) - D-Line: NDSU, UNC-Charlotte, ISU-Red, Kent State, WKU, ODU, UNI, USD
  • Saltonstall (New Mexico) - D-Line: Samford, Tarleton <-- UND GOT HIM! 
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

• Elidor (USD) - WR: Austin Peay, NAU, ISU-Red, McNeese State, UT-Martin <-- UND GOT HIM! 

Awesome!!

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

3 out of 6 isn't bad. ;)

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

This is very encouraging!

23 hours ago, AJS said:

Here's my best guess. You had KK / Fort / Coley as returners who had experience. KK / Fort started against Nebraska. Fort gets hurt early, he's out for the year. KK / Coley are now the only two with any experience. They would be your natural starters. Buckner had experience elsewhere, I did think he looked better at the end of the year once he got comfortable. Ball was on the 2-Deep, played. Davis got some time as well.

As far as the portal. I think the Coaching staff grouped KK / Buckner / Fort / Coley together (Seniors). Coley ended up being the odd man out. You definitely couldn't leave this group stagnant after last year. That was done, because I'm guessing KK / Buckner are back. Fort will be healthy. Ball / Davis with another year. Sutton will now be a RS-Freshman. 

My best guess is we won't see Portal adds at that position. The hope / belief will be that Buckner will take a huge step with a full year under his belt. Fort will be healthy / return as a starter. (Buckner / Fort starters). Maybe have KK take a step back(ish), be that 3rd guy. Ball / Davis, both take an extra step with a year. Sutton now be a year older, ready for some playing time. 

My final thought being that position was a weakness last year, no doubt. There were other areas that didn't help it out. Need to improve just about everywhere on Defense.

This defense will be in big trouble if they don't get some more help in that position. KK should not be starting on a D1 football team, Buckner needs to make a huge step from last year, Ball and Davis are far away from being ready. With what little we got to see from Fort hopefully he's going to be a solid starter but do you rely on that? The safety position was the worst UND has had in years and maybe ever. Can't keep the same players and hope for a different outcome. Need to hit the portal and hope for a guy to contribute right away!