SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown 10/8/22

SiouxFan100

1 hour ago, AJS said:

I thought the exact same thing. It reminds me going into the Northern Iowa game as well, I felt good about UND's chances until I listened to the 360 podcast. Both times, after listening I felt like there was no way UND had a chance. Sounds to me like Youngstown will be the best team in every facet that UND has faced so far. Outside of their passing offense. Hoping like UNI, UND can pull off the win against a borderline flawless opponent. 

Some more thoughts (non-360 related).

• Good:
    • Like where UND's offense is right now. Multi-faceted. I feel good about the unit in general.
    • Youngstown is a run first offense. Feel much better going up against that then a pass happy offense.
  • Bad:
    • This is a game that a Bubba coached team has routinely lost. 

This is the chance for UND to completely redeem themselves from the SIU debacle. Like against SIU, this is another opportunity game. Win and you're right in the mix of all FCS discussions. Both locally and nationally. UND's program could really use this one.

Sounds like they have a good off line. QB aren't very good though 

As far as not using Smith enough, I think we've used him about the right amount.  As was mention Hoos is just better between the tackles than Smith, and somewhat like Brady O. he rarely doesn't get at least a little positive yardage even if not much is there.  Also Hoos showed he's not necessarily slow either....in that long run last week....he looked pretty fast and nobody was really gaining much ground on him after he broke through the hole and was out in the open.  I'd rather start the game out with Hoos and pick up some tough yards up the middle and get some momentum running the ball and then bring and mix in Smith for screen passes and what not, pretty much like Danny has being doing it.  I think Smith and Hoos are a great compliment to each other and Danny is being pretty smart about it so far.  Also as someone else mentioned, Smith tends to go hobling off at least once a game.....so it's good to keep him somewhat fresh when we need him like on that pitch play.  Smith is still a pretty important piece of our offense.  I love having an offense where you don't know who is going to get the ball......or where.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Check out this pass from Tommy to Maag at about the 4:05 mark.  The non verbal communication.  I love it when Tommy extends plays.  He is awesome this year especially.

I was thinking/wondering earlier in the week if they keep stats of yards on scramble passes outside of the pocket after a a play breaks down (so not designed rollouts), Tommy would have to be near the top or at the top on passing yards on scramble plays like that........he makes 4 or 5 of those a game it seems like.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shep said:

Siegel is the best in the conference right now on the KO return

Kostich gonna Kostick  ;)

If Skokna was back, at least we wouldn't have to worry about Siegel getting injured on a kickoff, but yeah he is doing a great job on returns.  

3 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Check out this pass from Tommy to Maag at about the 4:05 mark.  The non verbal communication.  I love it when Tommy extends plays.  He is awesome this year especially.

Despite a lot of people criticizing him and his arm strength (not so much this year), plays like this are the reason I've always been a Tommy advocate.  His high completion rate isn't just luck or a result of the system we run - he has an "it" factor to his game.  Same with the lack of sacks he takes, especially last year.  His pocket awareness is special.

• Upvote 2

If UND has a strong showing in Youngstown we will have two weeks to build hype and sell tickets for the SDSU game.  As mentioned, this is also a classic UND let down game.  Hopefully Bubba can show that the worm has finally turned in GF!

2 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

Kostich gonna Kostick  ;)

If Skokna was back, at least we wouldn't have to worry about Siegel getting injured on a kickoff, but yeah he is doing a great job on returns.  

agreed...cj gets hurt and we're done...give the kr duties to someone else....bc kostitch gonna kostitch

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

agreed...cj gets hurt and we're done...give the kr duties to someone else....bc kostitch gonna kostitch

CJ is cool his isn't going to fumble.  Skokna would be good but probably not this season.  CJ is taking us to the next level.

10 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

And if we don’t get some of the big returns Siegel is capable of we likely lose an additional game or two and the season is done.  

Play your best players whether it’s return game or coverage.  We don’t have the luxury yet to just have a return guy.  Guys like Siegel also need to show they can do this to increase value at the next level.