SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown 10/8/22

SiouxFan100

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Did they change their prediction to a UND win?

Yes, but they are both still thinking by less than a touchdown.  Not sure what to make of this game now.  I was thinking a win by two possessions (9-16 points).

• The Sicatoka changed the title to UND @ Youngstown 10/8/22
18 hours ago, Dustin said:

If you (any one of you, not just forksandspoons) were asked, "What is the strength of UND's offense?", what would your response be?

Cerebral quarterback play.
Short-yardage offensive package.
RB skill sets. 
LT play.

Weakness?
Center to QB exchanges
Lack of speed receiver
Untimely penalties

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Lack of speed receiver

On the podcast, they were saying Maag was one of the fastest on the team.  Is that true?  Do they know what they're talking about?  Maybe we just a slow team??  They were also praising Smith's and Hoosman's speed, too.

1 hour ago, forksandspoons said:

I think YSU is a better team than a lot of people think. The Hawks will need to play a great game to win. Can’t wait for Saturday!

Youngstown will be full of good athletes, play physical football and be a tough place to play.  

They probably should have beat us last year at our place.  It was as flat of a game as we have played.  

51 minutes ago, Dustin said:

On the podcast, they were saying Maag was one of the fastest on the team.  Is that true?  Do they know what they're talking about?  Maybe we just a slow team??  They were also praising Smith's and Hoosman's speed, too.

Maag has had hammy issues in the past.  I think at his best he's pretty fast and reports are his health is good right now.  With his size he's probably moving faster than appears.  Smith faster than Hoosman.

30 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Is it just me, or have we not used Smith as much as we should be using him, considering his speed?

Depends how we use him. Running between the tackles he doesn't seem to have the vision or escapability as Hoosman. If you can get him into space, then watch out. I loved the little misdirection play with the pitch to him this last week. If you can find a way to use that again with a different variation I'd be all for it. Also love Smith's pass catching abilities. Danny just needs to stay creative, can't say enough how much more fun this offense is than Rudy's offense was. Its not always perfect, but it is sooo much more fun.

I just don't know what to think about this game. I was think we got this .... Then I was thinking if this was at home we should dominate, but we just need to prove it on the road. After listening to the 360 guys it sounds like we are playing NFL O and D lines, but looking at the stats Youngstown doesn't have a ton going for them other than their RB; their QBs don't appear to do much. Though they did keep their game against the Bison within reach. Soooo I just don't know. I still think the good guys get this and I'd like to see the offense continue clicking.

• Upvote 2

Haven't listened to the 360 podcast yet but YSU didn't have much offense last year and it was a very close game at home. I think our offense is better than last year, but defense probably not as good. I think it's a pretty good matchup for us but I'm not counting my chickens just yet. Need to show up and play with a sense of purpose on Saturday. Hoping our defense gets a few turnovers to help us out, sounds like they are prone to throwing INT's. Definitely won't be surprised if this game is still in reach for either team well into the 4th quarter. 

3 hours ago, Dustin said:

Well it was Freund that said that Maag is the fastest so I assume he knows what he’s talking about. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I just don't know what to think about this game. I was think we got this .... Then I was thinking if this was at home we should dominate, but we just need to prove it on the road. After listening to the 360 guys it sounds like we are playing NFL O and D lines, but looking at the stats Youngstown doesn't have a ton going for them other than their RB; their QBs don't appear to do much. Though they did keep their game against the Bison within reach. Soooo I just don't know. I still think the good guys get this and I'd like to see the offense continue clicking.

NDSU played an extremely sloppy game, they could've had 3 interceptions and just didn't hold on to the ball. Their offense kept committing penalties too, with holdings and false starts. That'll be an emphasis for our guys up front too, having a 3 yard loss on isn't as bad as getting set back 10 yards with a penalty. 

2 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I thought the exact same thing. It reminds me going into the Northern Iowa game as well, I felt good about UND's chances until I listened to the 360 podcast. Both times, after listening I felt like there was no way UND had a chance. Sounds to me like Youngstown will be the best team in every facet that UND has faced so far. Outside of their passing offense. Hoping like UNI, UND can pull off the win against a borderline flawless opponent. 

Some more thoughts (non-360 related).

• Good:
    • Like where UND's offense is right now. Multi-faceted. I feel good about the unit in general.
    • Youngstown is a run first offense. Feel much better going up against that then a pass happy offense.
  • Bad:
    • This is a game that a Bubba coached team has routinely lost. 

This is the chance for UND to completely redeem themselves from the SIU debacle. Like against SIU, this is another opportunity game. Win and you're right in the mix of all FCS discussions. Both locally and nationally. UND's program could really use this one.

• Upvote 1