SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Youngstown 10/8/22

SiouxFan100

14 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

Check out this pass from Tommy to Maag at about the 4:05 mark.  The non verbal communication.  I love it when Tommy extends plays.  He is awesome this year especially.

As good of a pass play by a receiver and QB I have seen watching UND FB.  

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Bubba loses this game and the air deflates out of fan base again

Bubba isn’t playing.  This coaching staff is putting our players in a position to be successful. The opposing staff does the same for their team. Our successes and failures are primarily up to the players. I don’t ever recall teammates blaming our coaches. 
The air needs to get into the fan base before it deflates. We have a room for improvement. 
As for the Kostich critics you have no clue. Our punter arrived cascade freshman and struggled to average 40 yds/punt. This year he is netting over 40yds per punt and has developed the ability to punt the “Aussie” style to pin teams inside their 20. Our kicker struggled to put KO in the end zone and now have been pretty consistent. Since he arrived he is much more consistent with his FGs. All punters will have a bad punt occasionally. All kickers will miss FGs or have a short KO. All KO and punt coverage will get burned occasionally. All long snappers will have a bad snap. The fact is, our special teams have steadily improved under Kostich. I also know some will blame him when players make a mistake. He has done a very good job. People often forget the importance of special teams. Count how many punts,  XPs, FGs, KOs, both offensively and defensively in each game. Thus far we have done well. The issue of potential injury to Siegel is legitimate. I assume coaches have weighed risk vs benefits. If he gets hurt, they made the wrong choice. If he breaks one or continues to get extra yards on returns then we got lucky. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Bubba isn’t playing.  This coaching staff is putting our players in a position to be successful. The opposing staff does the same for their team. Our successes and failures are primarily up to the players. I don’t ever recall teammates blaming our coaches.

Bubba and his staff recruited all of these players. Therefore, the buck stops with him. Not his assistants. And not the team captains. Based on this logic, Mussman should have gotten as much time as he wanted, when it was obvious the program was headed for Northern Colorado territory.

As for putting them in position to be successful, that is sometimes open to debate (like the 4th down play on our own 20 vs. NDSU last year). This team is showing signs of significant progress, but until they can put together a consistent performance on the road, they won't go far in the FCS playoffs, if they qualify.

6 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

The air needs to get into the fan base before it deflates. We have a room for improvement. 

Yeah, agree with you here. The Sioux Falls home loss in 2009 did a lot of damage to the reputation of the program. So did all those blowout losses in 2013.

7 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

The issue of potential injury to Siegel is legitimate. I assume coaches have weighed risk vs benefits. If he gets hurt, they made the wrong choice. If he breaks one or continues to get extra yards on returns then we got lucky. 

I think you have to put your best athletes in important positions. And kickoff returns are important. I think it is worth the risk.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

His HS stats are amazing.  What sold me on Tommy is the Sam Houston game.  He was 3rd string QB.  Running the scout team.  True freshman not in the rotation to run the offense.  First string was injured.  Second string started injured in 2nd qtr.  Tommy played amazingly with no reps with first team.  UND beat Sammy.  Next morning I saw Bubba meeting a recruit.  I introduce myself.  Told that kid has ice in his veins.  To this day I believe Tommy is the smartest QB UND has ever had.  The opponent could drop a nuke and Tommy would be looking for the open receiver.  Just a bit of hyperbole.

I've been a fan ever since as well. Kid has stones and you can't teach that.

23 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think you have to put your best athletes in important positions. And kickoff returns are important. I think it is worth the risk.

He's second in MVFC and 14 in the country in average return yards, he's been valuable putting us into good field position consistently. I think he'll bust one sooner rather than later

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Therefore every failure is the coaches fault and every success is the player.

This is actually true, though. Convince me otherwise. Players win the games and coaches lose them.

Many knowledgeable sources in high school, college and professional football have supported this and I believe it to be true. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 108498 said:

What radio station will have the football game tomorrow? The regular station has hockey tomorrow while football is playing.

Typical bull$%!#. 
UND with its typical ass backwards !@#$. No attempt to compete with the big boys of the region (NDSU, SDSU, Minnesota, etc.).

.. emphasize a niche sport with minimal competition in an over-funded arena …  

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is actually true, though. Convince me otherwise. Players win the games and coaches lose them.

Many knowledgeable sources in high school, college and professional football have supported this and I believe it to be true. 

Your “knowledgeable sources” aren’t paying attention then. My opinion is based on  HS, College and NFL experiences not someone else’s. Players and coaches are responsible for the successes and failures of plays, games and seasons. The responsibility varies at different times. But this thread is about the Youngstown game.  I believe our team will be well prepared and has a good chance of beating a good team on the road. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Players and coaches are responsible for the successes and failures of plays, games and seasons. The responsibility varies at different times.

We’re basically saying the same thing, then. 

Let’s hope UND’s coaches and players are ready for Youngstown State University. Need to win today’s game to raise the expectations.