SiouxSports.com Forum

Football Jersey/Helmet Discussion

Siouxperfan7

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

These mock ups are fine, but I don’t think the logo needs a makeover, just offer a different helmet color.

Albeit, if the athletic department and football program actually were willing to entertain a different logo on the alternate helmet, I’d say go ahead and try it. But I think UND has put enough effort into nicknames and logos over the past 20 years for the next 100 years. Stay as far away from nicknames and logos as possible for the near future.  It’s been a waste of time and resources to say the least.

Just stick with the current logo and slap it on a nice white or all matte black helmet for an alternate 

Agreed.  All these mockups are fun to do and look at, bujt the current logo is just fine for now.  Need an alternate helmet.  Many Valley schools have at least one.  Every Dakota school has at least one. Sick of this program/school laging behind in everything we do.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Agreed.  All these mockups are fun to do and look at, bujt the current logo is just fine for now.  Need an alternate helmet.  Many Valley schools have at least one.  Every Dakota school has at least one. Sick of this program/school laging behind in everything we do.

Yep for sure. Again, the amount of resources and time put into nickname/logo defense and then re-development has hurt UND. Time to move forward. 

on the little connecting "walkway" between i think the education building and i think o'kelly....there is a marquee above the door of an interlocking U,N,D....the Nand D are in line with each other and the 'U' splits the n and the d...interesting they didn't just use the und flame logo..i'll get a pic next time i'm biking thru....

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I do think our matte green helmets are hard to beat no matter what logo is on it!

I wouldn’t mind something unique or throwback for an alternate helmet. Maybe we need a student design competition!

6 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I do think our matte green helmets are hard to beat no matter what logo is on it!

I wouldn’t mind something unique or throwback for an alternate helmet. Maybe we need a student design competition!

agreed...just some ideas about a secondary helmet if the budget is found somewhere...

On 9/23/2022 at 8:48 PM, SiouxForever said:

Kudos on the skills/work. If I am being truly honest, I can’t stand how the “North Dakota” font looks. The “D” looks terrible in my opinion.

If we took a random people poll that doesn’t have any clue of UND football and the university etc. I wonder how many people think this logo displays a “ND” ? Serious question. 

I’ve come to hate the North Dakota font myself and just can’t get over that “D” looking more like an “O.”

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, UND Football Fan said:

Found this the other day (January 1917), Orange and Black for football….I think not.

71F50052-001E-4B87-89AF-9BF2215BD60A.jpeg

Interesting article, from the UND Flickertail days. 

I wasn't born yet for another 35 years. But, I'd say the color change was followed up with some resistance from the football only fans.

This was about the time the ND Agricultural College was called the Fighting Aggies.

Just a friendly reminder of ... NCAA Football Rule 1, Article 5.a.1

... No other undergarment (e.g., T-shirt) shall extend below the waistline at the torso. ... 

PENALTY—Administer as a dead-ball foul. 15 yards at the succeeding spot following the kickoff. If the kickoff is returned for a touchdown, the penalty is assessed either on the try or on the succeeding kickoff, at the option of the home team.  In addition, Officials shall charge a team timeout at the start of each quarter the illegal jerseys are worn, or a foul for delay of the game if all timeouts have been used.

After watching SDSU@NDSU I bring this up for no particular reason ... :whistling:

UND's official academic colors are green and pink (colors of a prairie rose). UND's official athletics colors are green (Pantone 347), black, and white. (It's deemed the pink would not garner proper respect so it's not used.) 

But the UND script logo is green with an orange flame.
Is that some acknowledgement of the past use of orange? (Before you say flames are orange, they could've gone red or yellow flame.) 

I think it might be time to go to the roof and put on the @Teeder11signal for an explanation. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2022 at 11:21 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Interesting article, from the UND Flickertail days. 

I wasn't born yet for another 35 years. But, I'd say the color change was followed up with some resistance from the football only fans.

This was about the time the ND Agricultural College was called the Fighting Aggies.

NDSU switched to Bison in in 1922. Well, according to the spectrum it was ‘Bissons’, lol. 

8 hours ago, NDSU grad said:

NDSU switched to Bison in in 1922. Well, according to the spectrum it was ‘Bissons’, lol. 

Bissons and Flickertails is what is was.
Eight years later....

"Sioux" Replaces "Flickertail" as Caption of University Sports Teams reads the top of the Dakota Students on October 2, 1930.  In the first column, it read, "at convocation yesterday morning the formal and official announcement was made that the athletic board of control had conducted the rites of changing the name and had given their sanction to the abolition of Flickertail and the enactment of the more appropriate Sioux" 

For the next 39 years, the University of North Dakota's athletic nickname was the Sioux. In the 60s, the word "Fighting" was added to make it "Fighting Sioux." 

The History of the Fighting Sioux by Franklin Sage

By Dr. Erich Longie on March 15, 2012 6:22 AM

Soon thereafter (1970), a student expressed his disapproval of the images. And, you know the end of this story.
MODS, could this be called a thread drift, sorry - just had to respond to this poster that wasn't trolling.