SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Nebraska 9/3/22

SiouxFan100

Important to really understand what FBS means. It means more scholarships and usually more money with television contracts. Beyond that, the coaches on FBS teams still coach the same game that FCS coaches coach. Rules are the same. Football field is still the same width and length. Point being, there is a very wide spectrum of football amongst FBS teams.

Simply chalking something up to FCS vs FBS is a lazy way of making an argument. We’ve seen many FCS upsets of FBS over the recent years, including Power 5 teams. The top FCS teams consistently match up with FBS because football remains the same; you need good players on the field that can tackle and block. And even if FBS has more scholarships, FCS can still develop and instruct good starting players to see the field. 

Final point; don’t take the embarrassing way out by saying it was/is an FCS vs FBS matchup. It doesn’t mean as much as you think. 

example: und lost a lead @ Utah state last season in the second half, it was FCS/FBS, but turns out und had the same problem all season long against fcs opponents as well. Football is still football, regardless of scholarship numbers and television contracts 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I assume you are smart enough to know why they will never play NDSU but UND has no trouble scheduling them? It is not a compliment to UND. 

damn you’re cool … Fargo university “football only school” but yet still not important in grand scheme of things …so unimportant they can’t even be scheduled to play big schools anymore 

sucks to suck 

go back to bisonville where you can continue your delusional existence

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Remember last year when we lost to that really bad Utah State team that actually ended up going 11-3 and beating a Pac-12 team in a bowl game?

How about we let the season play out for Nebraska before likening them to Prairie View.  I don't think they are that good, and you can all quote me here when they go 1-11, but maybe things click for Texas transfer QB and they decide that Grant needs 30 touches a game.  Ohh, and obviously no onside kicks with the lead. :lol:

I'm pissed we lost too.  A play or two a different way and maybe we pull off the upset.

But losing to 11-3 Utah State didn’t make UND a good team in 2021. UND had losing record in 2021. No moral victories. Bubba still needs to be held accountable.

With that said, I completely agree. Let’s let the season play out. Let’s see what happens next week vs UNI. UND needs to continue to improve because a 38-17 loss at Nebraska means nothing - still need to get better and UND has an opportunity to do that. The season is young. 

Bison media want only a 16 team playoff or better yet 12 0r 8 since there are only 4 teams that could win it.

I’m sure they will be for the expanded fbs expansion of playoffs so when they make that jump they will automatically be in the fbs playoffs every year 

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

Respectfully request that the Juice U stuff ends. It is not really relevant to UND discussions.

Noted…after the first comment.

1. Still has my mother-feathers ruffled, big time.

2. I will refrain because it is taking the low road to their level. We are better than that; my mother said always take the high road.

3. The RapeU comment should have been totally offensive to everyone but I congratulate all of you who stepped around the pike and ignored it.

GO UND. On to next week. 

Coaching is important in all sports and is supreme in football.  it’s the reason teams with less talent consistently beat teams with more talent.  
Does anyone think SDSU has anywhere near the talent(on paper) that Iowa has?  SDSU was one play away from a win in a game where quite frankly they did not play very well.

i thought Bubba made a tactical mistake yesterday not going for it early in Nebraska territory.  UND needed to get the lead early to give ourselves better odds at bringing a victory home.  I realize we committed a penalty on 4th down and made it tougher, but you don’t punt in that situation.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Noted…after the first comment.

1. Still has my mother-feathers ruffled, big time.

2. I will refrain because it is taking the low road to their level. We are better than that; my mother said always take the high road.

3. The RapeU comment should have been totally offensive to everyone but I congratulate all of you who stepped around the pike and ignored it.

GO UND. On to next week. 

Rape U is just as accurate as Juice U. Neither should be used to refer to ndsu or UND.

The clutching of your pearls doesn’t change that.

Taken as a single game there was a lot to like about our effort.  However, put in the context of Bubba's teams we see the same frustrating patterns.  We were in position to possibly have a huge road win against a strong opponent.  Then mistakes and a 4th quarter collapse led to a 21 point defeat.  Uneven special teams play and the inability to throw the ball down field along with some blown coverages and here we are again.  Rinse, repeat.  At some point (hopefully soon) Bubba needs to get it done.  I know it is up to the players to execute but the difference in consistency and execution between a top program and a mediocre one is huge.  We need to step it up to get to the next level.  There were some real positive take-aways from the game but the same old things bit us once again.  We all hope that this is the year we put it all together.

• Upvote 3

Reading through this message board reminds me roughly of the picture below. I happen to believe you can be happy with the game yesterday and yet disappointed that we fell apart/ran out of gas in the 4th quarter.  The most worrisome part of the game to me was our lack of willingness/ability to throw the ball down the field.  Other than the 1 attempt to Belquist (who was very open) early in the game I dont remember another attempt to throw the ball over 10 yards.  Every so often you have to at least attempt a longer pass and trust our WR's to come up with the ball even if they arent wide open (hello Nebraska 3rd and 15).  Our running game looks solid.. the O-line should continue to improve.. the defense showed some promise.. our kicker didnt miss any extra points or FG's.. the Punting needs to improve and for goodness sake Danny/Tommy.. chuck that pigskin further than 10 yards down the field.  I am super excited for the game next weekend against UNI and believe and expect we should win that game.  I will have a strongly different opinion if the Fn Hawks get beat next weekend. 

By the way.. everyone in Bisonville would have rather been playing the game we played in rather than playing the vaunted nonscholarship Drake Bulldogs.  I, for one, am surprised that Drake scored 14 points.. Fn Hawks played them twice and Drake scored 7 points total between both games.. Next up on their schedule.. Horace High School.  Im sure we will continue to hear.... "but nobody will pick up the phone..  Alabama wont schedule a home and home with us.. blah blah blah.."

image.png.a40df3665312326d536d3e2adb3bfb4b.png

• Upvote 4

Wheelsup hit the nail on the head…what a great experience for our team. 109% of the Nebraska fans were polite, helpful, and many wished me good luck. I am sure those kids in their first game were in AWE. I mean 86,000 people in red and ?560 in green. Overall, great job coaches and team.

Could have some green-eyed monsters peaking around the corner!

Very encouraging that they could run the ball. Smith and Hoosman looked good.

Liked what I saw from Red Wilson, I was shocked that they went to Kupfer for the deep shot in the 2nd half. Red Wilson seems to have the speed to be that threat?

They didn’t seem rattled by that environment and this could be a great experience for the rest of this season. Encouraging week 1 but HAVE to win next weekend and build off of it.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Liked what I saw from Red Wilson, I was shocked that they went to Kupfer for the deep shot in the 2nd half. Red Wilson seems to have the speed to be that threat?

They didn’t seem rattled by that environment and this could be a great experience for the rest of this season. Encouraging week 1 but HAVE to win next weekend and build off of it.

UNI gave up 582 yards rushing yesterday. Sure it was against Air Force. But still. We should ba able to run the ball next week. 

15 minutes ago, F'n Hawks said:

Yup, need to win next week at home against a team that could be a playoff team. Must win situation.

Also start Valley play 1-0.  

1 hour ago, MoSiouxFan said:

On their TD run, it looked like an obvious hold by one of their olinemen, who then threw our guy to the ground.

When a defensive line dominates the line of scrimmage like UND did and the O line is only called for one holding you know there is something wrong with that. Not going to get the calls in your favor in a big 10 game

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Offensively our recruiting at wr is a joke. DBs have zero respect for what we trot out at the position. Our wr group should look like what we had in 2013 but we’re obsessed with tall slow white boys who can’t get open. If we had legit athletes out wide Belquist would absolutely murder teams underneath, the running game would open up, and we would be a contender. 

We need another Clive to drop down. 

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Offensively our recruiting at wr is a joke. DBs have zero respect for what we trot out at the position. Our wr group should look like what we had in 2013 but we’re obsessed with tall slow white boys who can’t get open. If we had legit athletes out wide Belquist would absolutely murder teams underneath, the running game would open up, and we would be a contender. 

u calling out danny?  watch it!

Our WRs, DBs, and OLBs are on my !@#$ list from yesterday. I was pretty impressed with most every other spot. The OL really hung in there well for 3 fr. Would have been really nice to have Bryant. 
Bubba actually showed some balls in an FBS game. How refreshing.

Our guys battled back in the 3rd, that was a thing of beauty. The angst in the stadium was palpable. Just couldn’t make the play on the stupid 3rd and long. That was the back breaker. I really think Bubba should’ve called a timeout to help the d regroup on that drive. He left them out to dry there.

Overall I feel pretty positive about this team. There are undeniable holes on the roster but I think we can win some games and should be in every game. Need some youngsters to step up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

i think we might have a little gem in Red to take the heat of Bo...Bo is legit..he's smooth...he's quick but not super fast.  He was wide f'n open on that first series....a 9th grader puts that on his left hip and Bo turns that upfield down the sideline and it's a TD ...or he spins into the middle of the field and that could be a TD too...those plays that aren't made and that's why we lose yet people say we lost nebraska got away with some hold?  BS.

not a trick play fan but yesterday i was waiting for the marcus h to i think hardin in the SDSU game......

1 hour ago, Irish said:

Taken as a single game there was a lot to like about our effort.  However, put in the context of Bubba's teams we see the same frustrating patterns.  We were in position to possibly have a huge road win against a strong opponent.  Then mistakes and a 4th quarter collapse led to a 21 point defeat.  Uneven special teams play and the inability to throw the ball down field along with some blown coverages and here we are again.  Rinse, repeat.  At some point (hopefully soon) Bubba needs to get it done.  I know it is up to the players to execute but the difference in consistency and execution between a top program and a mediocre one is huge.  We need to step it up to get to the next level.  There were some real positive take-aways from the game but the same old things bit us once again.  We all hope that this is the year we put it all together.

If Bubba can’t get it done than who can? Name a coach please. The new coach would have the same resources and compensation as they have now. How are we going to recruit better players with the same resources. We have to scheme our way through games to make up for the elite talent that we can’t recruit. Like Kelly Howe says when is the last time we passed the eye test looking at the other team in warm ups. Our schemes are the only thing that is evening out our games. Bringing in a different coaching staff will have to deal with this the same. We do pretty well for a team full of “D2” talent.