SiouxSports.com Forum

Broadcasting rights

gfhockey

11 hours ago, nodak651 said:

That one isn't negotiable.  NCHC has the streaming rights, unless you have a normal Midco TV package.  I believe Mudco could actually release a streaming only TV package like sling and include the games, technically, but a sports only thing like they have now is a no go, unless the conference abandons nchc.tv.

Edit: for hockey

One can hope, the NCHC needs to get the auto renewal stuff fixed that group is miserable to work with... 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Michaels/Hanson on the old 740 was called "dumb and dumber" by me. 

i remember the original start when they were in the studio in North Moorhead. A couple local shows and then several national shows Like Jim rome and The Fabulous Sports Babe(Rich Guy on a cell phone) among others.

Roger Degerman whose show was alright as long as he had people calling in and David Moulton who was talented enough that he could carry a radio show for 4 hours without a phone call if he had to.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Probably in the minority here, but driving and listening, I find Culhane paints a better picture of what's going on on the field. Michaels is too busy down conversational rabbit holes to point out formation and personnel and it drives me crazy. 

In between him and Phil complaining about calls that go against NDSU.  I was amazed how many times they openly question calls 

53 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Phil Hanson does openly question calls, but the master is and remains ... Tim Hennessy.

"They called that. Really? < laughter > Alright, I guess. North Dakota going short on a terrible call ..." 

Questioning a hockey call is one thing with 5x5.  Questioning a holding call on the radio - really?  Were you watching that exact lineman while it happened, guys?  

Really hoping more audio content gets created as a result of the new iheart deal.  Can't stand that Dom is the only option for local sports talk.  Region needs an unbiased show that discusses regional sports and local news badly.  Similar to Dan Cole I guess.  Show with a Co host and more call ins.  Biased hosts would be great as well though if there were two and there was a und and ndsu guy.  Daytime radio in ND kinda sucks right now.  If Tim still has a show it would be nice if iheart streamed it or put it in podcast form.  Same with coaches shows.  Iheart radio for gf streaming just uses the twin cities kfan feed and its annoying.. same w web page.  Have to fix that.

• Upvote 1

Rog.  His top five or ten not sure which top picks of the week.  He picked one our teams as high scorer that week.  We were on the bus and heard.  Wow what rush.  I tried to find a clip with his voice.  I couldn't I found obit.  I didn't know of anything about his baseball career.

In my mind.

Hennessy in hockey

Higgins in basketball

Adelson on golf

ALEX on UND football.  I hope he is tied to a 50 year contract.  I prefer to be their live but otherwise I need to watch Alex.  If Alex could double as the announcer at the game.  Add more to my cc payment.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/roger-higgins-obituary?pid=178476031

Holden's new boss, NewsNet, is owned by the biggest shareholder of Gray Television. 

Gray Television owns: 

KVLY-TV (Fargo-Valley City, ND);
KSFY-TV/KABY-TV/ KPRY-TV (Sioux Falls, SD);
KFYR-TV/ KMOT-TV, KUMV-TV/ KQCD-TV (Minot-Bismarck, ND);
KNDX-TV/KXND-TV (Minot-Bismarck, ND);
KXJB-TV (Fargo, ND)

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:57 AM, nodak651 said:

Long term, I would love to see UND and Midco stick together, but with Midco selling their sports channel to other tv carriers, similar to how comcast used to have regional sports networks.

Wow, seems we may actually get some news about this once Forum Communications rephrases a press release or McFeely writes an opinion piece on it.  UND responded to FOIA requests for the TV proposals yesterday.  

16 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Wow, seems we may actually get some news about this once Forum Communications rephrases a press release or McFeely writes an opinion piece on it.  UND responded to FOIA requests for the TV proposals yesterday.  

Please post proposals

On 6/24/2022 at 6:39 PM, Nodak78 said:

Rog.  His top five or ten not sure which top picks of the week.  He picked one our teams as high scorer that week.  We were on the bus and heard.  Wow what rush.  I tried to find a clip with his voice.  I couldn't I found obit.  I didn't know of anything about his baseball career.

In my mind.

Hennessy in hockey

Higgins in basketball

Adelson on golf

ALEX on UND football.  I hope he is tied to a 50 year contract.  I prefer to be their live but otherwise I need to watch Alex.  If Alex could double as the announcer at the game.  Add more to my cc payment.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/roger-higgins-obituary?pid=178476031

Loved listening to Rog Higgins call a H. S. basketball game.

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2022 at 1:16 PM, nodak651 said:

Daytime radio in ND kinda sucks right now.  

Understatement of the century?

Try western ND.... its like going back in time to the mid 80s

Terrible, unfunny, painful radio personalities... same lame formats as the 70s.....   the HILIGHT is tradio basically

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Terrible, unfunny, painful radio personalities... same lame formats as the 70s.....   the HILIGHT is tradio basically

True.  KFAN in the twin cities has done a great job of keeping listeners engaged.  ND radio is missing anything that resembles the comradery and banter that KFAN has developed and is so good at.  Would love to hear a few hours a week with a group like Dom, Kolpack/Mcfeely, Schlossman, and Tom, (or even Port occasionally) all on the air at the same time.  Maybe they could hire a funny producer or something as well.  I also understand that this will never happen, given Forum Communications unwillingness or inability to invest in a quality product.  There could actually be a quality discussion or debate with that group.  So sick of radio shows with a single host that do nothing but monologues and interviews while hardly ever taking phone calls. Boring.

2 hours ago, Frozen4sioux said:

XM Radio. I don't listen to local radio unless it's for a hockey or football game. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Goon said:

XM Radio. I don't listen to local radio unless it's for a hockey or football game. 

I loved XM radio....until somewhere in northern British Colombia when it stopped working. I found out that it does not work that for north or in Alaska. First world problems.

9 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Yeah but it's all p5 or pro sports talk isn't it?

HAIR NATION. I listen to the music. There are tons of channels to listen to. sure on ESPN radio it is. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

HAIR NATION. I listen to the music. There are tons of channels to listen to. sure on ESPN radio it is. 

hair nation is the only thing on in my truck.....gawd i miss those days.....

• Upvote 1