SiouxSports.com Forum

Broadcasting rights

gfhockey

1 hour ago, Kab said:

Which means what

To answer that someone would have to (a) explain "the bluff" undertaken, and (b) explain in detail what was done to "call" it. That's a bit more nuanced than an ambiguous six-word post. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

To answer that someone would have to (a) explain "the bluff" undertaken, and (b) explain in detail what was done to "call" it. That's a bit more nuanced than an ambiguous six-word post. 

I’m not nuanced and I didn’t stay at a holiday inn express last night 

• Like 1

I submitted a FOIA yesterday for the radio and tv proposals and UND got back to me right away: "The solicitation process is still in the grading process. Once the “intent to award” is posted, the information will be considered open records and will be available under FOIA. I expect this will happen mid to late next week."  So I'd be curious to know what source GF Hockey has.  I'm guessing he saw Lakes post on Bisonville which states Bek won.

As of now, UND is still listed as a featured team by Midco https://www.midcosportsplus.com/ and https://www.midcosports.com/

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

I submitted a FOIA yesterday for the radio and tv proposals and UND got back to me right away: "The solicitation process is still in the grading process. Once the “intent to award” is posted, the information will be considered open records and will be available under FOIA. I expect this will happen mid to late next week."  So I'd be curious to know what source GF Hockey has.  I'm guessing he saw Lakes post on Bisonville which states Bek won.

As of now, UND is still listed as a featured team by Midco https://www.midcosportsplus.com/ and https://www.midcosports.com/

I don't know much about BEK but to me it seems like a step back if they did.

2 hours ago, nodak651 said:

So I'd be curious to know what source GF Hockey has.  I'm guessing he saw Lakes post on Bisonville which states Bek won.

You might be giving him too much credit (both of them for that matter).
I know a few guys who are in at BEK and they are good people, continuing to push what they can do and offer. However, they would have to put out a hell of an offer to match and/or exceed what Midco currently does. I really don't think they have the distribution or the fire power to even get close. Particularly since the larger focus on what UND is looking for isn't money.

BEK isn’t prepared to do this.  They have local,high school kids operating cameras at high school games.

UND needs state wide coverage, it really comes down to ABC, NBC or midco.

who else is there?

2 hours ago, Kab said:

BEK isn’t prepared to do this.  They have local,high school kids operating cameras at high school games.

UND needs state wide coverage, it really comes down to ABC, NBC or midco.

who else is there?

Bally, but not if UND wants one broadcaster for all sports.  Something like football only would fit well with them I'd think. 

I never even knew Bek was a thing until yesterday.  Guessing/hoping Lakes was trolling. 

29 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Bally, but not if UND wants one broadcaster for all sports.  Something like football only would fit well with them I'd think. 

I never even knew Bek was a thing until yesterday.  Guessing/hoping Lakes was trolling. 

Lakes TROLLING??  Replace the "TR" with "AH" and you'd be much more accurate about his preferences:-)   The ironic thing is if by some miracle WDAY "wins" any part of the contract and they farm it out to Fox as the "broadcast entity" - Lakes will have to go out and sell UND sports with a straight face or find another job.   THAT'S RICH!  I don't want UND to change their broadcast partner but I'd LOVE to be in a sales presentation where Lakes has to sell UND - LOL!

Latest word is any "delay" is because UND was late (a month late from what they planned) from having their specs for the RFP totally defined and in a row.   Details and final presentations are still upcoming - patience, patience, patience.  

• Like 2

Wondering if Midco has the capability an/or the desire to make an all UND station.  Or comit a station to each of the schools they have broadcast rights for (USD and SDSU).  An ideal situation would be for UND to stay with Midco and have a Midco-UND channel.  Bradcast all games on that channel as well as air weekly coaches shows as well as Through these Doors, Brick by Brick episodes, etc.  I think it would show that Midco is committed to UND by giving them essentially their own network.  Not sure if that is something that they are looking into but a guy can dream right?!!

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wondering if Midco has the capability an/or the desire to make an all UND station.  Or comit a station to each of the schools they have broadcast rights for (USD and SDSU).  An ideal situation would be for UND to stay with Midco and have a Midco-UND channel.  Bradcast all games on that channel as well as air weekly coaches shows as well as Through these Doors, Brick by Brick episodes, etc.  I think it would show that Midco is committed to UND by giving them essentially their own network.  Not sure if that is something that they are looking into but a guy can dream right?!!

With how many games UND wants to have aired, that is a really good idea... (ideally without sdsu and usd).  They could show old school replays during the days as well, similar to ESPN Classic.  I don't know anything about the industry, but ya gotta think it would be easy for them to add a channel, from a technical perspective, being that they are also the cable provider.

Speaking of Midco, I wonder if Bluepeak entering the GF market influenced their offer at all.  Has anyone discussed them yet on siouxsports, maybe in a different thread?  They add an interesting dynamic, as Midco could leverage UND to mantain GF market share, but at the same time, if Bluepeak does well, there will be less eyeballs on UND and less associated add revenue.

Long term, I would love to see UND and Midco stick together, but with Midco selling their sports channel to other tv carriers, similar to how comcast used to have regional sports networks.

35 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Link to bisonville thread?

Dude, you have the internet and google. Look it up. :) Took about two minutes to find this message board thread in question. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Hawkster said:

I don't know about the rest of you, but the last time I went to Bisonville I felt like a needed a shower it was so sleazy.

I felt like I had to hack up a fur ball after visiting there. :)

• Upvote 1

Just some more information since not everyone knew of BEK:   

BEK broadcasts on the old KXJB signal for the Fargo market, and the old FOX stations signals for Bismarck/Minot.  I believe they are on most cable systems because of that (being over the air), so they should be statewide.  Or at least their main channel is statewide.  They have a second channel, but that is only on the co-op cable systems, Midco doesn't carry that.

They do show a lot of high school sports, but also show some college sports and the Bismarck Bucks IFL team.

They started from BEK Telecomm co-op in Steele as an online sports network until they got onto the TV stations.

47 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Even lakes/chapo admits (on ugly smelly droolcow-ville) now the Bek comment was a troll ... and yet someone bit. 

Being first with information is good; being right with information is better. 

Well, he is in the Tv business and that isn't true anymore.

20 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Even lakes/chapo admits (on ugly smelly droolcow-ville) now the Bek comment was a troll ... and yet someone bit. 

Being first with information is good; being right with information is better. 

I'm a pretty big Lakes hater...and I loathe Bisonville...but claiming that Bek won our broadcast rights is actually a pretty good troll job judging by the last page of this thread!

I love Bek...I can watch random Region 3 basketball games and VCSU/UJ football games...but to even fathom them bidding on this is laughable at this point...