SiouxSports.com Forum

Broadcasting rights

gfhockey

11 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Wday boys still too lazy to write how they got spabked

Waaaaait ... say what? 

I thought Midco hoodwinked UND. 

Now the story is WDAY/ForumComm got spabked (which must be how gfhockey says "spanked" with a ball gag in) by Midco? 

And where does Bek fit into this ... I kid, I kid, but I just know and instigator is watching .... hi Chapo ... :glare:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Waaaaait ... say what? 

I thought Midco hoodwinked UND. 

Now the story is WDAY/ForumComm got spabked (which must be how gfhockey says "spanked" with a ball gag in) by Midco? 

And where does Bek fit into this ... I kid, I kid, but I just know and instigator is watching .... hi Chapo ... :glare:

COVFEFE my brother!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kab said:

So we don’t know who will be broadcasting the games?

We do.  It's Midco and Iheart.  UND is working on finalizing contract negotiations with them now.  Additionally, it seems that UND put out a rfp for an exclusive radio partner in Fargo. I'm guessing since Iheart doesn't have a radio station in Fargo, and because UND wanted to retain broadcasting rights for markets in which their flagship partner (iHeart) doesn't operate (as stated in initial rfp).  Good move imo.  https://bids.sciquest.com/apps/Router/PublicEvent?CustomerOrg=UND   Also, people with comcast in the msp market may hear some good carriage news soon.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

We do.  It's Midco and Iheart.  UND is working on finalizing contract negotiations with them now.  Additionally, it seems that UND put out a rfp for an exclusive radio partner in Fargo. I'm guessing since Iheart doesn't have a radio station in Fargo, and because UND wanted to retain broadcasting rights for markets in which their flagship partner (iHeart) doesn't operate (as stated in initial rfp).  Good move imo.  https://bids.sciquest.com/apps/Router/PublicEvent?CustomerOrg=UND   Also, people with comcast in the msp market may hear some good carriage news soon.

I was wondering about ESPN like in the past 

4 hours ago, nodak651 said:

That would be great.  It would also be the first good news regarding Comcast that I have ever gotten. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kab said:

In their proposal, Midco said that they would continue to provide UND's live game streams for free to conference streaming partners.  In regard to the Fenton interview, no matter what the Summit league decides to do, it will not affect conference Football streams on ESPN+/3 because that is a MVFC conference deal, and hockey would also stay on NCHC.TV (unless hockey or football move under the Summit League's wing at some point).  If the Summit does make any changes I don't get the impression that anything would take affect this year (could be wrong).

18 hours ago, Kab said:

This is a surprisingly good breakdown of the TV/Streaming situation with the Summit League.  https://www.inforum.com/opinion/columns/mcfeely-how-valuable-is-the-summit-league-conference-wants-to-find-out

My prediction (complete guess)... I really think that Midco is going to make a run at a streaming/linear deal with the conference, and Fenton will use that as leverage with ESPN.  I think odds are 50% Midco, 40% ESPN, 10% Summit.TV (like nchc.tv).  If Midco gets the rights, I think games would be on their espn-like midcosn+ platform, and I think Fenton would look to pair that with CBSSN, who would air the basketball championship game and potentially a handful of regular season matchups (kind of like their deal with the NCHC).  

Edit: Here's another article about the Summit/CSMG partnership that I think includes some different quotes from Fenton.  https://www.on3.com/news/summit-league-collegiate-sports-management-group-media-tv-rights-strategy-mens-basketball/

Can anyone explain what this is about?  Was this discussed already?

https://www.northpine.com/blog/2022/06/24/tct-gray-bek-weigel-among-full-power-tv-auction-winners/

TCT, Gray, BEK, Weigel Among Full-Power TV Auction Winners

Posted on June 24, 2022 by Jon Ellis

Tri-State Christian Television, Gray TV, BEK Sports Network, and Weigel Broadcasting will be getting new full-power TV stations in the Upper Midwest as a result of FCC Auction 112.

Of the 18 allotments sold nationwide, the one bringing in the most money was channel 27 in Grand Forks, ND, which went to BEK Sports Network with a $6,411,000 winning bid. BEK already owns two stations in western North Dakota and its new station will have the potential to reach Fargo.

So BEK is now OTA in GF.
Seems to fill out the pattern (FAR/BIS/MOT/ ... GF). 

BEK News/Sports

KNDB Over-The-Air, Bismarck
Western North Dakota: Ch-26.1

KNDM Over-The-Air, Minot
Western North Dakota: Ch-24.1

KRDK Over-The-Air, Fargo
Eastern North Dakota: Ch-4.1

BEK SportsPlus

Western North Dakota: Ch-26.2

KNDM Over-The-Air, Minot
Western North Dakota: Ch-24.2

KRDK Over-The-Air, Fargo
Eastern North Dakota: Ch-4.2

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So BEK is now OTA in GF.

BEK News/Sports

KNDM Over-The-Air, Minot

KRDK Over-The-Air, Fargo

BEK SportsPlus

KNDM Over-The-Air, Minot

KRDK Over-The-Air, Fargo
Eastern North Dakota: Ch-4.2

Sure looks like something is in the works.  Ummm

Random thoughts:

• Midco doesn't have an OTA outlet. 
  • BEK now has OTA coverage statewide. 
  • This addition by BEK (a Grand Forks OTA) gets NW MN, and might get them to Winnipeg. 

I wonder if Midco and BEK could work a deal to get Midco's asset (UND TV) onto BEK's OTA towers to get UND into places without Midco cable. Or would that harm Midco's streaming option. 

53 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Random thoughts:

• Midco doesn't have an OTA outlet. 
  • BEK now has OTA coverage statewide. 
  • This addition by BEK (a Grand Forks OTA) gets NW MN, and might get them to Winnipeg. 

I wonder if Midco and BEK could work a deal to get Midco's asset (UND TV) onto BEK's OTA towers to get UND into places without Midco cable. Or would that harm Midco's streaming option. 

I was kind of thinking a good option.  For all three.  Midco streaming wouldn't suffer much in streaming income.  An agreement could benefit all.

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So BEK is now OTA in GF.

BEK News/Sports

KNDM Over-The-Air, Minot

KRDK Over-The-Air, Fargo

BEK SportsPlus

KNDM Over-The-Air, Minot