Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

Broadcasting rights


gfhockey
 Share

Recommended Posts

Like I said before, paying Learfield, and REA, and whichever other entities, to do it is overhead charges for each. Consolidating and going to the model Nebraska went back to is worth a try to simplify, cut out a middle man, and save overhead charges. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My concern here is Kyle Doperalski has announced he's taking a job in Kansas on July 1. He's been media point-guy for Athletics for a while. If UND Athletics plans on doing it itself, who'll be in charge?

Or will REA be the marketing face for everything and act sort of like Learfield did in the past. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

My concern here is Kyle Doperalski has announced he's taking a job in Kansas on July 1. He's been media point-guy for Athletics for a while. If UND Athletics plans on doing it itself, who'll be in charge?

Or will REA be the marketing face for everything and act sort of like Learfield did in the past. 

A simple solution or something that could help, is that UND could hire the guy who managed UND's account for Learfield.

I don't think a whole ton will change though, and it isn't really like Learfield knocked it out of the park when it comes to athletics merchandising deals or sponsorships which we couldn't otherwise get without their help.

Pretty sure Learfield only had control of licensing fees for merchandise/apparel, third tier television sales (FSN/bally), and radio sales, and I think it must have made it difficult to work out sponsorship deals if both the ralph and learfield had to be involved with combined radio/arena/game sponsorship packages, with both wanting a % of revenue.

If I had to guess, this may have been mutual if UND is happy with where they are at when it comes to their new TV rights deal - learfield may not have wanted to be involved unless they got essentially half of that money, or were in control of the new agreement.  Learfield also had zero rights to streaming revenue in any sport.  

My biggest worry is that UND will not be included in an EA Sports college football game, if/when FCS teams are added, because EA works out an exclusive deal with Learfield or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

My biggest worry is that UND will not be included in an EA Sports college football game, if/when FCS teams are added, because EA works out an exclusive deal with Learfield or something like that.

In that scenario, they wouldn't have Nebraska either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

In that scenario, they wouldn't have Nebraska either. 

Yeah I was just saying it was a possibility given that UND is small-time, in comparison.  

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

 Fun fact, I believe Tony interned at the ralph about ten years ago. He did the pa during intermission games and such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

McFeely blog: Forum Communications a possible bidder to broadcast UND sports

Quote

FARGO — The University of North Dakota athletic department will soon send out a request for proposals on its television broadcast rights and it's possible Forum Communications Co. and KVLY-TV could join current rights holder Midco Sports as bidders.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

FARGO — The University of North Dakota athletic department will soon send out a request for proposals ...

McFeely must be wrong.

@gfhockeyin a different thread already announced that Midco low bid ... a non-existent RFP. :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Yeah I was just saying it was a possibility given that UND is small-time, in comparison.  

 Fun fact, I believe Tony interned at the ralph about ten years ago. He did the pa during intermission games and such.

Yeah and where he working at bow

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

I broke it before Mike 

Congrats!   Easy to confuse news with booze but I'll leave that for you figure out Scoop!   Not really news actually - it's been out there...

The BIG reason Forum/WDAY got NDSU is they've waived the big bucks and promised exclusivity for NDSU.   MIdco also bid for NDSU but NDSU didn't want to have to associate with "lesser" entities like USD, SDSU and UND and share time on MIdco Sports.  They think they're SO SPECIAL they deserve their own dedicated channel and they got it - so then why is Forum/WDAY considering bidding for UND???  

How does NDSU feel about WDAY bidding for UND sports and (gasp) SHARING?  MORE IMPORTANTLY - NDSU feels like they haven't gotten all they've been promised by WDAY (Extremely disappointed in some conversations from what I hear) - bad production effort and values?   cheaping out big time (1 camera VB broadcasts?) - EGO clashes between Dom and nDUMBERsu?  NDSU isn't happy and now WDAY thinks they can do UND right?   they are stupidly wrong...  

Just a reminder - Midco upgraded UND sports broadcasts across the board from the start with quality and investment.   Remember when "forum/wdaz" wouldn't even pay for a penalty box clock on the broadcast?   Midco did that from day 1!  There is literally an office of employees at Midco that work their asses off making sure all UND sport broadcasts are ABOVE regional standards for most if not all local schools.  That's a good thing that should be rewarded!!

I'm confident UND recognizes the value they've had for a decade and will want to stay with it.  I would hope UND fans would agree.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gfhockey said:

It was low bid and und went with rfp to call their bluff 

Here is your other quote when it was first announced.  Still agree with it?

”The biggest is who can handle hockey almost every weekend KVLY won’t do tape delay broadcasting almost every weekend    wday will be busy with ndsu basketball in winter  so assuming midco will get it back probably cheaper then their first offsr

stupid chaves” 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Midco broadcasts are second to none and blow anything NDSU has out of the water. NDSU should honestly be ashamed of their TV broadcasts especially if they think they deserve to go FBS……

it’s not like these bids are that high in the first place, I’ll take quality over bargain production. Anyone know what kind of $$$ difference it was last time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gfNDfan said:

Congrats!   Easy to confuse news with booze but I'll leave that for you figure out Scoop!   Not really news actually - it's been out there...

The BIG reason Forum/WDAY got NDSU is they've waived the big bucks and promised exclusivity for NDSU.   MIdco also bid for NDSU but NDSU didn't want to have to associate with "lesser" entities like USD, SDSU and UND and share time on MIdco Sports.  They think they're SO SPECIAL they deserve their own dedicated channel and they got it - so then why is Forum/WDAY considering bidding for UND???  

How does NDSU feel about WDAY bidding for UND sports and (gasp) SHARING?  MORE IMPORTANTLY - NDSU feels like they haven't gotten all they've been promised by WDAY (Extremely disappointed in some conversations from what I hear) - bad production effort and values?   cheaping out big time (1 camera VB broadcasts?) - EGO clashes between Dom and nDUMBERsu?  NDSU isn't happy and now WDAY thinks they can do UND right?   they are stupidly wrong...  

Just a reminder - Midco upgraded UND sports broadcasts across the board from the start with quality and investment.   Remember when "forum/wdaz" wouldn't even pay for a penalty box clock on the broadcast?   Midco did that from day 1!  There is literally an office of employees at Midco that work their asses off making sure all UND sport broadcasts are ABOVE regional standards for most if not all local schools.  That's a good thing that should be rewarded!!

I'm confident UND recognizes the value they've had for a decade and will want to stay with it.  I would hope UND fans would agree.

 

I absolutely agree...  Midco has knocked the production out of the park.  I don't want to see that change.  I would like to see UND put its sports on Midco streaming.  So, you could get around all other other packages required.  One stop shopping for UND sports - Midco Streaming - Please.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FSSD said:

I absolutely agree...  Midco has knocked the production out of the park.  I don't want to see that change.  I would like to see UND put its sports on Midco streaming.  So, you could get around all other other packages required.  One stop shopping for UND sports - Midco Streaming - Please.

Und sports are on midco streaming all except for hockey.  Can't see that changing though because the nchc has streaming rights which allows the nchc conf games to all be on the same platform.  And I'm pretty sure und made more money from that last year than the actual TV deal with midco.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really hoping that if the Summit gets a streaming deal put together they do it through midco though, similar to espn+. Kind of a hunch, but I feel like there is a good chance of that happening, eventually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Midco broadcasts are second to none and blow anything NDSU has out of the water. NDSU should honestly be ashamed of their TV broadcasts especially if they think they deserve to go FBS……

it’s not like these bids are that high in the first place, I’ll take quality over bargain production. Anyone know what kind of $$$ difference it was last time?

kyle "im a professional football player yet i've been unemployed for a few years but i'll keep reminding the people of fargo that i'm a professional football player" emaneul might disagree about the production quality of ndac football games

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

kyle "im a professional football player yet i've been unemployed for a few years but i'll keep reminding the people of fargo that i'm a professional football player" emaneul might disagree about the production quality of ndac football games

He has as much credibility as Carson Wentz does as commercial spokesperson for whatever - his product sucks - why would anyone buy any product he endorses?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL, the jealousy on this is hilarious.  What pro football player does und have as a spokesman?  When you have an athletic dept as a whole that's terrible but for hockey and that hasn't done anything for a while I guess you have go for the cheap shots to make yourselves feel better.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2022 at 12:05 AM, gfNDfan said:

Just a reminder - Midco upgraded UND sports broadcasts across the board from the start with quality and investment.   Remember when "forum/wdaz" wouldn't even pay for a penalty box clock on the broadcast?   Midco did that from day 1!  There is literally an office of employees at Midco that work their asses off making sure all UND sport broadcasts are ABOVE regional standards for most if not all local schools.  That's a good thing that should be rewarded!!

I'm confident UND recognizes the value they've had for a decade and will want to stay with it.  I would hope UND fans would agree.

 

I agree that the quality of Midco's productions are second to none.  But the chance that football games could be on statewide OTA television is enticing IMO. 

Plus, since leaving the Big Sky conference, I have found it difficult or even impossible at times to find a stream of select Mens & Women's Basketball games.  Pluto TV had its issues, but at least all of the Big Sky games were available.  I've really been surprised and frustrated at how poor the Summit's streaming capabilities are.  This has to be one of Fenton's top priorities.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I agree that the quality of Midco's productions are second to none.  But the chance that football games could be on statewide OTA television is enticing IMO. 

Plus, since leaving the Big Sky conference, I have found it difficult or even impossible at times to find a stream of select Mens & Women's Basketball games.  Pluto TV had its issues, but at least all of the Big Sky games were available.  I've really been surprised and frustrated at how poor the Summit's streaming capabilities are.  This has to be one of Fenton's top priorities.

This right here, UND and Summit League games were all over the place and not all UND/Summit League games were on ESPN+ so you had to go hunting around looking for them.  It was frustrating at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

LOL, the jealousy on this is hilarious.  What pro football player does und have as a spokesman?  When you have an athletic dept as a whole that's terrible but for hockey and that hasn't done anything for a while I guess you have go for the cheap shots to make yourselves feel better.  

Say what you want about trolling, but who is going to disagree with this? The athletic department has needed to up their game for years.

that being said the most significant thing Wentz has done in the NFL was getting drafted. Started well until that first injury. Now all the stuff that comes out about him is that he is an arrogant punk who thinks he know it all and is not coachable. Bit of a tarnished reputation at this point. He will always be huge for Fargo, but to any other nfl fan or city, he is just a guy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...