SiouxSports.com Forum

DU/MSUM for the title

siouxfaninseattle

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Not sure I would agree. We swept Denver this year and took 3 of 4 from Duluth. We won our 3rd Penrose in a row. Last year UND was arguably best team in nation except for 5 OT loss to Duluth. 2 yrs ago again possibly top team in nation but lost chance for run at title to Covid.UND has great fan base with top attendance.  Great facility. Great University. Outstanding coaching staff. Outstanding resources. 
There isn’t a program in the nation head and shoulders above UND’s Hockey program.

English Translation: #nattysdontmatter

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We are now in 3rd place in total Natty's. But don't worry, I've been assured by many posters that this will have absolutely no effect on recruiting whatsoever. :silly:

I certainly don’t recall a huge swing of blue chippas mass committing to UND after 2016. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

We are now in 3rd place in total Natty's. But don't worry, I've been assured by many posters that this will have absolutely no effect on recruiting whatsoever. :silly:

Minnesota has 5; UND has 8.

Using your logic, how is Minnesota able to recruit? 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Not sure I would agree. We swept Denver this year and took 3 of 4 from Duluth. We won our 3rd Penrose in a row. Last year UND was arguably best team in nation except for 5 OT loss to Duluth. 2 yrs ago again possibly top team in nation but lost chance for run at title to Covid.UND has great fan base with top attendance.  Great facility. Great University. Outstanding coaching staff. Outstanding resources. 
There isn’t a program in the nation head and shoulders above UND’s Hockey program.  

No doubt UND has had good teams.

Just not the top of the national tournament success like UMD and DU.

That's where they are head and shoulders above UND.

5 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

English Translation: #nattysdontmatter

You have never been involved in recruiting college athletes have you?  
Frankly they (“nattys”) don’t matter to me because I am no longer playing nor coaching. While I cheer for and support UND hockey as well as UND athletics and the University, UND’s success has no benefit for me personally. I hope that our coaches and athletes are successful and will win National Championships. I also don’t think UND’s success equate to personal success for me. My point was that I disagree that UMD or Denver are head and shoulders above UND right now. 

4 minutes ago, Cratter said:

No doubt UND has had good teams.

Just not the top of the national tournament success like UMD and DU.

That's where they are head and shoulders above UND.

They were Champions in those three years. That puts them a step up on every other team in the country those years. I still don’t agree that puts them “head and shoulders” above UND. 

55 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Calm it down a bit.  We're one whole title behind the two teams tied for 1st.  One of whom hasn't won a title in 24 years despite getting massive classes full of blue chippers.

#hugeloss  ;) 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Calm it down a bit.  We're one whole title behind the two teams tied for 1st.  One of whom hasn't won a title in 24 years despite getting massive classes full of blue chippers.

#hugeloss  ;) 

Put another way, in one season UND could make it a three-way tie. 

One season. 

Or, go back to back and take the lead — two seasons to the very top. 

Or another way for perspective: We’d be into the 2030s to have as many FCS titles as NDSU if we won them all from now to a tie. 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Put another way, in one season UND could make it a three-way tie. 

One season. 

Or, go back to back and take the lead — two seasons to the very top. 

Or another way for perspective: We’d be into the 2030s to have as many FCS titles as NDSU if we won them all from now to a tie. 

Another round of applause for the JV Champs, ladies and gentlemen

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Honestly don’t know why some of you still cheer for UND or are you this negative with everything in your lives? “Yeah I won the million dollar lottery but some other guy won a bigger one. And think of the taxes!”

Some fans in every base seem to need their team to win in order to be happy.   And when they're not happy, they look for people to blame.  

• Upvote 1

I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't give a $hit about the number of national championships that UND has won.  The program has had success that pleases some fans, not all apparently.  To each their own.

I just can't believe a ton of kids will pick one school over the other based on one having say 11 championships, and the other 7.  I mean Georgia got a lot of good football players in recruiting battles that Alabama was involved in, and we all know who holds the advantage there in championships.

Maybe I'm wrong.  I have spent almost 40 years watching the Vikings. :lol:

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, burd said:

Some fans in every base seem to need their team to win in order to be happy.   And when they're not happy, they look for people to blame.  

Yeah learning that, but man it’s so much more carefree when your self worth isn’t tied to a teams success of which you have no control over.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:24 AM, Godsmack said:

The grind of the NCHC compared to the CCHA seemed to be the difference maker.

Going into the game, this is the biggest question I had.  It appeared to not be a big deal for a long time....then it became a HUGE deal.

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Going into the game, this is the biggest question I had.  It appeared to not be a big deal for a long time....then it became a HUGE deal.

Mankato appeared to become unnerved after DU tied it but it felt like DU was gradually getter by zone time and pressure starting late in the 2nd and continuing into the 3rd. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Mankato appeared to become unnerved after DU tied it but it felt like DU was gradually getter by zone time and pressure starting late in the 2nd and continuing into the 3rd. 

I could see DU coming on with about 5 left in the second. MSUM escaped to second intermission. 

DU was in the same mode with about 15 left in third, and the rest we know. 

MSUM looked like they got worn down both physically and mentally. Like I said before, I don't think they'd played a tight game in the third with a team that had that much offensive punch. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think it was so much the grind that got to them as much as it was the situation. I haven't ever seen this group respond like they did after the first goal. The panic was something that I would never have guessed would hit them.

I know it wasn't on a week-to-week basis, but they faced a good amount of good teams and had come backs against them. They had 2 games against UMASS early in the year (one in which they came back from 2 down on the banner raising day). They had a grinder of a game against Michigan. A couple grinders against SCSU when St Cloud looked unbeatable. UMD in the middle of the year and then had a couple of tough games on the first weekend.

The biggest thing that I think hurt them was not converting on at least one of the odd man rushes in the second. I know the narrative is that this team is a grinder, slow it down team, but that's just not true. They were the 5th highest scoring team in the last decade (of course, Denver was the 4th). All year long they converted those types of chances. Was it frustration? Were they pressing? Did they just not expect Denver to give the kind of push they did? I dunno. I can't say that I thought we couldn't lose. I just didn't think we could lose the way we did, but momentum is a crazy thing. I've heard Hastings talk about that on more than one occasion this year. Usually we get the momentum going our way. I have said multiple times this year after we score one goal that the floodgates are going to open. This time it went against us in a big way.

• Upvote 2