SiouxSports.com Forum

DU/MSUM for the title

siouxfaninseattle

2 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Ah, got it.
I've been around for 6 UND titles...of course, one of them I was only 1yo, but still.  ;) 

My opinion is we won't win another title until we can score.  Grindaz are fine to a point but an entire team of grindaz just won't get it done.  I don't want to be Jan Brady to Denver.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sad for the mavs, as they had a heck of a team.  Pretty much dominated a good chunk of the game but couldn't add to the lead.  Then, hockey being hockey,  they coughed up one on a rebound and blown coverage, one on the end of a pp off a defenseman's glove, and one on a 2-on-1 when they were pressing.  The last of those reminded me of the Sioux loss to BC in 1999. Even the first empty netter came seconds after a bouncer trickled wide of the net behind Chrona.  That one had me thinking of a similar near miss in OT against BC in 2001, right before Kolanos.  

The lesson here is to keep playing, even when you're getting worked, because you never know when it might turn.  Like the TO game. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Cratter said:

As much as we don't want to admit it, DU and UMD are head and shoulders above UND.**

*in recent history.

*In things that matter (winning frozen four games.)

If you select 20 years as the random timeframe to fit your silly narrative, as opposed to going back say a random 25 years to include ‘97, in which case your narrative turns to crap.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

DU fans will be even more insufferable next season and I’ll get a double dose of it as I’ll be there at Magness for both the CC and UND series. 

Do half of them know the difference between the Broncos and the Pioneers or at this point is it too late?

15 minutes ago, SJHovey said:

If you select 20 years as the random timeframe to fit your silly narrative, as opposed to going back say a random 25 years to include ‘97, in which case your narrative turns to crap.

You can pick whatever silly recent history you want. 

5,10,15,20,25....years

But most would agree 25+ years ago isn't recent.

And if you need to go back that far you're proving my point for me.

Well....that wasn't ideal.

Mavs panicked like I haven't seen them panic before. They seemed like they had the yips in the third period (to steal a golf term). I haven't seen them.play that bad of a period in 2 years. Sucks it came when it did.

The MSUM teams of the late 1990s would’ve cashed all those breakaways. Not doing that was the start of the undoing.

DU plays at altitude; Boston is at sea level; I could see MSUM fatigue as the game went on, that, and maybe some nerves. 

And I don’t think MSUM, despite the defense and close games of their record, had played a team with offense in a tight one in the third. They didn’t know how to react. They didn’t know how to play an NCHC team in an NCHC-like playoff game. 

And what MSUM did to UM, DU did to MSUM: Five unanswered. 

9 hours ago, bale31 said:

Well....that wasn't ideal.

Mavs panicked like I haven't seen them panic before. They seemed like they had the yips in the third period (to steal a golf term). I haven't seen them.play that bad of a period in 2 years. Sucks it came when it did.

They had a great chance to make it 2-0 early in the third.  Chrona came up big and then Denver went down and scored.

Then Denver got the PP and the game they had played so well in turned into a game they were chasing.  

Then....terrible bounce....2-1 develops, the defenseman on the 2-1 left McKay hanging out to dry and its 3-1.

Hockey sometimes. 

• Upvote 2

Hindsight being what it is, I wonder if Hastings should have considered using his timeout as soon as DU tied it. Seems like Mankato’s body language permanently changed for the worst after that tying goal. 

No panic in DU’s approach despite being shut down for the first 45 minutes. The grind of the NCHC compared to the CCHA seemed to be the difference maker. Playing teams like Duluth down the stretch seemed to help DU’s moxie. 

• Upvote 2

A guy on my team is an MSU alum and huge supporter of the hockey program. I sent him this text this morning as I know he’s pretty bummed out. Didn’t want to send it last night as I’m sure the sting was pretty bad at the moment they lost…

“Dude, sorry about Mankato. Damn. That one hurt. I felt terrible for the Mavericks players and coaches and fans last night. Seems like the program however is in a permanent position for national success. Lot to be proud of as a Maverick fan!”

• Upvote 2