SiouxSports.com Forum

DU/MSUM for the title

siouxfaninseattle

14 hours ago, petey23 said:

Unfortunately many in our fan base have drifted into the old Gopher fan mentality.

It is a combination of arrogance and ignorance that leads them to believe that other college programs only exist so that UND has someone to play against.

I think many of our fans have drifted in to being mediocre is ok. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I don't think it was so much the grind that got to them as much as it was the situation. I haven't ever seen this group respond like they did after the first goal. The panic was something that I would never have guessed would hit them.

I know it wasn't on a week-to-week basis, but they faced a good amount of good teams and had come backs against them. They had 2 games against UMASS early in the year (one in which they came back from 2 down on the banner raising day). They had a grinder of a game against Michigan. A couple grinders against SCSU when St Cloud looked unbeatable. UMD in the middle of the year and then had a couple of tough games on the first weekend.

The biggest thing that I think hurt them was not converting on at least one of the odd man rushes in the second. I know the narrative is that this team is a grinder, slow it down team, but that's just not true. They were the 5th highest scoring team in the last decade (of course, Denver was the 4th). All year long they converted those types of chances. Was it frustration? Were they pressing? Did they just not expect Denver to give the kind of push they did? I dunno. I can't say that I thought we couldn't lose. I just didn't think we could lose the way we did, but momentum is a crazy thing. I've heard Hastings talk about that on more than one occasion this year. Usually we get the momentum going our way. I have said multiple times this year after we score one goal that the floodgates are going to open. This time it went against us in a big way.

I wouldn't overanalyze it. Mankato had a very good team and proved it all year. If they played DU 10 times, I think Mankato wins 5 of them. Mankato also had a tough non-conference schedule and proved that it could play with the top teams all year. Chrona came up big several times when it was still 1-0 and that was probably the difference. Denver is a very good team, and was finding a way to win the close games in the tourney. Having said that, I do think that Mankato would be even more battle tested if they were in the NCHC. They might not win the league, but they would definitely be in the top half and competing for the NCHC title. Mankato has nothing to be ashamed of--they are very good. I have a ton of respect for their program and Hastings. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I wouldn't overanalyze it. Mankato had a very good team and proved it all year. If they played DU 10 times, I think Mankato wins 5 of them. Mankato also had a tough non-conference schedule and proved that it could play with the top teams all year. Chrona came up big several times when it was still 1-0 and that was probably the difference. Denver is a very good team, and was finding a way to win the close games in the tourney. Having said that, I do think that Mankato would be even more battle tested if they were in the NCHC. They might not win the league, but they would definitely be in the top half and competing for the NCHC title. Mankato has nothing to be ashamed of--they are very good. I have a ton of respect for their program and Hastings. 

I would agree with everything that you said there. I think MSU would compete for conference titles in the NCHC (especially with the influx of higher talent that would come along with it). I don't think MSU wins 35+ games on the regular, but competes in the same way that UMD and SCSU do.

I'm probably a bit defensive as I've been on GPL a bit and have had to defend everything from the age of the players to the style to the academics of the school to the integrity of the program with academics to programs like MSU being the downfall of college hockey. I've removed myself from the mix for my own sanity.

26 minutes ago, bale31 said:

I'm probably a bit defensive as I've been on GPL a bit and have had to defend everything from the age of the players to the style to the academics of the school to the integrity of the program with academics to programs like MSU being the downfall of college hockey. I've removed myself from the mix for my own sanity.

I've seen you posting there and honestly don't know how you were doing it. Wow was their whiny b**ching at a fever pitch(especially the age thing) when their infant Gopher squad got their butts kicked by MSU. They zeroed in on that super quick. 

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I think many of our fans have drifted in to being mediocre is ok. 

I feel like you are correct. Majority of our fanbase was content on winning a natty in 2016 and now have the "wait till next year" attitude after they fail to make the national tourney or bow out after the 1st game.  At least we have the "best arena/amenities" than any other program! :silly: 

1 minute ago, siouxkid12 said:

I feel like you are correct. Majority of our fanbase was content on winning a natty in 2016 and now have the "wait till next year" attitude after they fail to make the national tourney or bow out after the 1st game.  At least we have the "best arena/amenities" than any other program! :silly: 

Is there more that could be done? "Waiting till next year" is all that we can do, this season is over and Denver has #9. We can bitch, yell, and scream, but all that's going to happen is getting a hoarse throat.

2 hours ago, bale31 said:

I would agree with everything that you said there. I think MSU would compete for conference titles in the NCHC (especially with the influx of higher talent that would come along with it). I don't think MSU wins 35+ games on the regular, but competes in the same way that UMD and SCSU do.

I just find it funny that they are crossing their fingers and praying that the overage Ben Meyers might just come back for another kick at the can.   Don't think they would have complained about LaFontaine being too old if they had won a National title with him in net. 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Mediocre ... :silly:

Would the Tampa Bay Lightning be considered mediocre if they were playing in a one and done situation?  They have lost the first game in a series a few times in the last couple years.    

55 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Imagine if fan feel this bad what the coaches and players feel, enormous pressure to win a title every year. 

What are you playing for then? 
You think the players at Alabama don't feel pressure? What about NDSU?

1 hour ago, siouxkid12 said:

Majority of our fanbase was content on winning a natty in 2016

It did relieve a lot of pressure on the fanbase, and probably held us over for a few years, but since UMD and Denver each have TWO since we won in '16, we need to get back there in a hurry.  We shouldn't need to wait until 2032 to hang #9.  I'm looking at you, 2023...

• Upvote 4

Since the New Ralph was build UND has 1 National Championship, Denver 4 and UMD 3.  We can brag about top 10 finishes and conference championships.  1 NC in the 20+ years they have played in the New Ralph is pretty sad.  Yes 1 and done tournaments make it harder for the best team to always win, but there should be times when UND is winning in the NCAA tourney when they are not the better team.  Everyone of Berry's NCAA loses were bad loses and we make excuses.  Lost to BU in OT in 2017 in front of home crowd and it is because the ref's screwed us over on the Video review.  Lost to UMD and it is because UMD didn't play the day before, never mind the fact it took until a pulled goalie situation for UND to score 2 goals and UND caught a break when UMD was called for offsides on first game winning goal.  This year we lose to ND and caught a break when they score SH goals right after Period ends.  Berry celebrates like we won championship, when he should be embarrassed his team let that happen.  We use the fact we have so may new players as excuse.  Even though Denver is just as young as UND and wins National Championship.

Oh in 2020 we didn't win because covid cut the season short.  It has become apparent that Covid avoided the embarrassment of losing in the Regional.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

find that stat. How many top 5 in last ten years 

Five. 

Final USCHO poll
Year Ranking

2022    9
2021    5
2020    2
2019    20
2018    17
2017    9
2016    1
2015    3
2014    4
2013    7

2012    5
2011    2
2010    4
2009    7
2008    3
2007    6

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bale31 said:

I don't think it was so much the grind that got to them as much as it was the situation. I haven't ever seen this group respond like they did after the first goal. The panic was something that I would never have guessed would hit them.

I know it wasn't on a week-to-week basis, but they faced a good amount of good teams and had come backs against them. They had 2 games against UMASS early in the year (one in which they came back from 2 down on the banner raising day). They had a grinder of a game against Michigan. A couple grinders against SCSU when St Cloud looked unbeatable. UMD in the middle of the year and then had a couple of tough games on the first weekend.

The biggest thing that I think hurt them was not converting on at least one of the odd man rushes in the second. I know the narrative is that this team is a grinder, slow it down team, but that's just not true. They were the 5th highest scoring team in the last decade (of course, Denver was the 4th). All year long they converted those types of chances. Was it frustration? Were they pressing? Did they just not expect Denver to give the kind of push they did? I dunno. I can't say that I thought we couldn't lose. I just didn't think we could lose the way we did, but momentum is a crazy thing. I've heard Hastings talk about that on more than one occasion this year. Usually we get the momentum going our way. I have said multiple times this year after we score one goal that the floodgates are going to open. This time it went against us in a big way.

I noticed a couple of really bad pinches after DU scored, were taking risks they hadn't taken in the previous 50 minutes of the game.  One of those terrible pinches lead to the 2 on 1 goal by Rizzo that was essentially the dagger.

7 hours ago, Dustin said:

.... but since UMD and Denver each have TWO since we won in '16, 

5 hours ago, Big Green said:

Since the New Ralph was build UND has 1 National Championship, Denver 4 and UMD 3.  

Just don't use the term head and shoulders above.

Maybe just say they've done a lot better than UND.

:);)

• Like 2