SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/in-season-of-slim-margins-two-blown-leads-loom-large

Crazy to think how just two blown 3-goal leads would change UND's NCHC and PWR outlooks this season:

UND led St. Cloud State 3-0 in December in St. Cloud. It led Western Michigan 5-2 on Saturday night in Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Had UND finished off those two games, it would be just three points back of Omaha for second in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference standings. As it stands, the Fighting Hawks will enter this weekend's series against Minnesota Duluth in seventh.

Had UND finished off those two games, it would be No. 11 in the Pairwise Rankings — in terrific position to be in Fargo for the NCAA regionals in March. As it stands, the Fighting Hawks are No. 23 and face a daunting task — winning roughly nine of the final 12 regular-season games — to be in that position.

And...for everyone's favorite xG metric:

If you go through the xG of every game for each team, the metric predicts over half of the NCHC teams' record to almost exact precision — Denver (18-6 projected, 19-5 reality), Western Michigan (15-9 projected, 14-9-1 reality), Colorado College (10-12 projected, 10-11-1 reality), Minnesota Duluth (10-12 projected, 9-12-1 reality), Miami (7-15 projected, 7-13-2 reality).

And then there's UND.

Based on location of shot attempts for UND vs. its opponents, it thinks the Fighting Hawks should be 19-4. Reality is 9-10-4.

It is, by far, the biggest differential of any team in the league and perhaps any team in the country.

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

So based on where the team is getting shots from they should be 19-4.

So why aren't they going in? Do we have bad shooting skills? 

For UND they are. I've read a lot of valid, really good discussion points over the last few days of issues with this team. Let's not overcomplicate it though, it's not the only issue, but Goaltending is the issue. I've slowly learned over the years when it comes to UND sports to never think you've reached rock bottom, because it gets worse, BUT, you have to think we are currently watching history this year. We're watching the University of North Dakota Men's hockey team be the worst at something. Not bad, not below average, but the actual statistically worst in the county. 

Side note: Remember when DeRidder was lights out against WMU in Kalamazoo, also happens to be the only goalie on roster that is a capable D1 goalie and then Berry decided the best bet to win was to not play him against that same Western team? Good times. 

• Upvote 1

Here's the million-dollar question. Is Hellsten on the roster next year? This is going to be a very interesting off-season for Berry. Last off-season was very frustrating to watch. From my point of view, so many schools seemed so calculated. UND's did not appear to be. Felt very disjointed. 

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

Here's the million-dollar question. Is Hellsten on the roster next year? This is going to be a very interesting off-season for Berry. Last off-season was very frustrating to watch. From my point of view, so many schools seemed so calculated. UND's did not appear to be. Felt very disjointed. 

Is it possible it looked that way to you, but in fact it was the execution of a plan by the coaches?  It seems like they got what they wanted:  Farmer and Sidorski to fill in for D recruits who were not ready, and DeRidder in net.  Those two D have not remotely been the problem this year, and I think DeRidder was thought to be one of the top targets at the position.  Obviously fixing the tending of the goal is Roman numeral I for the off-season.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, jk said:

... and I think DeRidder was thought to be one of the top targets at the position.  

I'm no goalie expert (paging @Wilbur) but I'm not sure DeRidder was a top 3 portal goalie spring of 2022.

I see Basse at SCSU and Kucharski (17-7-3 at AIC) at UNO as guys I was more interested in. And those two come after TJ Semptimphelter (NE'n to ASU). 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm no goalie expert (paging @Wilbur) but I'm not sure DeRidder was a top 3 portal goalie spring of 2022.

I see Basse at SCSU and Kucharski (17-7-3 at AIC) at UNO as guys I was more interested in. And those two come after TJ Semptimphelter (NE'n to ASU). 

DeRidder got offers from over 30 NCAA teams, including UNO. Kucharski wasn’t UNO’s first choice. 

• Upvote 1

The question "why are the shots not going in" mademe wonder....  I saw & heard the announcers comment on high & wide, missing the net.  I also recall that a few seasons back, the forums here lamenting hoe all the pucks are buried in the tendies belly...  coincidence? Or is the great hockey collective here at Siouxsportz guiding the team?   If they do read these boards I would suspect it adds to the pressure and frustration. 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, yes. After he played a great game against us last October, we all became more interested in him last May. LOL. ;)

23 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

The question "why are the shots not going in" mademe wonder....  I saw & heard the announcers comment on high & wide, missing the net.  I also recall that a few seasons back, the forums here lamenting hoe all the pucks are buried in the tendies belly...  coincidence? Or is the great hockey collective here at Siouxsportz guiding the team?   If they do read these boards I would suspect it adds to the pressure and frustration. 

My theory is the arguments over what new NODAK jerseys should be busted out and when.

1 hour ago, jk said:

Is it possible it looked that way to you, but in fact it was the execution of a plan by the coaches?  It seems like they got what they wanted:  Farmer and Sidorski to fill in for D recruits who were not ready, and DeRidder in net.  Those two D have not remotely been the problem this year, and I think DeRidder was thought to be one of the top targets at the position.  Obviously fixing the tending of the goal is Roman numeral I for the off-season.

Not having a single defenseman recruit ready to step into what we thought was a good situation was frustrating, but not what I felt was disjointed. Wasn't DeRidder either. The Forward situation from my point of view was a mess. Started with no Forwards entering the portal the first few weeks. Decision to bring back both 10 / 19 which I think the majority on here questioned. This is just how it felt, but I didn't think Berry expected both to come back. When you looked at the second half of last years season, I would have told you that the 4th line was > Senden line. Guess what, this year the 4th Line > Senden line. The Spicer situation.  Is James coming in or not. Forward logjam. Budy taking another month after Calder enters to finally go. Back to my original post, felt like other schools had a plan in place right away. Didn't feel that way for UND. 

8 minutes ago, AJS said:

Not having a single defenseman recruit ready to step into what we thought was a good situation was frustrating, but not what I felt was disjointed. Wasn't DeRidder either. The Forward situation from my point of view was a mess. Started with no Forwards entering the portal the first few weeks. Decision to bring back both 10 / 19 which I think the majority on here questioned. This is just how it felt, but I didn't think Berry expected both to come back. When you looked at the second half of last years season, I would have told you that the 4th line was > Senden line. Guess what, this year the 4th Line > Senden line. The Spicer situation.  Is James coming in or not. Forward logjam. Budy taking another month after Calder enters to finally go. Back to my original post, felt like other schools had a plan in place right away. Didn't feel that way for UND. 

It really seemed to me Calder definitely thought he was coming back. Though I have no inside information. If we hadn’t brought back Senden and Hain I wonder if Calder and Budy would still be on the team or if they still transfer. 

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

It really seemed to me Calder definitely thought he was coming back. Though I have no inside information. If we hadn’t brought back Senden and Hain I wonder if Calder and Budy would still be on the team or if they still transfer. 

Budy was not going to be asked to return regardless.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I’m not 100% but I think Calder’s decision to transfer was strictly an academic decision. Something about his degree / major not being available at und. 

3 minutes ago, dustnyou said:

I’m not 100% but I think Calder’s decision to transfer was strictly an academic decision. Something about his degree / major not being available at und. 

Calder graduated from UND in the spring so I am going to say that’s not true. I know he came to UND from Lake State and that might have been an academic choice because Lake State doesn’t have graduate degree programs and he was almost done with his finance degree when he got to UND. He needed a school with a graduate program if he was going to do a 5th year. 

58 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Since game outcomes seems to mean very little,  especially this weekend with both teams...  will we see some fights?  Berry and Sandy in a tunnel would be epic.

Berry and Sandy are buddies. Doubt that will happen, but we could see a rough series. :)