SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

On 7/14/2022 at 9:19 AM, scpa0305 said:

He’s going to have a big year. Hopefully they find him linemates he can gel with early.

Blake to Hoogste.....Blake to Gaber......scores!!!!!!!

Barring any injury I think Gaber ends up a Hobey finalist and All American this season.

Is a 60 point season possible for him, or is the NCHC to good defensively to allow that type of year to happen?  Brink was close last year with 57.    

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Summer scrimmages started today. We're getting close!!!

Only true rookie that was there was McLaughlin and apparently he fit right in and looked dynamic. Good start.

Were the portal inbounds (Sidorski, Farmer, DeRidder) there? 

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/gavin-hain-is-back-on-skates-after-season-ending-knee-injury

As summer scrimmage season opened, the best sign of the day for the Fighting Hawks was seeing forward Gavin Hain as a full participant.

Hain went through drills and played in the short scrimmage that followed. His participation came one week after he skated at Philadelphia Flyers development camp.

Hain, of Grand Rapids, Minn., was playing his best hockey when the injury happened. He had been UND's leading goal-scorer over the previous two months and had scored in four-straight weekends.

Three of the four rookie forwards are in town — Owen McLaughlin, Jackson Blake and Ben Strinden. McLaughlin and Blake will depart this week, along with junior defenseman Tyler Kleven, for the USA Hockey's World Junior summer camp in Plymouth, Mich.

The other freshman on the roster, forward Dylan James, has not yet arrived in Grand Forks. He just completed NHL development camp with the Detroit Red Wings and is headed to participate in Hockey Canada's World Junior summer development camp beginning Friday in his hometown of Calgary.

8 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, nothing standout from any of the tendies. Nothing bad, though.

Speaking of which:   Does the goalie have to pay for the artwork on his helmet?  What is the price range for that kind of work?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, burd said:

Speaking of which:   Does the goalie have to pay for the artwork on his helmet?  What is the price range for that kind of work?

As of 2016 it was ...

The school allows each goalie to get a new paint job every two years, and they often spend many hours trying to develop designs and graphics for their helmets.

https://www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/the-story-behind-the-und-hockey-masks

18 hours ago, burd said:

No, and $400 plus according to young goaltenders that I walk past time and again.  

I challenge a UND goaltender to go old school with the KG old Cooper helmet and throat protector.  The pain of getting hit with a puck with one of those is temporary, I promise.....

I hate the proposed transfer rule. Free agency in college hockey. So could a player enter the portal after the selection show and play for a team in the tournament? I hope the rule would be written to prevent it.

The NCAA is on track to pass new transfer rules next month.

The new rules would give players the ability to transfer an unlimited number of times, but it would implement a window for entering the transfer portal.

The window would open the day after the NCAA selection show in March and last for 60 days.

2 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

The new rules would give players the ability to transfer an unlimited number of times, but it would implement a window for entering the transfer portal.

The window would open the day after the NCAA selection show in March and last for 60 days.

:angry::angry::angry:

4 hours ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I hate the proposed transfer rule. Free agency in college hockey. So could a player enter the portal after the selection show and play for a team in the tournament? I hope the rule would be written to prevent it.

NIL.... the most important aspect of college athletics. 

And everything else is falling behind fast

On 3/25/2022 at 10:37 AM, tnt said:

Tim Hennessey has been saying this on his broadcasts.  He said he thinks the plan was to stay, but if he can't play his game that could change things.  I would guess he should come back and be more of the go to guy next year. 

Kleven is a man playing with boys and the refs will not let him play his game. Kleven got called for a ton of penalties which the vast majority were clean hits.  It frustrates me so much to see those ticky tack calls on Kleven.

On 7/19/2022 at 9:48 AM, Wilbur said:

Blake to Hoogste.....Blake to Gaber......scores!!!!!!!

Barring any injury I think Gaber ends up a Hobey finalist and All American this season.

Is a 60 point season possible for him, or is the NCHC to good defensively to allow that type of year to happen?  Brink was close last year with 57.    

I sure hope your analysis of Gaber is spot on. A lot of Gaber's production will depend on Goehring putting another scoring threat on the other dot on his power play unit. Last year most teams just keyed on Gaber one timing from the dot and blocked tons of his shots.  

17 hours ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I sure hope your analysis of Gaber is spot on. A lot of Gaber's production will depend on Goehring putting another scoring threat on the other dot on his power play unit. Last year most teams just keyed on Gaber one timing from the dot and blocked tons of his shots.  

So many factors affect a single player's scoring output, including his line's ability to cover defensive assignments (not just him) and confidence in the defense (including goalie) behind him.   They're all part of a single weave.  

• Upvote 3

I know there’s a lot of recruitment discussion happening right now. I’m more interested in the coming season and line combinations. I have no idea how that’ll snake out but I’ve been doing a lot of speculation.

Gaber McLaughlin Caulfield 

Costantini Schmaltz Blake

Hain Jamernik Senden

James Ness Portz

Kunz

Kleven Frisch 

Jandric Farmer

Moore Johnson

Hellsten

DeRidder

• Upvote 1