SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

I like how everyone holds out Denver as the model we should follow, when they had many of the same players last year and couldn’t score near as much.  The same way we had problems until after Adams, Mismash and Kawaguchi’s sophomore seasons.  People progress quite a bit from year to year.  Up until Hain’s injury the line with Senden and Jamernik were our most consistent line.  People assume junior numbers are going to translate, but that doesn’t always happen, so give me guys that have transitioned and hope guys like Kunz and Schmaltz can use this as a stepping stone to more offense next year, and become consistent contributors next year.  

12 hours ago, tnt said:

I like how everyone holds out Denver as the model we should follow, when they had many of the same players last year and couldn’t score near as much.  The same way we had problems until after Adams, Mismash and Kawaguchi’s sophomore seasons.  People progress quite a bit from year to year.  Up until Hain’s injury the line with Senden and Jamernik were our most consistent line.  People assume junior numbers are going to translate, but that doesn’t always happen, so give me guys that have transitioned and hope guys like Kunz and Schmaltz can use this as a stepping stone to more offense next year, and become consistent contributors next year.  

Denver did return a lot, but did look at their roster this year? They nailed their Freshman class. Mazur (36 points), Rizzo (35 points), Behrens <Defense> (29 points), Devine (18 points), Buium <Defense> (17 points). Also, added a 22 goal scorer as a Grad transfer in Wright. 35% of their points came from players that were not on their roster last year. 

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Thanks.  So 20-21 was 4G-5A for 9 points, and a +10.  Certainly not eye-popping stats, but a contributor, and significantly better than 21-22 (1 G and -4; yikes!).  I still feel he was a valuable member of the 20-21 squad, but really regressed in 21-22.

We lose Ford. We need a center. McLaughlin is obvious solution. 

Honestly, with Senden and Hain coming back, that's the only official opening at forward. 

We need speed and offense, and that's Blake.

Here again is where I ponder outbound portals, and maybe running with more than 15 forwards. 

2 hours ago, AJS said:

Denver did return a lot, but did look at their roster this year? They nailed their Freshman class. Mazur (36 points), Rizzo (35 points), Behrens <Defense> (29 points), Devine (18 points), Buium <Defense> (17 points). Also, added a 22 goal scorer as a Grad transfer in Wright. 35% of their points came from players that were not on their roster last year. 

That is definitely true, but the progression of Brink, Guttman and Stapely from 14 goals total last year to 55 this year sure helps as well, although some of that was injury/covid related.  Like they say, a rising tide lifts all boats, so I am sure the freshmen benefited nicely from the rising tide of those 3 as well.   

It's not advantageous for the player to wait to enter the portal or for the coaching staff to lead anybody on. We found out about Senden / Hain yesterday. I would say start the clock this morning. If we don't hear about anything in the next 3 days, the portal is not happening. I do think we will see it, so it'll happen sooner than later. 

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

That is definitely true, but the progression of Brink, Guttman and Stapely from 14 goals total last year to 55 this year sure helps as well, although some of that was injury/covid related.  Like they say, a rising tide lifts all boats, so I am sure the freshmen benefited nicely from the rising tide of those 3 as well.   

You are not wrong. Return a great core and fill in the pieces from there. I guess what I'm saying is some turnover is healthy. I know you never suggested it isn't, but I just wanted to point out that Denver didn't actually "run it back".

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

With the news over the last couple days, I can't help but think the 22-23 team has the potential to be special.

We definitely do. Defense will be very solid, so will goaltending. 

1 hour ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

We will be strong defensively but need to score goals to win games, thats where Berry should be focusing. 

We play the slippery slope of assuming, but we have to assume some sort of progression from all players. Judd and Gaber feel like our must haves. That will take a little bit of jump from Juddy to stay consistent. Need these two to perform. From there, Costantini, Schmaltz, Portz, Kunz should all take steps forward to score goals. Jammer proved some scoring punch earlier this year. Maybe he keeps pushing forward with that. Hain (maybe more than the rest), Sendo, Albrecht, Ness all will chip in. 

The two rookies I know will come in will be Blake and McLaughlin and will immediately slot in as Top 6. Both will definitely inject some life into this offense. Strinden may play a bottom 6 role, but he absolutely can contribute.

We should and need to be around 3.3 or 3.5 goals per game next year and if we are, we've got a really good chance of being really, really good.

• Upvote 1