SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

Many years it's hard to figure out how they'll address the roster issues, and I take comfort in the fact that while I don't know the plan, the coaches do.  This year, maybe they don't even know it yet.  There are a few moving parts, plus mysteries behind portal door number three.  I do know this team was tough to play against at the end of the year, and if they bring back the fifth year guys plus everyone else older and stronger, they will be that and more. 

However, you also have to get the puck in the net, and in the playoffs you have to do it on the PP, like, in the last 90 seconds of regulation.  With that in mind, guys like James and Spicer cannot come out of this game of musical chairs without a chair.  If it's a seat the following year, that's fine, as long as the chair is in GF.  The coaches are much smarter than I am, and I'm sure they know the squad needs to have slicker players, so it'll be interesting to see how they put it together.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Heard were close on a portal D man. Could be done Wednesday. Not being talked about on here at all. But, I like it, if it happens. 

Nice.  Hoping we hear about that and the Senden/Hain decisions this week...then the roster will be taking shape for next season.

Before it's announced, hoping it's a guy that could be considered Top 4 with at least 2 years of eligibility. UND defensively is in a very unique situation returning so much, where a Top 4 guy isn't a make or break type deal, but considering they don't have to be picky, load up! I do like Ferner as a strong #8 guy, but the more talent / depth the better. 

Just my personal view, I'm fine with a fifth year guy.  While they do lose a lot next year, they will have some well-seasoned recruits ready to come in, and there's always the portal next year too.  

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Before it's announced, hoping it's a guy that could be considered Top 4 with at least 2 years of eligibility. UND defensively is in a very unique situation returning so much, where a Top 4 guy isn't a make or break type deal, but considering they don't have to be picky, load up! I do like Ferner as a strong #8 guy, but the more talent / depth the better. 

Top 4, definitely. One year left, unfortunately. I'd say he'd be our third best D behind Frisch and Kleven.

34 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Top 4, definitely. One year left, unfortunately. I'd say he'd be our third best D behind Frisch and Kleven.

Very intrigued. If it's someone that can bring the defensively unit into the next hypothetical level, you go for it, regardless of years left. 

1 hour ago, jk said:

Just my personal view, I'm fine with a fifth year guy.  While they do lose a lot next year, they will have some well-seasoned recruits ready to come in, and there's always the portal next year too.  

This is the most important aspect that I need to almost recondition my thinking around. If you need balance, there's always the portal. So, why wouldn't you load up and take it one year at a time. 

30 minutes ago, AJS said:

Very intrigued. If it's someone that can bring the defensively unit into the next hypothetical level, you go for it, regardless of years left. 

This is the most important aspect that I need to almost recondition my thinking around. If you need balance, there's always the portal. So, why wouldn't you load up and take it one year at a time. 

...and if our program isn't already attractive to high end portal talent, I would think if there are some openings for playing time next year, that would make it that much more attractive. 

11 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Heard were close on a portal D man. Could be done Wednesday. Not being talked about on here at all. But, I like it, if it happens. 

Is the player one of the potential portal D targets that Schlossman lists in todays daily skate article?

50 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Is the player one of the potential portal D targets that Schlossman lists in todays daily skate article?

The two that stick out as legitimate Top 4 guys are Farmer and Daschke. 

Also from that article:

Defenseman Tyler Kleven is still working through his decision on next season. The Ottawa Senators are putting on a full-court press to get him signed, but so far, he's held steady. A final decision will likely come by the end of the month.