SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Judging by year over year number/trending I would be blown away if he’s remotely close to Stech. At the same age stech was in year 3 in the NHL 

Probably not as good as Stech but plays a similar style I’m guessing. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

So right now, only Ford is gone. (Who knows if Senden and Hain returning drives one or more to the portal.)  

There are 14 forwards on the roster, and I stand by my statements that the team needs offense and speed. 

Also, there have been too many times in recent years where every healthy body was on the game day roster card and we still couldn't fill it out. Is that starting to creep into these decisions and moves?

Is Bubs moving from the Blais/Hak model of 15F/8D/3G to something new? Hence my earlier question about ... how many stalls in the renovated locker room? 

Great points , the injury bug could derail a season if you have no healthy bodies to go. 

10 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Great points , the injury bug could derail a season if you have no healthy bodies to go. 

I get what you/Eades meant…he’s a smaller D man that goes hard. Limited O upside it appears, which this team really needs in the worst way. We’ll have age/experience on our side though which will be a plus.

9 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

Reports I've received say Farmer played "Charlie Huddy" to < ahem > some UMass freshman's poor choices. 

Charley Huddy covered Paul Coffey's bad choices on the ice in EDM and LAK.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ChadR said:

Log jam at forward. Guessing Spicer will play USHL next year.

Agreed…we may want James to play another year to be honest. Guessing strinden doesn’t touch the ice next year. Hain and Senden should be nice bottom six players. Blake will slot in top 6 with Gaber.

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Reports I've received say Farmer played "Charlie Huddy" to < ahem > some UMass freshman's poor choices. 

This is hilarious. Morrow is a stud, no question about that. But…he does play wagon wheel hockey…and I love it.

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The old Northlands coliseum smelled like burnt coffee during game day, lol

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

This is hilarious. Morrow is a stud, no question about that. But…he does play wagon wheel hockey…and I love it.

He plays fire wagon hockey, and is the arsonist in his own end too often. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I get what you/Eades meant…he’s a smaller D man that goes hard. Limited O upside it appears, which this team really needs in the worst way. We’ll have age/experience on our side though which will be a plus.

I think it was also pointed out that some of his limited offense was due to him having to cover a lot for a younger more offensive minded defenseman. Depending who you pair him with, may he will have a little more opportunity to contribute on the stat sheet.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Judging by year over year number/trending I would be blown away if he’s remotely close to Stech. At the same age stech was in year 3 in the NHL 

It's not a comparison of his offensive skills. It's his skating, effort, size that comp to Stetchy. He's a very, very good hockey player.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

It's not a comparison of his offensive skills. It's his skating, effort, size that comp to Stetchy. He's a very, very good hockey player.

He did show a little offense in his final season in the USHL in Fargo. Also put up some pretty good offensive stats as a freshman.

He has played with quite a few offensive minded defenseman while in college..Makar, Del Gaizo, Zac Jones, Kessel, and Morrow so he possibly played the role they needed him in.

• Upvote 1

Now UND has to avoid falling into the trap of having most of the team back and failing to find the magic.  It doesn't just happen because you're back, you have to make it happen.  Look at SC this year.  The whole "unfinished business" thing seems to often end with the business still not finished. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, jk said:

Now UND has to avoid falling into the trap of having most of the team back and failing to find the magic.  It doesn't just happen because you're back, you have to make it happen.  Look at SC this year.  The whole "unfinished business" thing seems to often end with the business still not finished. 

In October 2022 tell them it's February of 2022 for the next seven months. And ... GO! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed…we may want James to play another year to be honest. Guessing strinden doesn’t touch the ice next year. Hain and Senden should be nice bottom six players. Blake will slot in top 6 with Gaber.

Does Strinden have any Junior eligibility left?

3 minutes ago, tnt said:

Does Strinden have any Junior eligibility left?

I think I read this in an article earlier.

His junior team had originally expected him back to potentially be their captain next season until it became likely he goes to school so he theoretically could go back. 

37 minutes ago, petey23 said:

He did show a little offense in his final season in the USHL in Fargo. Also put up some pretty good offensive stats as a freshman.

He has played with quite a few offensive minded defenseman while in college..Makar, Del Gaizo, Zac Jones, Kessel, and Morrow so he possibly played the role they needed him in.

I imagine him in the similar role, honestly. I can see him paired with Jandric, Moore, or Johnson and let those three offensive horses gallop and covering them when needed. I saw a lot of tape of him in the past two days and the kid is so dang responsible and full of effort. I'm very, very happy with this move. 

36 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

His junior team had originally expected him back to potentially be their captain next season until it became likely he goes to school so he theoretically could go back. 

You would think that something has to give, unless Calder doesn't come back or there is someone else planning on leaving.    Even if Budy left, you would think that Strinden and/or James would probably need to go back to juniors to have a manageable roster.   

15 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I imagine him [Farmer] in the similar role, honestly. I can see him paired with Jandric, Moore, or Johnson and let those three offensive horses gallop and covering them when needed. I saw a lot of tape of him in the past two days and the kid is so dang responsible and full of effort. I'm very, very happy with this move. 

Plus, farmers are always welcome in the Valley.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

Might be best for him TBH…I don’t really see a spot for him. May be better off playing line 1/top PP and continuing to develop. 

52 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We don't need Senden and Ness and Strinden. That's three where one of those on a roster will do. 

This is ultimately the million dollar type question that Berry will have to answer soon. Is he going to look at his available roster / incoming recruits and build his Forward group to make them in his eyes the strongest potential group. To add to your first sentence, is he going to look at Hain / Albrecht for example and pick one. If that's the case, you'll see at least two current forwards enter the portal, maybe more. Senden / Hain play a roll others play better. 

Edit: My idea of the strongest roster might not be Berry's, obviously. He might like the Senden line at 3 and Ness line at 4. For me, I would like only one "checking" type line.

The next couple weeks will be interesting. I agree, I wonder what the consequence will be of returning Hain/Senden, while only 2 seniors leaving and 1 early departure. I don't know exactly how it looks or what the roster count will be at now if you include projected freshmen coming in, but with this small of turnover, wonder about players transferring out, and if so, who and how many?