SiouxSports.com Forum

2022-23 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

What were you thinking? I think it's a really nice fit. Would have preferred a two-year guy, but Farmer is a really good player.

Yeah would have been great to get another year out of a portal guy since that means next year we'll lose half our d-corps, but for 23/24 we could bring in a couple recruits and 1-2 more portal guys.  Sucks to rely on the portal, but it's there, so might as well take advantage and use it.

7 hours ago, tnt said:

Seems to me that Ottawa would be a much better team if they developed their talent better.  It might be best for them to let UND hold on to the players and develop them for Ottawa.   UND seems to bring in a new cast of players and develop them into an NCHC championship team, Ottawa brings in one high draft pick after another and doesn't seem to have progressed.  Maybe let UND hold on to someone another year that won't be in your lineup consistently anyway.   

Things might be different since Eugene Melnyk died about a week ago

3 hours ago, brianvf said:

Yeah would have been great to get another year out of a portal guy since that means next year we'll lose half our d-corps, but for 23/24 we could bring in a couple recruits and 1-2 more portal guys.  Sucks to rely on the portal, but it's there, so might as well take advantage and use it.

Absolutely! The portal shouldn't be our primary source of getting players, but it is there, and there will always be some talent out there. Fortunately, UND is a perennial power with top notch facilities and is a nice landing spot for top transfers who are looking for a new home. When we need to fill some spots, it will be a good tool.

Is it October yet? The team we have, the players we are returning, the new players that are coming and the other teams that are turning over; UND could be poised for a pretty strong season. Definite contenders to win the NCHC again. Hopefully a team that can win another championship; but I'd really like to see us back at the Frozen Four on a fairly regular basis. That was definitely the fun part with the Hak years, was you always had a great chance to at least get to the FF. Berry has had some unfortunate losses (The BU BS, The UMD Game, and of course Covid ending one of our best teams in recent years).

Time to get it done next season! Really hoping to see some freshman contribute with nice numbers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Who is going to be the #1 faceoff guy on our team next season?

Great question....Schmaltz.....Jammer.....McLaughlin.....Ness.....Senden......

Jason Ulmer and Schmaltz have a few dates this summer.....

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm still concerned about the transitions at forward and adding offense and speed. 

Lets get some predictions, how do you see the forward position playing out?

This is what I think will happen, not what I hope happens.

• Senden / Hain both return
  • 1 Player on current roster enter the portal
  • 3 Freshman forwards (Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden)

I think they carry 16 forwards next year. 

24 minutes ago, AJS said:

Lets get some predictions, how do you see the forward position playing out?

This is what I think will happen, not what I hope happens.

• Senden / Hain both return
  • 1 Player on current roster enter the portal
  • 3 Freshman forwards (Blake / McLaughlin / Strinden)

I think they carry 16 forwards next year. 

If they have injuries it may be nice to have extra depth, but if they don't have injuries, you could see some players with little ice time take to the portal.  

14 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I think they will bring 4 in ,  Blake, McLaughlin, James and Strinden. 

Jamernik-Hain-Senden

Blake-Gaber-Schmaltz

constantini-McLaughlin-James

Caulfield-portz-Calder 

ness-albrecht-Strinden 

NARRATOR: Conspicuously absent from Elevens' list were Budy, Kunz, and the full Monty ... 

20 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I think they will bring 4 in ,  Blake, McLaughlin, James and Strinden. 

Jamernik-Hain-Senden

Blake-Gaber-Schmaltz

constantini-McLaughlin-James

Caulfield-portz-Calder 

ness-albrecht-Strinden 

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NARRATOR: Conspicuously absent from Elevens' list were Budy, Kunz, and the full Monty ... 

I can absolutely see Budy being gone. I don't think he will be, but I could see him leaving. Kunz and Monty, I would be very surprised to see them go.

16 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

If he’s remotely comparable to Troy Stecher as mentioned in article. Good addition to the team IMO.

Judging by year over year number/trending I would be blown away if he’s remotely close to Stech. At the same age stech was in year 3 in the NHL 

Domino # 1 has fallen. What's exciting about this is Berry is seemingly constructing his ideal roster for next year. He wanted Hain / Senden back and they are coming back. Home runs in the portal at Goaltending / Defense. Still domino #2 (potential portal current players) #3 (who's in from FR class). 

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Congratulations on your Understatement of the Day award. 

Maybe the other domino hasn't fallen yet? It's conceivable, that UND could lose a player or two to the transfer portal. 

• Upvote 1

So right now, only Ford is gone. (Who knows if Senden and Hain returning drives one or more to the portal.)  

There are 14 forwards on the roster, and I stand by my statements that the team needs offense and speed. 

Also, there have been too many times in recent years where every healthy body was on the game day roster card and we still couldn't fill it out. Is that starting to creep into these decisions and moves?

Is Bubs moving from the Blais/Hak model of 15F/8D/3G to something new? Hence my earlier question about ... how many stalls in the renovated locker room?