SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night at the Rob

Kevin G

1 minute ago, Goon said:

If UND gave out a seventh player award for the first half, I think that Louis Jamernik would be that player. He's taken a huge step forward and is a complete player that plays a 200-foot game. 

Making us aviation majors proud :)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Goon said:

If UND gave out a seventh player award for the first half, I think that Louis Jamernik would be that player. He's taken a huge step forward and is a complete player that plays a 200-foot game. 

I think the same could be said for Senden and Hain also although Senden was likely already there prior to this season.

20 minutes ago, siouxnatty#8 said:

I think the same could be said for Senden and Hain also although Senden was likely already there prior to this season.

Louie reminds me of Conner Gaarder, plays his part well and has been refining his game a good pace. Senden plays with emotion and now has a lot of confidence to go with that. Hain, for me the jury is still out. Hain has been fortunate playing with Senden. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

Louie reminds me of Conner Gaarder, plays his part well and has been refining his game a good pace. Senden plays with emotion and now has a lot of confidence to go with that. Hain, for me the jury is still out. Hain has been fortunate playing with Senden. 

I think each of their games seems to compliment the others games well.  Berry found this out when he tried to split Jammer onto another line.  I think it was Jammer he moved off for a few games.

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

My 3 stars tonight....

1) Jamernik 

2) Godsmack 

3) The Swede

Fun series at the Rob. We'll be back.

Thanks for the plug!

I wore my #8 Schmaltz jersey tonight and the couple we were at the game with are Jewish and my buddy tells his wife, who in turn, tells my wife-who’s rooting for the Tigers-that Schmaltz is Yiddish for chicken fat. So now I’m chicken fat whenever I bust out the Schmaltz sweater. 

28 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

If you saw towards the end of the game Hain rang one off the post very similar to the spot Jammer scored his first goal from.  I like Hain's game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jk said:

The second half looks very tough, with Cornell on top of the NCHC grind that will include match-ups with an apparently very good WMU team that we haven't seen yet.  All in all this team has been a pleasant surprise. 

Agreed.  Starts with a Cornell team with only one loss all season.  And then 2x series against both Omaha and Western.

If the PWR stays anywhere at all close to what it is now...will probably result in a ton of all-NCHC regional finals (especially if the committee puts them all in the same regionals to avoid the dreaded all-NCHC frozen 4).
Currently the NCHC has 2x one seeds and 3x two seeds.

1 hour ago, jk said:

Also, Jammer is becoming one of the team's best and most important players.  Just relentless.

That first goal of his tonight was sweet.  Carried it with a ton of speed, nice deke near center ice and then gets the goal surrounded by all five CC players.  Beauty of a goal to tie it up.

• Upvote 1

CC is already playing better under Moyette. Frankly, nobody affiliated with that Blackhawks coaching staff from their scandal should be employed; not sure if that impacted their parting ways with Haviland or not, but their play tonight was encouraging. Wouldn't be surprised to see them steal more points than expected in the second half. Yesterday's game never really felt in question after the first period, but they responded well and kept it close tonight. Another strong team in the conference is always welcome, and while they aren't there yet, their fans have something to look forward to.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

CC is already playing better under Moyette. Frankly, nobody affiliated with that Blackhawks coaching staff from their scandal should be employed; not sure if that impacted their parting ways with Haviland or not, but their play tonight was encouraging. Wouldn't be surprised to see them steal more points than expected in the second half. Yesterday's game never really felt in question after the first period, but they responded well and kept it close tonight. Another strong team in the conference is always welcome, and while they aren't there yet, their fans have something to look forward to.

I think it partially did, but he wasn't successful as you'd think a coach with NHL experience would have. Just look at Wisconsin.

I like the hire CC went with and in a couple years they will start to turn the tide on Denver.

8 hours ago, Godsmack said:

I’m late to the party as I just got home from the game. Why was Senden a late scratch? 

Also, in the post game interview Coach Mayotte felt the refs were trying hard to look for something to call all night. I would agree with that assessment. The succession of tripping calls, while maybe some or all of them may have been legit, but didn’t anyone else notice CC getting away with a high elbow to the head in the second period that the refs naturally missed? Of all the things they called in the 2nd and they missed an actual dirty play??? Wow.

You could see dreger getting frustrated with sterns calling penalties in his zone right in front of him.  From 150 feet away. Then that review which apparently was for contact to the head? I think sterns is out to get the league after the benched him and some of the older guys are with him. 

Solid weekend of hockey to end a solid first half of the season. Watching the guys the first couple weekends I wouldn't have even thought they would be on top of the conference at the break especially by 6 points. This isn't a vintage team talent wise or a team without some flaws but when they play the style that this team has to play it can be pretty good. I think we are seeing some guys starting to grow in their game a little bit as well. Last couple weeks Moore, Jandric, Portz, and Ness a little have looked a lot more comfortable and confident in their games out there. I think there is still plenty of room for this team to grow. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Solid weekend of hockey to end a solid first half of the season. Watching the guys the first couple weekends I wouldn't have even thought they would be on top of the conference at the break especially by 6 points. This isn't a vintage team talent wise or a team without some flaws but when they play the style that this team has to play it can be pretty good. I think we are seeing some guys starting to grow in their game a little bit as well. Last couple weeks Moore, Jandric, Portz, and Ness a little have looked a lot more comfortable and confident in their games out there. I think there is still plenty of room for this team to grow. 

Yeah, Ness has been noticeable in his step forward.  It’s only a matter of time before he gets the monkey off his back, and hopefully it’s a big goal.

43 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, Ness has been noticeable in his step forward.  It’s only a matter of time before he gets the monkey off his back, and hopefully it’s a big goal.

One of my keys to the year was one of Ness / Budy really needed to take a step forward. To put this as nice as possible, they were underwhelming last year. I think this second half is make it or break it for Ness. Nice to hear some feel he’s starting to turn it on.

14 hours ago, Sweethockey said:

I thought Portz played well in place of Senden.  This line is starting to become an offensive force lately as far as on the rush and not just creating chances on the forecheck.  Jammers goal Saturday was borderline sick with 5 CC players surrounding him.  Hain ripped a laser off the post from top of circle late in the game that cleanly beat Vernon also.  I really think if we could groom some younger guys like a Ness, Albrecht and maybe Kunz as a 2nd shutdown line it would let Berry match up the Senden line against the other teams 3 or 4 line as I think they could reak havoc.  Just a thought.  Couldn't do that against top teams like Denver with Savoie line etc.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

They don’t give out trophies for winning the first half. It’s been impressive so far but there’s much more to be done. 

In our league it barely gives you a leg up to secure home ice for the playoffs.  With our start, sweeps in the second half will go a long way in doing that, since all the other teams will be beating up each other.  We just need to find a way not to lose our mojo during the break like we did years ago when Scheel was playing lights out then lost his confidence.