SiouxSports.com Forum

Saturday night at the Rob

Kevin G

This was a good road performance.  Not very much mojo offensively, but they pulled a "Duluth" tonight, with the shut down, don't break mentality.  Held them to 1 goal, and took advantage when the opportunity arose.  I like the direction the team is going, but I would like to see more consistent offensive possession.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Fun fact:  the video feed from Robson is still up 10+ mins after the game.

Live-vlogging arena clean-up just might be the hottest new sensation in sports programming.

It looked like a fun atmosphere there in the crowd when the cameras showed the breaks.  Mascot was having fun dancing in the student section for the dance cam.

9 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I really didn't think this team had a shot at the NCHC regular season title, but with how much other teams keep beating up on each other, anything's possible.

Difference to me so far is that UND took care of business against the two bottom tier teams, Miami and CC, and some of the other teams have gave up points against them. 

How is it possible they've already played 19 games? That's more than half the season.  Not a powerhouse at all, but they'll start January pretty high in the pairwise.  While the sweep of Denver looms large, the real accomplishment was salvaging splits out of four weekends against good to great teams that seemed too much for UND to handle after one night. 

The second half looks very tough, with Cornell on top of the NCHC grind that will include match-ups with an apparently very good WMU team that we haven't seen yet.  All in all this team has been a pleasant surprise. 

Pretty nice job by Hellsten. Seems confident handling the puck and moving it, pretty quick recoveries, didn't seen to get wildly out of position, and was a battler.  Hopefully rebound control will improve. 

Also, Jammer is becoming one of the team's best and most important players.  Just relentless.

1 minute ago, jk said:

Pretty nice job by Hellsten. Seems confident handling the puck and moving it, pretty quick recoveries, didn't seen to get wildly out of position, and was a battler.  Hopefully rebound control will improve. 

Also, Jammer is becoming one of the team's best and most important players.  Just relentless.

That whole line plays like Junk Yard Dogs

I’m late to the party as I just got home from the game. Why was Senden a late scratch? 

Also, in the post game interview Coach Mayotte felt the refs were trying hard to look for something to call all night. I would agree with that assessment. The succession of tripping calls, while maybe some or all of them may have been legit, but didn’t anyone else notice CC getting away with a high elbow to the head in the second period that the refs naturally missed? Of all the things they called in the 2nd and they missed an actual dirty play??? Wow.

Just now, Godsmack said:

I’m late to the party as I just got home from the game. Why was Senden a late scratch? 

Also, in the post game interview Coach Mayotte felt the refs were trying hard to look for something to call all night. 

Honestly, that's a great assessment. I thought the refs struggled this weekend. The linesmen were brutal, too. Honestly, after the SCSU vs. Minnesota game, how does Stern still have a job? We have the best conference in college hockey, but our officials could be a lot better. I find myself wishing the Shepherds were still officiating. 

• Upvote 1