SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ St. Cloud State -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

26 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

Jandric’s spear to Broadzinski’s nut sack brings up a frightening memory involving Quiet Riot…

A buddy and I went to see Quiet Riot, Ratt, Warrant, and Firehouse at the Grizzly Rose about twenty years ago and we were in the front row until…..QR came out and Kevin Dubrow was wearing these tight shear electric blue velvet pants and standing there with his foot up on a riser with little left to the imagination. Needless to say, we made a bee line for the back of the room. Still have nightmares about that! 

I saw Ratt at Monsters of Rock in Stuttgart, Germany. Great Band. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I have seen hundreds of bands over the last 35-40 years at all kinds of venues and to this day Quiet Riot is the worst band I have every seen live. They played at the ND State Fair and were literally booed off the stage.  I rank them a little behind the performance of Buck Nekkid who played at the Oakes, ND Street Dance.

Juice Newton at ND State Fair was a disastrous opening for Heuy Lewis and the News in the mid 80s. She was booed from start til finish.

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Juice Newton at ND State Fair was a disastrous opening for Heuy Lewis and the News in the mid 80s. She was booed from start til finish.

Did you say Juice Newton?:p  Did she forget to play Queen of Hearts?

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I didn’t see the “Michigan lacrosse goal” but it happened when the game was in hand. Could being embarrassed like that serve as any kind of motivation to come out and play good, hard game tonight? 

You would certainly hope so

40 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

My dad still talks about that concert. Sounds like it got a little overcrowded.

27 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I didn’t see the “Michigan lacrosse goal” but it happened when the game was in hand. Could being embarrassed like that serve as any kind of motivation to come out and play good, hard game tonight? 

Here you go...great goal, wrong team.

4 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Never played competitive hockey. Wondering if something like spearing and checking from behind into the boards is a conscious decision or a reflex action. More broadly, are almost all penalties preventable?

Hockey is an emotional game.  Sometimes things are intentional and sometimes they are reflex.  

Running someone from behind is most often a result of playing hard and either not being 100% in control as you go to finish your check or the other player turning trying to evade at the last minute.  Very, very rarely do you see someone run a guy from behind on purpose. 

Spearing on the other hand shows some intent and is a dirty penalty.

Almost every minor penalty is the result of either playing hard and going a little over the line or else getting beat, caught out of position, or laziness (think stick infractions like a hook or a trip).  

you expect a couple penalties on your team every game from hard play- a stick slash, maybe some roughing, maybe a little interference.  You want tough physical play that pushes the boundaries- so you expect a couple times to go a little over.  You don’t like cheap/dirty  penalties or lazy penalties.

• Upvote 3

I think Berry is a decent coach. As long as he has strong senior leadership on the team to keep things in check and discipline the players when necessary. I think Berry is great at motivating the players when everything is clicking, but struggles either figuring out what part of the team chemistry is out of whack, or simply not being able to change it.

Hakstol, on the other hand was great with the discipline, and could prepare a team for late season play, but just couldn't motivate the players to finish the season.

At least that's my 2 cents worth.

I've watched Sioux hockey for many years (from back in early 1960's.  I don't remember ever seeing a UND player spear someone.  It's definitely a cheap and dangerous thing to do.  It's not representative of what Sioux hockey is about.  I don't really care if #7 ever plays another game for UND.

Brad has to reel in the players or they'll find themselves getting little benefit of the doubt from officials on any close calls.

Let's face it, this team is a lot thinner on top end offensive talent than recent years' teams.  They also need better goal tending and should be looking to add somebody at semester time.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

I've watched Sioux hockey for many years (from back in early 1960's.  I don't remember ever seeing a UND player spear someone.  It's definitely a cheap and dangerous thing to do.  It's not representative of what Sioux hockey is about.  I don't really care if #7 ever plays another game for UND.

Brad has to reel in the players or they'll find themselves getting little benefit of the doubt from officials on any close calls.

Let's face it, this team is a lot thinner on top end offensive talent than recent years' teams.  They also need better goal tending and should be looking to add somebody at semester time.

Are you suggesting we add a 5th goalie at semester break? Or did I read this wrong? 

3 minutes ago, Old Barn Guy at Home said:

Prpich speared Paukovich.  And he deserved it.

• Upvote 1