SiouxSports.com Forum

Illinois State @ UND 11/13/21

sioux24/7

16 minutes ago, wheelsup said:

turnovers.. yowza.. takes two TD's off the board.

Yes, the Maag fumble really bothered me. Same deal as an earlier game when he was unnecessarily fighting for yards inside the 10 yard line.  I feel like the Belquist(?) one was offset by the miraculous catch by Boltman that actually did set up a touchdown. 

Likely field

SHSU

Montana

Montana State

Sacramento St.

EWU

UC Davis

Kennesaw

Monmouth

Villanova

JMU

NDSU

SDSU

USD

Missouri State

SIU

Sacred Heart

UT Martin

Holy Cross

Davidson

ETSU

Incarnate Word

SELU

22 Spots are essentially locked in.

We would need a very convincing win at SDSU and SFA, EKU, Weber State, William & Mary, Rhode Island, UNI, Chattanooga, VMI to all lose and I think a couple of them play each other and even these teams losing would only make us part of the conversation but wouldn't be enough.

If we beat sdsu they are squarely on the bubble.  Or should be.  Also Tommy was solid today.  Gutsy... guy stood there and took how many hits today without flinching?  The placement on his throws today was perfect.  Haters gonna hate anyway though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

If we beat sdsu they are squarely on the bubble.  Or should be.  Also Tommy was solid today.  Gutsy... guy stood there and took how many hits today without flinching?  The placement on his throws today was perfect.  Haters gonna hate anyway though.

Agree that they should be on the bubble if we beat them as they will only have six DI wins.  They do do have an FBS win but would also be on a two games losing streak and we’d be on a three game winning streak.  Don’t know enough about the resumes of the other bubble teams mentioned.  But beating SDSU could at the very least, knock them out and at least get us in the conversation. 

Tommy's game yesterday was great. He made some pretty good throws on plays where he had to find a second or third read. He also made a great touchdown pass where he took a big shot. And isn't it nice to have a quarterback that can complete the swing pass?  Also nice to have Boltman back!

10 hours ago, wheelsup said:

It was an entertaining and yet frustrating game to watch today.  We missed most of the first half due to EDC VB and made it just in time to watch our kicker doink it off the upright to close out the half.  Im not one to blame all of the missed kicks by a backup kicker on Kostich but a more accurate kicker would have won at least one more game for us this year and there are multiple times where we didnt attempt a FG where we probably should have.  

For me some of the head scratchers

• Tommy's inability to run.. early in the 3rd quarter he could have easily run for 10-20 yards and instead threw a ball into double coverage.  Later that 3rd down run.. should have been an easy first down.. but that half slide came up short.  He just doesnt look like a natural runner... if he was the offense would be a lot more dangerous.
  • punts from the opponents 35 yd line.. Im sorry.. I dont get those.
  • turnovers.. yowza.. takes two TD's off the board.
  • Lack of targeting Maag and Zalvaney.. seems like two significant size mismatches.
  • The o-line did not look great today.. probably had something to do with Waletzko being out of there..

Entertaining parts

• How about that defense.. I know the redbirds arent exactly good on offense.. but except for that one long play for a TD they could not move the ball.  We have some very good young players and have been developing some depth.  We have had significant defensive injuries this year and still are fielding a very competitive defense.  I love watching #44 out there.. glad he is coming back.  His family sits in our section and they are the most active cheerleaders in the stands. 
  • Tommy was throwing a nice ball out there today.. although the brockstar bailed him out on that catch into double coverage.
  • The brockstar is looking good.
  • Otis.. Otis.. Otis.. Man, his last big run when he dragged that poor little d-back about 15 yards.. He also had a big catch and run.  Our RB room is deep but it sure is fun to watch Otis.  Im looking forward to watching "the Gavel" (credit Jack) Gavin Ziebarth over the upcoming years as well.
  • If we are going to keep going with the dual QB approach.. I want to see more of the Quincy package around the endzone.  The apposing team clearly focuses on him running the ball (hello QB as a running threat) and it leads to wide open receivers that can adjust even on a significantly underthrown ball.

This team has clearly not quit this year.. so hopefully all of the bozos that were predicting that they would fold and quit after the losses shuts up.  They are clearly still playing with pride and energy.  The biggest frustration I have with this team this year is unmet expectations.  They are close.. I dont see a path to the playoffs even if they win next week and so this is a woulda coulda shoulda type year.  Of their 5 losses 4 were very winnable

All good points. Team is 0.500, so definitely some good things to brag about, but overall 0.500 should not be the expectation at UND and this squad failed. Bubba, his coaches, and the players need to do better in 2022. 

6 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

Tommy's game yesterday was great. He made some pretty good throws on plays where he had to find a second or third read. He also made a great touchdown pass where he took a big shot. And isn't it nice to have a quarterback that can complete the swing pass?  Also nice to have Boltman back!

Failed third down run (slid too early). Then again 3rd down in early 3rd quarter where he could run for first down but instead threw into double coverage and UND punted from 35 yard line as result. Several throws into double coverage, which at least once worked with Boltmann catching it inside the 5, but not the norm. 

Would NOT say he had a “great” game, but was solid. Did enough for UND to win. 

15 minutes ago, Sioux95 said:

Tommy did play well and we struggled to score 14 points.  This team has struggled to score all season.  Much of yesterdays game was tough to watch when it came to our offense.  I give some credit to ISU, but it’s been this way much of the season.  
This team has much better personnel than the record shows.  

3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Failed third down run (slid too early). Then again 3rd down in early 3rd quarter where he could run for first down but instead threw into double coverage and UND punted from 35 yard line as result. Several throws into double coverage, which at least once worked with Boltmann catching it inside the 5, but not the norm. 

Would NOT say he had a “great” game, but was solid. Did enough for UND to win. 

Is it Tommy's fault our receivers fumbled right in front of the end zone twice?   It's not his fault our receivers can't get open down field.  

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Is it Tommy's fault our receivers fumbled right in front of the end zone twice?   It's not his fault our receivers can't get open down field.  

No, of course those things aren’t his fault. But stop splitting, this isn’t just a pass/fail grade. He’s got things to improve on; he’s not playing anywhere near Carson Wentz, Trey Lance, Easton Stick or even Brock Jensen-level. Recent NDSU championship QBs are the barometer. 

I don't know how are chances are to being selected to the playoffs but i have to think if we do beat SDSU they have to be not considered for the playoffs or am i missing something. They would have 4 and 4 conference record ending the season on two game loosing streak and would have 3 of their 4 conference losses at home.  Also they there second half of season would have record of 2-3 not team showing improvement but declining as the season is going along. I see where most feel they are shoe in for the playoffs but i believe they have to be on bubble and will get in because of Missouri Valley conference and politics of the conference. That is why see our chances of getting in small being the new school to the conference and because of our record. I have feeling we will be lucky to get team to semifinals this year out the Missouri Valley i just don't see any of teams that don't have some weakness in make up their teams not like in past years where NDSU and other top schools in conference were in top five  schools in FCS. I may all be wrong on this but UND making the playoffs i got to believe are slim at best especially when looking at latest rankings see we weren't even receiving any votes for the top 25. 

19 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

I don't know how are chances are to being selected to the playoffs but i have to think if we do beat SDSU they have to be not considered for the playoffs or am i missing something. They would have 4 and 4 conference record ending the season on two game loosing streak and would have 3 of their 4 conference losses at home.  Also they there second half of season would have record of 2-3 not team showing improvement but declining as the season is going along. I see where most feel they are shoe in for the playoffs but i believe they have to be on bubble and will get in because of Missouri Valley conference and politics of the conference. That is why see our chances of getting in small being the new school to the conference and because of our record. I have feeling we will be lucky to get team to semifinals this year out the Missouri Valley i just don't see any of teams that don't have some weakness in make up their teams not like in past years where NDSU and other top schools in conference were in top five  schools in FCS. I may all be wrong on this but UND making the playoffs i got to believe are slim at best especially when looking at latest rankings see we weren't even receiving any votes for the top 25. 

Blowing out a Mountain West team and handing the likely conference champion their only regular season loss…those games count for something.  

• Upvote 1

I just don’t see us making the playoffs, but would be happy to be wrong. A win next weekend will not do it, a win with a UNI loss ... we would have to see what else happens around the country and would need a ton of help.

I don’t see W Illinois beating a UNI team who is also trying to find a way to sneak in. At 6-5 UNI would absolutely get the nod before UND.

Beating SDSU would basically give us 1 good win on the season.

3 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

No doubt we are outside looking in. We messed up too many times.

Lots of what ifs

so close and yet so far

we made our bed and all we can do is find a way to beat the bunnies - and they are beatable 

hopefully we get some players back for that game

You are correct. Bunnies are absolutely good, but absolutely beatable. Depends which UND team shows up, hopefully not the offense from this past weekend.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

No, of course those things aren’t his fault. But stop splitting, this isn’t just a pass/fail grade. He’s got things to improve on; he’s not playing anywhere near Carson Wentz, Trey Lance, Easton Stick or even Brock Jensen-level. Recent NDSU championship QBs are the barometer. 

OK bud.  

• Upvote 1