SiouxSports.com Forum

Illinois State @ UND 11/13/21

sioux24/7

2 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I had the same thought.  Tommy's only real long pass of game Saturday (over 20 yards in air) should have been picked and would have been picked if not for Boltmann making a spectacular play.  If we had a burner or two, i think we would all be even more frustrated with the UND offense.

He threw a perfect ball.  NOT HIS FAULT GUYS CANT GET OPEN... Our receivers are never "open" except for blown coverage or short bubble screens.  Changing the QB won't fix that.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

He threw a perfect ball.  NOT HIS FAULT GUYS CANT GET OPEN... Our receivers are never "open" except for blown coverage or short bubble screens.  Changing the QB won't fix that.   

Do you remember the ISU TD pass?  Was he open because he was a burner and just had that knack for getting open?   The offense stinks this fall, my hope is it is Danny compensating for personnel issues and not just the way it will be.

In the MVFC our scoring offense is ranked higher than Illinois State and Indiana State and behind WIU, UNI and YSU.  IMO that qualifies as just plain BAD OFFENSE.

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/Valley Football Stats Conf.pdf?path=football

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

From a personnel standpoint, this is likely the best UND team ever and it will finish 5-6 or 6-5.   

Seems a bit of a stretch.  It could be, but that's a little like comparing Vikings teams of the last 20 years.

29 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Cue the Monday morning Tommy slander. 

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people wanting us to get better/more dynamic at the QB position, whether it’s Tommy getting better or turning to one of the backups. The school down south benched their QB and he was undefeated at the FCS level. Oklahoma benched the preseason heisman favorite and some peoples #1 QB prospect in the draft. Nothing wrong with people wanting to see what our backups can do, especially when our offense hasn’t necessarily lit the FCS on fire this year

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Devils said:

Seems a bit of a stretch.  It could be, but that's a little like comparing Vikings teams of the last 20 years.

I was basing it on the 5-5 record, the close losses, and the missed games with injuries by starters or significant contributors.  IMO its not that much of a stretch for this team to be 9-1 instead of 5-5. 

2017 was not that long ago, and that was a disaster because of lack of depth.

7 minutes ago, Devils said:

The 2006 team would give this team trouble. As would the 2016 and 2015 teams. The 2011 could stuff the hell out of the run. Could this years team lass enough on them to win an ugly game? Hell, the 2012 team might even clip this years team if they were on that day. 

6 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with people wanting us to get better/more dynamic at the QB position, whether it’s Tommy getting better or turning to one of the backups. The school down south benched their QB and he was undefeated at the FCS level. Oklahoma benched the preseason heisman favorite and some peoples #1 QB prospect in the draft. Nothing wrong with people wanting to see what our backups can do, especially when our offense hasn’t necessarily lit the FCS on fire this year

Changing qbs isn't going to all of sudden have our receivers beating defensive backs over the top or our offensive line playing worth a !@#$. The offense has been bad and Tommy isn't the reason.

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

Changing qbs isn't going to all of sudden have our receivers beating defensive backs over the top or our offensive line playing worth a !@#$. The offense has been bad and Tommy isn't the reason.

After 7 MVFC games we are third in yards per carry and 10th in rushing attempts.

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

They are literally not one of the top teams in the country.  Have you watched them play all year - their own fans know they are not even close to as good as people think they are.  They were better in the spring and got up for NDSU at home, just like we did. 

Have you seen their Sagarin rating? 69

SDSU f…….s

they look better than the bottom half of the top 25! FCS is a soft PUD league

5 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

That could be it. But we did bring in Q to throw a Hail Mary from the 40 yard line the other week. Coaches obviously think there’s some limitations there. O well, let’s just beat SDSU 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

For what it's worth (and to the eyes of the FCS committee it's not worth much), Massey has UND at 14. 

UND's FCS losses? To #1, #11, #6, and #4. 

Beating #2 (SDSU) is a must however. Control what's yours to control.

Beyond that ... it's no longer in your control. 

Since when is Massey and Sagarin ratings not a worthy ranking system? The team to the south uses it all the time to justify how good their team is so if it is good enough for them then it’s good enough for me!

UND is 119 in the Sagarin above many teams in the FCS poll

9 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

That could be it. But we did bring in Q to throw a Hail Mary from the 40 yard line the other week. Coaches obviously think there’s some limitations there. O well, let’s just beat SDSU 

I don't think anybody has ever argued that Tommy has a stronger arm than Quincy. I also watched Quincy throw a 3 yard pass for a touchdown this week where Z had to adjust and make a really good catch cause the throw was terrible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

So in your opinion, the offensive line has been really good, we're running the ball however we want, and Tommy is the biggest problem? Yikes dude. 

We are 3rd in YPC and lead the MVFC in fewest sacks given up.  Not sure how that equates to the offensive line being the biggest problem.  Not saying it is great, but it is NOT the biggest problem.  UND offense would be fairly easy to defend.  Stop the run and short game and make Tommy beat you deep or with his legs.  He can't(some of it IS the receiving corps) and he won't run. 

Like I said earlier we have outscored Illinois State and Indiana State but NOT UNI, WIU or YSU.

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

We are 3rd in YPC and lead the MVFC in fewest sacks given up.  Not sure how that equates to the offensive line being the biggest problem.  Not saying it is great, but it is NOT the biggest problem.  UND offense would be fairly easy to defend.  Stop the run and short game and make Tommy beat you deep or with his legs.  He can't(some of it IS the receiving corps) and he won't run. 

Like I said earlier we have outscored Illinois State and Indiana State but NOT UNI, WIU or YSU.

So do you think the coaches are leaving Tommy in to intentionally lose games or are they just not quite the expert football mind that you are? 

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

From a personnel standpoint, this is likely the best UND team ever and it will finish 5-6 or 6-5. 

How is this the best offensive personnel that we have seen? Good athletes but definitely not elite. 

We may have one of the best defenses ever this year I will agree. As for special teams this has to be an below average squad.

Not sure I can take your posts seriously anymore if you really think is is one of the most talented UND squads ever……

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

How is this the best offensive personnel that we have seen? Good athletes but definitely not elite. 

We may have one of the best defenses ever this year I will agree. As for special teams this has to be an below average squad.

Not sure I can take your posts seriously anymore if you really think is is one of the most talented UND squads ever……

Like I said, much of my post centered on the defense, the depth and Otis and Waletzko.  Lots of games have been missed this season by the first week starters and the team has shown lots of depth.  Have the total games lost to injury been that different than 2017?  I'm not sure, just seems like we have had a ton of injuries this season too.  

Missed games this season:

Canady, Haas, Johnson, Morrison, Navratil, Galvin, Siegel, Weah, Skokna, Smith, Lavell, Preston, Maag

Missed most of Illinois State: Waletzko and Larson

That's a long list of starters, some have been one game or less than one game, some have been almost all season.

The big personnel holes are at WR(speed) OL and kicker.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I was basing it on the 5-5 record, the close losses, and the missed games with injuries by starters or significant contributors.  IMO its not that much of a stretch for this team to be 9-1 instead of 5-5. 

2017 was not that long ago, and that was a disaster because of lack of depth.

So if it could be argued that we may have one of the best teams in our DI Era, is Chaves really going to can that whole staff (which some would like to have happen) that assembled that team?   No, that's not going to happen.  A couple of those losses are squarely on the coaches for bad decisions, I agree.  But two fumbles, and then 0-4 in FG's with our back up kicker is hard to blame entirely on the staff.  

They aren't going to buy out Bubba's contract IMO.  We have him for two more years, then I hope he decides to step aside.  It could very well be between Danny and Holinka then, not sure which of those two would make a better head coach. We will have two more years to see how they do.  Would be nice to keep Holinka calling plays on defense though, and Danny's mindset of having an open offense for whoever the new OC would be wouldn't be bad.  We have a lot of good young players, I'd rather not clean house right now.