SiouxSports.com Forum

Illinois State @ UND 11/13/21

sioux24/7

21 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I just feel like this was a window to make the leap.  Otis, Waletzko and the defense.  Otis is currently engaged, but that could change at any moment.  Waletzko will be difficult to replace and lots of defenders(Canady, Shannon, Sequin, Holm, Turner, Haas, Galvin, and maybe Larson and Morrison.  Not sure on the last two.) to replace.  The good thing is Bubba and co have done a good job recruiting and the base and depth of the team is much better than it was after the 2016 season. 

We need to figure out how to consistently recruit the safety and DL positions. If we do that we will always have an elite defense.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

We need to figure out how to consistently recruit the safety and DL positions. If we do that we will always have an elite defense.

Well, I for one would hope the linebackers stay good as well. I mean, if you recruit all positions well on defense, you end up with a good defense…

Eureka!

7 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Against teams with equal or better personnel, the offensive line will not be good enough to compensate for a QB who won't run and struggles throwing deep.  You guys will destroy me for it, but a DC will find game planning vs Q(or any QB who can/will run), even if he struggles throwing sometimes, more difficult than for Tommy.  There is a reason Danny had Q throw the game winner vs ISU and not Tommy. 

As for the spring season, the offense was clearly struggling towards the end of the season when playing teams with equal or better personnel.  

What would you classify as a deep ball, in yards?  Can you cite some examples of Tommy screwing up deep throws?

14 hours ago, nodak651 said:

What would you classify as a deep ball, in yards?  Can you cite some examples of Tommy screwing up deep throws?

I would say any throw which travels over 25 yards from the LOS.  In all actuality he has not thrown many at all this season.  I think last Saturday he attempted 2, but I will rewatch to confirm that.  One to Boltmann and one to Richter.

29 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

I would say any throw which travels over 25 yards from the LOS.  

Any?

For your consideration ... 

If anything I'd say Tommy lacks accuracy on the deep post. He hits out routes very well (and outs are always longer than you think, Pythagorean geometry). 

23 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Any?

For your consideration ... 

If anything I'd say Tommy lacks accuracy on the deep post. He hits out routes very well (and outs are always longer than you think, Pythagorean geometry). 

When I use the term "deep throw", I'm using it in the context of stretching the defense vertically.  YOu are correct cross field throws can be very long throws in distance, but are not about stretching the defense.  If Tommy makes a throw 25 yards downfield from LOS today, let me know how you think it went.

8 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

When I use the term "deep throw", I'm using it in the context of stretching the defense vertically.  YOu are correct cross field throws can be very long throws in distance, but are not about stretching the defense.  If Tommy makes a throw 25 yards downfield from LOS today, let me know how you think it went.

So Tommy has trouble with separation from the defender.  I get it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

So Tommy has trouble with separation from the defender.  I get it.

Wasn't the point.  Don't forget Danny brings Q in to throw Hail Mary's AND to throw the winning TD last week at the end of the game, yet you still lie to your self and pretend opposing DC are somehow threatened with Tommy's dynamic abilities to throw bubble screens and 4 yard crossing patterns.  

If we score 4 offensive TD's in Brookings today we very, very likely win, Vegas thinks are chances are very, very slim.  Football is not rocket science.

We need burners like this Dennis kid to take the top off who just committed. Your right we don’t get great separation. Give Illinois state credit, they played a really good defensive game against us in the secondary.  Say what you will about Muss but the one thing he did well, or his staff,  was recruiting WR. Greg Hardin, Kenny Golladay, Jameer Jackson were,  arguably for sure, the best WR  group we ever had. I think talent wise we are deeper now than ever. We have 5-6 really good guys. We need at least 1 who can dominate over the top though to take more pressure off the middle of the field.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Wasn't the point.  Don't forget Danny brings Q in to throw Hail Mary's AND to throw the winning TD last week at the end of the game, yet you still lie to your self and pretend opposing DC are somehow threatened with Tommy's dynamic abilities to throw bubble screens and 4 yard crossing patterns.  

If we score 4 offensive TD's in Brookings today we very, very likely win, Vegas thinks are chances are very, very slim.  Football is not rocket science.

Deflection.  You first stated Tommy can throw a deep.  Sic points out he throw 25 yds quite often to the sidelines.  You say it doesn't count has to be downfield.  So please you I hinted it is because of separation and added it has to be Tommy's fault to fit your narrative.  I like mentioned before in your mind the sun came up today so it is Tommy's fault.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Parkers Pros said:

We need burners like this Dennis kid to take the top off who just committed. Your right we don’t get great separation. Give Illinois state credit, they played a really good defensive game against us in the secondary.  Say what you will about Muss but the one thing he did well, or his staff,  was recruiting WR. Greg Hardin, Kenny Golladay, Jameer Jackson were,  arguably for sure, the best WR  group we ever had. I think talent wise we are deeper now than ever. We have 5-6 really good guys. We need at least 1 who can dominate over the top though to take more pressure off the middle of the field.

Just think if Muss would have recruited CB's like he did receivers.

57 minutes ago, Nodak78 said:

Deflection.  You first stated Tommy can throw a deep.  Sic points out he throw 25 yds quite often to the sidelines.  You say it doesn't count has to be downfield.  So please you I hinted it is because of separation and added it has to be Tommy's fault to fit your narrative.  I like mentioned before in your mind the sun came up today so it is Tommy's fault.

Watch today's game and if Danny has him throw a deep ball, watch the velocity or lack of, and compare it to other QB's.  

44 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

The time it takes from the qb to the receiver does matter   - arm strength is what I call it

Yep, Tommy also needs to put lots of loft to get it downfield, like the toss to Boltmann last week.  Gave other DB time to get over the top, if not for a great play by #4 it would have  been picked off.