SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy

gfhockey

15 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

It was either Lucia or Gwoz that once said it is harder to win the regular season title and conference tournament championship than the NCAA title. 

So if it is why do we have so many connys snd not many nattys

31 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

It was either Lucia or Gwoz that once said it is harder to win the regular season title and conference tournament championship than the NCAA title. 

I've heard this before.  I don't agree that that is is harder to win the Regular Season title as 6 teams do it every years.  What i believe without is if there are 2 team from the same conference 1 wins the NCAA title and that other the Conference title the better team is the Conference title champion.  You need to be good all year to do that.  

To me UND is still the best team in the country this year.  Best team in the best conference.

• Upvote 3

With all the talk of Sandy built the program/don't judge his record before Amsoil, let's compare recruiting between the two programs:

Arena: Ralph doesn't lose to any other college arenas. On campus, incredible facility, rowdy and full. Not what it was for atmosphere, but blame that on cell phones.

Amsoil is nice, but it's not on campus and always seems half full since empty chairs are bright yellow. Student section behind the net is the closest it has to a leg up on the Ralph.

City: Duluth is an iconic Midwestern destination, currently being revitalized after industrial decay. Hills, rivers and the lake afford outdoor recreation opportunities that rival the western US.....for four or five months out of the year when it's not too cold. Economy isn't great, but tourism is booming as kids want the perfect pic for social media endorphins and the region is very photogenic. Lots of local hockey players; usually a half dozen on their roster are local.

Grand Forks is a college town, with better restaurants and culture than towns of its size without a flagship, but recreation is lacking and the rendering scent is off-putting. Economy is good, and town came back in a hurry after a natural disaster 25 years ago. Local talent that mostly attends UND is another plus.

Campus: Duluth having tunnels to not require students to go outside is a lifesaver, albeit psychologically jarring after not stepping outside for over a week. Students come from all over MN, WI, and Dakotas. Lots from the cities, which is attractive to recruits from there to play in front of friends. Hockey is king, but off campus hurts. Another campus within walking distance is fun, but amenities nearby are surprisingly scarce.

UND's campus could use more tunnels to shield against wind. Students are mostly from surrounding states, unless pilots. Greek is a big deal, which can be a positive or negative depending on your perspective. Nightlife is downtown, which is luckily a short cab ride. Hockey is also king, but other sports are D1 and worth a gander, unlike Duluth.

Logo: when Sioux logo was gone, my opinion was Duluth now has the best logo in college hockey. Prov, NMU, UAF and ASU round out my top five. I hate Duluth as a team, but their jerseys look good.

Fighting Hawks is a stupid name, clinging on rather than making a clean break is a mistake. Transition was bungled, not to mention the refusal to vote for permission on the reservation. Embarrassing saga for all involved.

Program: Don't care to learn about Duluth's history. Recent success helps. Seemingly last bastion of blue collar hockey in NCAAs.

UND has a tradition of excellence to which other schools aspire. More upscale than we'd care to admit, and the rough and tumble has gone the way of the dodo.

Fanbase: annoying fans on social media aside, Duluth is hard to gauge these days with the bandwagon being so full. Some knowledge and passion exist; let's see what happens when they miss the tournament again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

UND's fanbase is massive (by NCAA hockey standards), passionate and demanding. Travels well and dominates comments sections on the internet. Stereotypes exist, but too big to pigeon hole. Players comment on how incredible and intense the fanbase is, and seem genuine when doing so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Gino used to say that all the time, and he won National Championships, so it wasn't him trying to elevate his league championships because he hadn't won "The Big One". 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

It is all

about nattys

Sandy has more then hak and berry COMBINED!

So what is your solution? Fire Berry

Nobody here is happy about us losing in a 5 OT game. give Berry 20+ years and I bet he out performs this. Also, the reality is that more often than not the best team doesn;t win it all and that's just the way it is.

1 minute ago, UNDColorado said:

So what is your solution? Fire Berry

Nobody here is happy about us losing in a 5 OT game. give Berry 20+ years and I bet he out performs this. Also, the reality is that more often than not the best team doesn;t win it all and that's just the way it is.

This seems to ring more true for NCAA Men's Hockey than any other collegiate team sport men or women.  Even the College World Series is more predicable for god's sake.  

I don't buy the narratives that NCAA championships are easier to get than conference championships (regular or tournament) or that the best teams don't win the NCAA championship.  First of all, you've got to put together a regular season resume worthy of being selected. Then once selected, you've got to win 4 consecutive games against the nation's best competition, with little room for error.  Coaches also have to game plan for a new opponent every game, which is different from the 2-games series of the regular season.  Yes, a hot team at the end of the season can run the table, but isn't that the point of playing the whole season...to work out all the kinks and play your best at the end of the year?

22 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Did I once say fire berry? 

You imply it after each non-natty season when you dedicate yet another thread to your lover, Sandy, and asking what it would take to get him here. By the way, SiouxSports keep a history of user posts/topics. You’ve made quite a few threads about Sandelin. He might want to consider a restraining order.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Yeah.  On second thought Berry should probably be fired for that 5OT loss against a team that didn't have to play the night before.   

Your actually saying berry should be fired?

see he the fire berry crowd

i am just like Katie I keefe and ask the TOUGH QUESTIONS

40 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

didn't win the game that mattered though

Every game he won until the Conference Championship was won mattered.  Every game he won in Conference Tourney mattered.  Frozen Four appearances matter very little if you don't finish the job.

NCAA championship>Conference Reg Season Championships>Conf. Tourney Champs>Frozen Four App

24 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Your actually saying berry should be fired?

see he the fire berry crowd

i am just like Katie I keefe and ask the TOUGH QUESTIONS

@gfhockeyYou are a worm that implies he should be fired. You are worse than the people who explicitly say fire Berry. Just simple truths for you.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

If the NCAA tournament transitioned to a "best of" series, instead of one-and-done format, I'd say it would better represent the best that year. 

The rink, a bad section of glass, can determine the National Champion in a one-and-done. 

I definitely agree that it should be a best of 3 for the semis and championship. Don’t know about the regionals though. It would taken too long. How about this... realignment into 8 leagues and only league champions or tournament winners in?

15 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

NCAAs are very much cyclical. UND is the only school to win titles in 6 decades, a remarkable model of consistency.  Since our first title, the longest drought we have ever had is 17 years. UND has also won its 8 titles with 5 different coaches, so the program has shown the ability to sustain under different leadership.

Other big programs

Michigan

Most titles (9), but majority are ancient.  Program was stuck on 7 for 32 years, then returned to take 2 of 3, and is now in 23 year drought. 

Denver

Among its 8 titles are multiple repeats, the one accomplishment UND lacks. Team of the 60s with four titles, but then a 35 year drought where Program also rarely challenged in the WCHA

Wisconsin

Big game hunters with 6 NCAAs, but stunningly only picked up 3 McNaughton Cups. Went 16 years between titles 5 and 6 and now in identical drought. 

Minnesota 

Wins NCAAs in clusters with a a repeat and 3 in 6 under Herb Brooks on their ledger.  Went 26 years before first title, a 23 year drought between 3 and 4 and now at 18 and counting. 

Boston U

Along with their city rivals, the kings of the East. Took 24 years to win first of 5 titles. After leading the 70s with 3 wins, took 17 years to get title 4, 14 more to get title 5, and now 12 and counting. Have also made only 2 Frozen Four appearances since 1997.

Boston College

Won second ever NCAA tournament in 1949. Heard Ranger style chants of "1949" from opposing fans for more than a half century until finally grabbing title number 2 on an ill-fated night in Albany.  Then grabbed 3 titles in 5 years from 2008 to 2012. Now nearly a decade removed from a title. 

Building and sustaining a program is what you want as a fan.  No one really comes close to North Dakota in that regard. Another NCAA title will happen, it's when not if. But if you can't also enjoy the Penroses and Frozen Face-offs  what's the point.

This is the best damn thing I've read on this site in a long time. I believe the word is perspective.

• Upvote 2