SiouxSports.com Forum

Sandy

gfhockey

On 4/9/2021 at 10:50 AM, Siouxphan27 said:

Yeah.  On second thought Berry should probably be fired for that 5OT loss against a team that didn't have to play the night before.   

I am not saying Berry should get fired. I think he and his staff are doing an okay job but the honeymoon phase is over for him and lets look at what he's done since he won his natty. 
1. 2016/2017 - lost in the 1st round of the national tournament in Fargo

2. 2017/2018 - Failed to make the NCAA Tournament

3. 2018/2019 - Failed to make the NCAA Tournament

4 - 2019/2020 - Covid

5. 2020/2021 - Lost in the Regional Final.

I am sick of hearing that excuse that UMD got the bye and that is why they won. That is not the reason they lost, UND had every opportunity to win but didn't score for close to a 100 minutes of hockey, that does not cut it when it comes time to the tournament. No one gave Hak a pass and Berry is not going to get one either.

29 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

I am not saying Berry should get fired. I think he and his staff are doing an okay job but the honeymoon phase is over for him and lets look at what he's done since he won his natty. 

4 - 2019/2020 - Covid

I am sick of hearing that excuse that UMD got the bye and that is why they won. That is not the reason they lost, UND had every opportunity to win but didn't score for close to a 100 minutes of hockey, that does not cut it when it comes time to the tournament. No one gave Hak a pass and Berry is not going to get one either.

Yeah, fatigue couldn't have been a factor, considering the goalie that only played in that game couldn't make it through the game.   When you are needing IV's in between overtime periods, I think fatigue might be a factor.   

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, fatigue couldn't have been a factor, considering the goalie that only played in that game couldn't make it through the game.   When you are needing IV's in between overtime periods, I think fatigue might be a factor.   

you're using OT as an excuse for not scoring in the first 58 min, they were not fatigued then.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Und was the BEST team in college hockey for the last 48+ months...

Lost a 5OT game....

Hes fine. Next year will be a big test for the coaches.

How can you say that UND was the best team in college hockey the past 4 years when I just laid it out the last 4 years? They don't even come close to being the best team in the last 4 years.

I never said Berry should get fired but he needs to find out what worked when he won it in 2016, when they could score at will. With tournaments being 1 and done, you need to bring your A game every night (no matter the circumstances) and the past 4 years UND hasn't brought their A game every night. 

45 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I understand what you’re saying but if you base successful years solely on post season you won’t find a coach that will stick around per those standards. Penrose and Faceoff titles have to account for something here in the last two years. 

I'm not saying Berry is a terrible coach by any means and yes regular and postseason titles do count for something but they have to figure it out. 

27 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

How can you say that UND was the best team in college hockey the past 4 years when I just laid it out the last 4 years? They don't even come close to being the best team in the last 4 years.

I never said Berry should get fired but he needs to find out what worked when he won it in 2016, when they could score at will. With tournaments being 1 and done, you need to bring your A game every night (no matter the circumstances) and the past 4 years UND hasn't brought their A game every night. 

He said they were the best team for the last 2 years

59 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

31 minutes ago, franchise said:

He said they were the best team for the last 2 years

I think there was math confusion. He probably meant 24 months, not 48. 

3 hours ago, siouxkid12 said:

4 - 2019/2020 - Covid

Well, you got your wish, a lot of the guys that didn't score aren't coming back, so I suppose you are very happy now that Pinto, Kawaguchi, Adams, Mismash, JBD, Kiersted are gone because they just couldn't cut it in the tournament.  

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Well, you got your wish, a lot of the guys that didn't score aren't coming back, so I suppose you are very happy now that Pinto, Kawaguchi, Adams, Mismash, JBD, Kiersted are gone because they just couldn't cut it in the tournament.  

Never did I wish they would leave. However, it was going to be a given that Kawaguchi, adams, kiersted and mismash were going to leave because they were seniors. Pinto is a 32nd overall pick, he wasn't going to stay (especially since they tried to get him to leave last year).

7 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

Never did I wish they would leave. However, it was going to be a given that Kawaguchi, adams, kiersted and mismash were going to leave because they were seniors. Pinto is a 32nd overall pick, he wasn't going to stay (especially since they tried to get him to leave last year).

They played well enough to win by the way they controlled the play, but ultimately it is up to the players to snipe to score goals, so if you say 100 minutes to score doesn't cut it, you are putting the onus on those that had the ability to change that.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2021 at 10:50 AM, Siouxphan27 said:

Yeah.  On second thought Berry should probably be fired for that 5OT loss against a team that didn't have to play the night before.   

I am assuming that you are being sarcastic in this comment, right?  Berry is doing a great job and people that are not actively involved with coaching the program can sure have their own opinions, but they really don't matter to the team or staff.

• Upvote 2