SiouxSports.com Forum

The NCAA's. UND vs. AIC.

Wilbur

Read about what went into Eric Lang picking Stefano Durante. We have been covering underdog stories around college hockey, and saw the teams AIC had to beat to make this tournament. We will have more on AIC here, UND will be favored, and they are facing a good team. 

https://seamoresports.com/2021/03/20/aic-wins-aha-conference-tournament-championship-after-facing-a-tough-canisius-opponent-now-what/

Has anyone seen AIC play this year?
Looking at their schedule, they've only played one NCAA tourney team this season, Quinnipiac.  They lost both games to QU.
Their only other loss was to Army in OT.
Their schedule is definitely weak, but they did take care of business and only lost 3 times all season.
Hopefully the boys jump on them quick and don't let them hang around like SCSU did in 2019.

7 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Hopefully the boys jump on them quick and don't let them hang around like SCSU did in 2019.

If you dont get up on them, the clock starts to go really fast, then it's late in the third and there's a problem.  I think of Denver 2004, Michigan 2011 and the upsets of other teams over the years.  So I agree. Be better on the ice, but especially on the scoreboard. 

8 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Don’t think so...US International was based out of San Diego IIRC.

I was at that game when UND and the Hrkac Circus threw everything but the kitchen sink at the net but that kid in net for US International was hotter than a pistol and turned almost everything we threw at the net back.  I digress.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Has anyone seen AIC play this year?
Looking at their schedule, they've only played one NCAA tourney team this season, Quinnipiac.  They lost both games to QU.
Their only other loss was to Army in OT.
Their schedule is definitely weak, but they did take care of business and only lost 3 times all season.

Here is a story we have written back January, talking to Lang about the QU series. https://seamoresports.com/2021/02/02/aic-is-grooving-head-coach-eric-lang-explains-why/

Here are all the articles we have on AIC so far, most from this year, and we have more coming this week. 

https://seamoresports.com/category/ice-hockey/aic/ 

51 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

I can't believe the game is not on TV. The number one seed. Does it require a subscription to watch?

Seems short sighted, but it looks like a subscription to espn3/espn+ will be required. Maybe they think they will get more viewers for volleyball or lacrosse, but again seems like a big mistake not to put UND hockey on regular cable. 

regardless, smoke AOC!  I mean AIC!!!

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, MDtoGF said:

Here is a story we have written back January, talking to Lang about the QU series. https://seamoresports.com/2021/02/02/aic-is-grooving-head-coach-eric-lang-explains-why/

Here are all the articles we have on AIC so far, most from this year, and we have more coming this week. 

https://seamoresports.com/category/ice-hockey/aic/ 

A lot of the AIC roster is NAHL players along with USHL and a few European players and a few transfers.  This is a team that if we tend to business we should steamroll, but that is why we play the games on the ice instead of on paper. 

I remember AIC, in Scheels, in Fargo, against the #1 overall seed, not that long ago ... like 2019 ... 

As the lowest-seeded team, AIC played against #1 St. Cloud State and, despite being outshot 34-13 in the game, won ...

There is one game on the schedule. Just one. And it's must win. 

• Upvote 3

AIC hasn't been battle tested at all this season in the way the Sioux have. UND should win this game. But a few years ago Jan Brady thought the same thing. Hopefully we can take care of business in the first two periods so we can roll 4 lines with short shifts in the 3rd. 

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I remember AIC, in Scheels, in Fargo, against the #1 overall seed, not that long ago ... like 2019 ... 

As the lowest-seeded team, AIC played against #1 St. Cloud State and, despite being outshot 34-13 in the game, won ...

There is one game on the schedule. Just one. And it's must win. 

This AIC team has more NCAA tournament experience than ours. Make no mistake, our boys will be ready to go. 

Well, AIC's resume is less than impressive. That being said, they don't get to pick who they play, they just have to play the schedule. They did, and they did it well. Now this game should not even be close, but we saw what happened against Canisius the other year, and we have see what happened with AIC a few years ago against St Cloud and we all certainly remember Holy Cross.

Take the game serious, leave no doubt, and pound these guys! Score early and score often!