SiouxSports.com Forum

2021-2022 Season

SWSiouxMN

Men's basketball verbal commits shows each player on the team if its walk on, scholarship, transfer, verbal commit, signed, and the transfer. They don't show it for women's basketball is there somebody else that does this for women's basketball. Women's basketball has it own transfer portal site for each school and shows commits on site but doesn't tell if its scholarship or walk on.  If Lane and Sieben are walk-on's this would then leave UND with two openings left. I would guess then couple of recruits that may redshirt for the coming season with that many recruits available for the roster.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t know how this season will go - I expect better than last year - bar set awfully low. Sure seems like we are getting better players coming in every year. Many from far away.
 I too am  pleasantly surprised with the recruiting success (cross your fingers-apparent success) we have had.

Maybe we do have the right coach and assistants. that would be awesome. Go Hawks 

• 3 weeks later...

The season begins in less than week and very little has been said about women's basketball team.  How do create fan interest if don't so some promotion of the team. I can imagine how season tickets sales have been like selling long underwear in the desert in middle of the afternoon. I know they had to cancel fan fest but then they should have tried to get little press to promote the team and season coming forth. This has to do more with the athletic department than coaching staff and i guess were all about hockey and hard core football fans that keep that sport in public eye. Enough of said subject has anything heard how the team is progressing and are they healthy who looks to be making major contributions this year.  I am kind of excited to see this team and wondering if they can turn the corner to be of some factor in the Summit conference on paper they look to be improved.

On 10/29/2021 at 1:49 PM, ND-fan said:

The season begins in less than week and very little has been said about women's basketball team.  How do create fan interest if don't so some promotion of the team. I can imagine how season tickets sales have been like selling long underwear in the desert in middle of the afternoon. I know they had to cancel fan fest but then they should have tried to get little press to promote the team and season coming forth. This has to do more with the athletic department than coaching staff and i guess were all about hockey and hard core football fans that keep that sport in public eye. Enough of said subject has anything heard how the team is progressing and are they healthy who looks to be making major contributions this year.  I am kind of excited to see this team and wondering if they can turn the corner to be of some factor in the Summit conference on paper they look to be improved.

Fair points and you covered some of the reasons why it's quiet on this front-Hockey and football hold the stage now.

Hoping for a surprising season. Lot's of new faces with some old ones mixed in. Hopefully makes for a better than expected season.

21 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Any idea why Mal wouldn’t want to play the Gophers? I know that Lindsay Whalen has tried to schedule them but UND won’t play them. I believe they’ve even talked about playing in Forks. 

Whalen has family ties to Grand Forks.

13 hours ago, NewUndFan said:

Look alot better in the second half. Some of these new players need to play more.  The rotation looks alot better in the second half 

I follow the basketball teams a little bit, but not religiously.  Who were the standouts?  Guessing Lane will be one of our best this year.  I really like Borowicz game as well, but was hard to guage with the injuries last year.  I'm guessing a couple of the transfers will have an impact as well.......

I am not willing to pronounce whole season is already gone on the first game of the season but from the box score there are several things of concern is that we were out rebounded for the game which i believe we should have been dominate to Crookston, second our poor shooting from 3pt. land, and i was expecting that some of transfers would have received more playing time and my reason is when you bring in transfers it should be up grade in your talent level you have for  that position other wise should then be looking for young players that are diamonds in rough to be developed. At least that is my philosophy and especially after the season we had last year where we were definitely behind leaders in conference talent wise. This may be case here too because of team chemistry but we will see what happens when we start playing better teams. I am looking forward to watching them see how they improve from game to game i still think this team should be better than last year with the new players added to this team.