SiouxSports.com Forum

Yotes VS Hawks

Nodak78

2 minutes ago, dden3 said:

What kind of tv coverage might be available for the Thursday game for fans outside of Nodak?  Any information would be appreciated. 

You can subscribe to midcosn+. I believe they have a free 30-day trial but if not it’s only like $5 a month. 

39 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

This team just feels different than past teams though. I was wondering if they would refocus after the beatdown they put on SIU, well they regrouped just fine for a huge challenge. Just have to do it again. I know the team is not looking ahead, but as a fan, I really hope we can keep it going then deliver a total beat down in the Fargo dome. It would just be icing on the cake, and talk about re-igniting a rivalry before we head into the fall and get to host them for the first time since 2003 (my freshman season at UND). I remember being at the game and it was a blast!

This team is different.  

• Upvote 1

So are we strictly a black uniform operation at home now, or do we still have the white pants with green top look?

IMHO we break out the black pants on the road like the old NCC days when we play at Western Illinois.  

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So are we strictly a black uniform operation at home now, or do we still have the white pants with green top look?

IMHO we break out the black pants on the road like the old NCC days when we play at Western Illinois.  

Don't change the home unis for the South Dakota game, for sure.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Don't know much about the 'Yotes - in what ways can they beat us?  O/D lines?  Mobile quarterback?  Rushing attack?  Run defense? 

I took a look at their game on Sunday. Not great at rushing the football, their leading rusher had 35 yards on 16 carries. They have a very good pass block and try to move the ball down the field. Small receivers, but they are quick and find openings in zone coverage. Their QB is shifty and accurate, will scramble but is more than willing to hang in the pocket, so rush lanes have to be sound. There are big play opportunities against their defense, and their secondary bites a on a lot of runs and pump fakes, so play action and double moves are open. ISU gashed their defense on the ground too, 186 total rushing yards, but fumbled three times (yeesh). USD DL had five sacks. Interesting to note, Illinois State also blocked a USD field goal.

edit: update on number of fumbles

4 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

ISU gashed their defense on the ground too, 186 total rushing yards, but fumbled 6 times (yeesh)

So it sounds like ISU basically shot themselves in the foot a whole bunch of times.  How many of those fumbles resulted in a turnover?

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

So it sounds like ISU basically shot themselves in the foot a whole bunch of times.  How many of those fumbles resulted in a turnover?

I thought I read that there were like 7 total turnovers by ISU, but I could be wrong. Going to be a tough game on Thursday though, and we need to be ready. They have the pain of doing a lot of travel on a short week, but I bet they will come out amped up. UND needs to get a faster start, and then grind them down. If we control the game at half time, I expect to see something more similar to the second half of the SIU game; not necessarily that we run away with the score, but that their defense starts to wear down and get tired from the short week.

I hope I am right! I would also point out that I was getting pretty frustrated with Schuster and the secondary early in the SDSU game. Schuster was missing throws, and the secondary must have still been in the locker room. Both bounced back nicely and got better and better as the game went on. Schuster had some really nice passes and smart decisions. Not a flashy QB, but pretty darn effective, and still young; though I would like to see Quincy get mixed in a bit more and pass, it will only help with his run game.

Secondary also stepped up big time in the second half to limit the pass game. I was extremely impressed with Gronowski and the Janke brother.

7 minutes ago, Dustin said:

My fault, misread the turnover stat. 3 forced fumbles, 3 recovered, and 1 pick. The other turnovers must've been turnover on downs. 

6 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Overall, it sounds like the match-up favors UND in most areas.  Would be nice to put a drubbing on, so we can spread out the workload on a short week.

It would also be nice to have another statement win by a few scores, and continue developing the backups.

Just now, goyotes said:

Should be an interesting game.  With UND > SIU > NDSU and also UND > SDSU, the winner of the game can claim the title as best team in the Dakota's. (at least temporarily)

Not ideal for the Yotes playing back to back road games on a short-week.  

Welcome back, on a positive note, we as fans don't have to wait as long to watch some football.

Agreed, it is a tough week for USD to have to travel like that, but we will see how it goes. I'm just glad to be playing teams from the regions regularly again. 

Any thoughts on strength/weaknesses of your team? Injuries? Predictions?

57 minutes ago, Hardcore Hawk said:

My fault, misread the turnover stat. 3 forced fumbles, 3 recovered, and 1 pick. The other turnovers must've been turnover on downs. 

7 turnovers is correct. 4 picks and 3 fumbles. Not saying USD didn't play good but ISU just made waaaaay to many mistakes. ISU was up 17-0 at one point and let it slip away. Came back in the 4th and threw another terrible pass that was intercepted. USD had 7 (yes SEVEN) turnovers and only won by 7 points.

South Dakota vs #7 Illinois State Highlights | 2021 Spring College Football Highlights - YouTube

4 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

That is a screwy schedule.
I don't understand why the Thursday night timeslot. 

The alerus already had booked the camper and gun show prior to the spring football season being scheduled 

18 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

7 turnovers is correct. 4 picks and 3 fumbles. Not saying USD didn't play good but ISU just made waaaaay to many mistakes. ISU was up 17-0 at one point and let it slip away. Came back in the 4th and threw another terrible pass that was intercepted. USD had 7 (yes SEVEN) turnovers and only won by 7 points.

South Dakota vs #7 Illinois State Highlights | 2021 Spring College Football Highlights - YouTube

Don't like this.  They Forced 7 turnovers.  We need to take care of the ball.  They went on the road and beat a very good ISU team, doesn't matter how they got it done.  All the matters is they won.  Need to get going right away and play a complete game.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Don't like this.  They Forced 7 turnovers.  We need to take care of the ball.  They went on the road and beat a very good ISU team, doesn't matter how they got it done.  All the matters is they won.  Need to get going right away and play a complete game.

USD had 6 turnovers on ISU's side of the field.

36, 36, 30, 27--all of which they scored points on

40 and 49---they ended up punting on one and turning it over on the other

Final turnover was at their own 16 as time was winding down.