SiouxSports.com Forum

Yotes VS Hawks

Nodak78

ok we have a game Thirsday against the Yotes.  Another NCC rival.  So let's take a look at memory lane.

Football 9/16/2017 6:16:00 PM UNDsports.com

Coyotes too much for 10th-ranked Fighting Hawks

Coyotes 45, Hawks 7

Sometimes a ranking can be a distraction.   let's focus on Thursday 5pm.

• Upvote 3

This game is now bigger than first imagined by most - due to the Hawks' wins over the Salukis and Rabbits.

Great weekend for GF in sports. Hawks beat SDSU in FB, a top ranked UND Hockey team (winner of Penrose) wins in Omaha, and Central HS wins state hockey tournament. The last two being of storied programs.

As early as it is in the season, UND football has put itself in position to be able to make a mark. Every game going forward is going to be huge. The MVFC has a reputation of fierce competition, work for what you get. SD has given us some tough competition in recent past, and they may be as hungry as we are.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Let's keep rolling.  Buy in from the team in the post game videos looks tremendous right now.

Defense was excellent in the 2nd half yesterday.  Dominated a pretty good Jacks o line.  

It appears to me that Bubba is finding a way to connect with these young men in a way that most coaches don't. I have had my complaints about him in the past but this is huge for building morale and buy in. I love what I am seeing.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Really easy to get buy in when winning. I really hope the coaches turn up the heat this week and ride the guys extra hard. We cannot !@#$ the bed this week. 

That has got to be a point of emphasis on Monday.  Turn the page.  #beatyotes

• Upvote 1

Just judging off highlights, Yotes freshman QB looks like a gun slinger can move a bit. Had some side arm throws. Also looked like he came up limping a few times. Also, had to be a hell of a feeling for him to start as a true freshman in his hometown.

10 hours ago, Nodak78 said:

ok we have a game Thirsday against the Yotes.  Another NCC rival.  So let's take a look at memory lane.

Football 9/16/2017 6:16:00 PM UNDsports.com

Coyotes too much for 10th-ranked Fighting Hawks

Coyotes 45, Hawks 7

Sometimes a ranking can be a distraction.   let's focus on Thursday 5pm.

I made this road trip - there was a nice UND following - we were destroyed, it was over at half time. 

14 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I made this road trip - there was a nice UND following - we were destroyed, it was over at half time. 

And that was our second highest ranking if I remember correctly.  I think we made #8 the year before at playoff time.  Players need to be leveled.

34 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

That game really hurt, our weakness from injuries/depth was exposed, and SD dealt us more injuries. We never recovered that season.
Payback Thursday, there'll be no love lost.

14 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That game really hurt, our weakness from injuries/depth was exposed, and SD dealt us more injuries. We never recovered that season.
Payback Thursday, there'll be no love lost.

Horrible injuries and attrition that spring summer and fall season.  

6 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Looking at the Yotes - their CBs are smaller and young. Hopefully we can win a few jump balls against them. And they like to run a bit with their freshman QB.  Need to dial up the pressure on him like the second half of the SDSU game!

Sounds like a favorable match-up on both accounts.

Something that I saw in the second half against the Jacks amongst the O-line was belief.  Tough sledding the first half on the ground, but I think they started to get momentum in the second half and we saw some big plays on the ground because of it.  That d lineman for the Jacks (#99 maybe?) is a dude.  Great football player.  

I'm still tickled pink by the Otis dagger.  Some RBs go out of bounds on that play, but he was thinking six all the way.  Lucky he got a bounce too! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Do we stick with the business suits for Thursday?

I know there has been a ton of talk about rankings. For fans, this is a fun topic...especially considering the Bison loss.  From a team perspective, hopefully they reset and focus on Thursday. I'll consider it a positive that USD won; for one, it will give us a 3rd ranked opponent, which helps from a resume perspective. Hopefully it also keeps the kids focused, not thinking they will play some pushover this week. I don't think there are any teams in the league where you can take that approach ... the minute you do, is the minute you lose a stupid one.

This team just feels different than past teams though. I was wondering if they would refocus after the beatdown they put on SIU, well they regrouped just fine for a huge challenge. Just have to do it again. I know the team is not looking ahead, but as a fan, I really hope we can keep it going then deliver a total beat down in the Fargo dome. It would just be icing on the cake, and talk about re-igniting a rivalry before we head into the fall and get to host them for the first time since 2003 (my freshman season at UND). I remember being at the game and it was a blast!

Enough rambling ... is it Thursday yet?

• Upvote 2