SiouxSports.com Forum

Jerseys

sioux7>5

I guarantee that this is a complete non-issue for the team. They could be wearing generic white practice jerseys with numbers written in sharpie and it would make no difference. They are concerned about WMU, not whether their blouse matches their skirt. There will be zero gameday distraction for the team. Of all the potential concerns, the style of the jersey has to dead last on the list.

You are correct (thus more evidence that the name and logo are irrelevant to winning games). As Al Davis said "just win baby". These kids will play in practice jerseys, I don't think they really care, they need to be focused on the game and playing their best hockey of the season.

Pros and Cons to both ways I suppose. If they showed them before hand I can just about guarantee you'd get those UND diehards who would be telling everyone not to go because "they aren't Sioux jerseys! DON'T SUPPORT THE UNIVERSITY!!!" Most of them probably aren't even thinking about it right now because the new jerseys haven't been shown

Pros and Cons to both ways I suppose. If they showed them before hand I can just about guarantee you'd get those UND diehards who would be telling everyone not to go because "they aren't Sioux jerseys! DON'T SUPPORT THE UNIVERSITY!!!" Most of them probably aren't even thinking about it right now because the new jerseys haven't been shown

if you could find two in a thousand Sioux fans who would have a retarded position like that I would be amazed!

Sioux fans get who is at fault here. Im just trying to come up with the best t-shirt for fans to wear to the games that would adequately show our angst. I kindof like the old soldier field anti vikings t-shirts that said "F@CK THE VIKINGS".

We could do "F@CK THE NCAA", it is a bit childish but to the point for sure.

or we could take the educational approach, "Irony; The Sioux tribe is Suing the NCAA to keep our name".. I like that one!

Not having to answer a million questions about whether they like they new jerseys or not is probably a good thing before the first game.

Like I said,

Show them (today), then (Hakstol) point blank say, "We, the team, will not be taking questions about this uniform. All questions may be directed to Bernard Franklin and Walter Harrison at the NCAA. Thank you." And then walk out.

Any reporter who asks what the players think of the jersey should be embarrassed. Unless I'm mistaken, the team isn't made up of junior high girls.

This weekend isn't about the jersey or the name. It's about the U of ND hockey team. Everyone has an opinion on the name issue, but this isn't the time or place to make it the story. The story is the remarkable season this team has had given the obstacles faced. What this team has already done is really unbelievable.

• Upvote 1

Any reporter who asks what the players think of the jersey should be embarrassed. Unless I'm mistaken, the team isn't made up of junior high girls.

This weekend isn't about the jersey or the name. It's about the U of ND hockey team. Everyone has an opinion on the name issue, but this isn't the time or place to make it the story. The story is the remarkable season this team has had given the obstacles faced. What this team has already done is really unbelievable.

Couldn't agree more. The idea that the jersey issue is a distraction for the team is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

if you could find two in a thousand Sioux fans who would have a retarded position like that I would be amazed!

Sioux fans get who is at fault here. Im just trying to come up with the best t-shirt for fans to wear to the games that would adequately show our angst. I kindof like the old soldier field anti vikings t-shirts that said "F@CK THE VIKINGS".

or we could take the educational approach, "Irony; The Sioux tribe is Suing the NCAA to keep our name".. I like that one!

I assume it would be the same thousands of alumni that are threatening to stop donating to the university if the name is lost. Stupid, I know, but there are thousands of people with that position.

I assume it would be the same thousands of alumni that are threatening to stop donating to the university if the name is lost. Stupid, I know, but there are thousands of people with that position.

I thank you for your concern, but I for one am not at all worried about a mass exodus of UND hockey fans if the name changes. So, the fact that the University is doing what it has to do to avoid forfeiting an NCAA tournament game is a non-issue.

id say the best rebuffs to make up would be "DAKOTA = SIOUX" same thing.

What next we can't play unless the state changes names too?

As far as showing the jerseys. Yes if u show them today there will be copys made prior to the game although there will be copies made prior to any retail availablity so a few days does not matter.

And yes almost every reporter will ask about how the players and coaches feel about the new gear...because no reporter is above that question.

That just hasn't happened, and won't happen. Those who are saying this are people that don't actually donate to UND in the first place.

I just want the sweaters to be the old script North Dakota from the 50's, and they could say it is a tribute to the Bill LeCaine era and his support. I pray that those are what they are. I agree they would play in anything, but to say those who are still for the nickname and supporting the Spirit Lake tribe are just going to take down the university and make the sports teams irrelavant is stupid. I again urge those to read the last two lines from the recent letter to North Dakota from the NCAA. They are making an effort to try to have the university stop fans from wearing the Fighting Sioux logo. The battle is with the NCAA and freedom of speech, which is why it is actually bigger than the school, but a stand on how progressive this country is becoming. This will be the first time in 23 years I have not been to the frozen four due to family issues, but I would encourage all fans to wear the Fighting Sioux logo and see if the NCAA says anything. We all want the athletes and UND personnel to comply, but let's keep it going as fans.

• Upvote 1

Any reporter who asks what the players think of the jersey should be embarrassed.

I don't think that any question is out of bounds anymore. I thought I have seen it all and this weekend the goal posts were moved further back, I witnessed a reporter from the metro area asked Zucker if he was basically goin go to sign a professional contract this season. This same reporter than asked Gwoz if he had discussed Zuckers future. Zucker handled it well by saying that he had to game to play tomorrow night. Gwoz also handled it well by saying that he has never had a player come back to him and say that he regretted staying in school an extra year.

Edited by Goon

According to the CFO of the Alumni Foundation it has not happened. To paraphrase her responce to the question if donations have slowed, "You mean from the people who never gave"? She said this with a smile on her face. Meaning all the people who shouted they would never donate again really did not donate to start with. Maybe 1000's with that position but they were not donators anyhow so no loss.

I don't think that any question is out of bounds anymore. I thought I have seen it all and this weekend the goal posts were moved further back, I witnessed a reporter from the metro area asked Zucker if he was basically goin go to sign a professional contract this season. This same reporter than asked Gwoz if he had discussed Zuckers future. Zucker handled it well by saying that he had to game to play tomorrow night. Gwoz also handled it well by saying that he has never had a player come back to him and say that he regretted staying in school an extra year.

Back in the day I'd love to see Bobby Knight respond to a question about his team's new jersey or socks after a tough loss. Or Tom Coughlin being asked about the uniform color scheme after the Super Bowl. I'd expect a reporter to ask a hockey related question. Asking about their sock color or jersey has nothing to do with hockey or the playing of the game. At least the Zucker thing, while ill advised, has to do with hockey.

I would hope we have more intelligence than to have to rely on the "F bomb" to make our point. It lacks class and would be evidence we are a bunch of buffoons.

• Upvote 3

The media will make this as big of an issue as they think they can (to sell advertising, it's what they do).

Putting it out there early takes the steam away.

Otherwise, the post-game (heck, if it's Kevin Gorg ... in-game) questions will come about "distraction".

Want to make a simple, clear statement?

Bring a big poster with a Florida State logo on it with the words: This is acceptable; UND's is not.

20 bucks it gets confiscated at the door.

Although, a gopher fan brought in an actual blanket that had something about smallpox crudely written on it to the Final Five. It got taken down fast though. Talk about classless.

Her ya go, Sica...

4227573_orig.jpg

The NCAA said Florida State had to get the Seminole tribe in Florida to approve the name. They did. So the NCAA approves it. The NCAA said that UND had to get both Sioux tribes in North Dakota to approve the name. They both did not. So the NCAA doesn't approve. What ;s not to get? I am ot trying to defend the NCAA on this, but the facts are the facts. Had we gotten approval from both tribes, the team would be wearing their Sioux jerseys this weekend with the name and logo on it. If anyone brings that sign, they will look pretty dumb, in my opinion. UND had their window of opportunity, but they didn't succeed. I get it. Most other logical people do to.