SiouxSports.com Forum

Jerseys

sioux7>5

The NCAA said Florida State had to get the Seminole tribe in Florida to approve the name. They did. So the NCAA approves it. The NCAA said that UND had to get both Sioux tribes in North Dakota to approve the name. They both did not. So the NCAA doesn't approve. What ;s not to get? I am ot trying to defend the NCAA on this, but the facts are the facts. Had we gotten approval from both tribes, the team would be wearing their Sioux jerseys this weekend with the name and logo on it. If anyone brings that sign, they will look pretty dumb, in my opinion. UND had their window of opportunity, but they didn't succeed. I get it. Most other logical people do to.

This is going a bit off topic but I'm curious...why did the previous ceremony where the Sioux tribe blessed (blessed may not be the correct word) the use of the name for the University not take care of this requirement? Was it not typed on NCAA sanctioned paper? Is the blessing only good for a certain number of years, like an expiring blessing? I get your comment above that this is what the NCAA is requiring but why hasn't the past event I mentioned provided precedence to take care of this?

I didn't mean to derail this thread so let's stop here.

There's a whole forum answering this question. Please go there. Thanks.

This is going a bit off topic but I'm curious...why did the previous ceremony where the Sioux tribe blessed (blessed may not be the correct word) the use of the name for the University not take care of this requirement? Was it not typed on NCAA sanctioned paper? Is the blessing only good for a certain number of years, like an expiring blessing? I get your comment above that this is what the NCAA is requiring but why hasn't the past event I mentioned provided precedence to take care of this?

The NCAA asked for written confirmation from all tribes, including the Seminoles. The Seminoles immediately sent written approval. So did the Utes of Utah and the Chippewa tribe in Central Michigan. A few other tribes took a little time but gave written approval for some smaller schools. Standing Rock, the tribe that held a ceremony at UND in 1969, would not provide the written confirmation. As a matter of fact, the tribal council at Standing Rock has voted repeatedly to oppose UND using the nickname. And people in authority at Standing Rock have said the ceremony was not official and that the people that were involved didn't have authority to give that kind of approval. Reportedly, the Tribal Chair in 1969 was a member of the party attending the ceremony and was also a member of the Tribal Council in 1992 when he voted against UND using the logo. Ron His Horse is Thunder has used that fact as proof that the ceremony was not an official ceremony giving permanent approval for use of the name.

Back to jerseys:

Anything but the block letter "North Dakota" from the Pres. Baker era.

Where are Schlossman and Haga? GF is normally "leaky". Where are their grainy, leaked photos (taken with a Nintendo DSi by someone claiming to just be playing "Backyard Hockey") of the new sweaters? :D

20 bucks it gets confiscated at the door.

Although, a gopher fan brought in an actual blanket that had something about smallpox crudely written on it to the Final Five. It got taken down fast though. Talk about classless.

It would be even more shocking if you knew who the fans were that brough said blanket into the arena... Then I saw an exchange on-line where this person then blamed the Sioux fans for the small pox blanket because they had a team with a "racist" logo and nickname.

I actually wouldn't mind them just wearing a blank jersey with numbers only. It won't happen as a huge distraction but would send an interesting message. Do they have to have anything on the front?

I would not recommend the black jersey's any more this season they were 1-5 in them and much better in the green and white jersey's...

It would be even more shocking if you knew who the fans were that brough said blanket into the arena... Then I saw an exchange on-line where this person then blamed the Sioux fans for the small pox blanket because they had a team with a "racist" logo and nickname.

Pretty much positive I know the 2 people that brought that in. I had no idea they actually did it,though.

I actually wouldn't mind them just wearing a blank jersey with numbers only. It won't happen as a huge distraction but would send an interesting message. Do they have to have anything on the front?

Looking at the copy of the NCAA rule book I have (a couple years old), it only says the team must be dressed "uniformly" (all the same) with the visiting team wearing dark jerseys and dark stockings. The jersey has to have 10" numbers on the back and 4" numbers on both sleeves or on the front.

Each player and each goalkeeper listed in the lineup of each team shall wear an individual identifying number at least 10 inches high on the back of the jersey and at least 4 inches high on the front or on both sleeves. The visiting team shall wear dark-colored jerseys and stockings; the home team shall wear light-colored jerseys and stockings.

Pretty much positive I know the 2 people that brought that in. I had no idea they actually did it,though.

No idea who, but the why is pretty easy. Duluth fans were chanting 'Smallpox Blankets' when we played there the last time, so of course a Gopher fan would have to copy that instead of coming up with something original, like 26 year old Canadians or 'There's nothing else to do in Grand Forks, that's why you sell out the arena'.

• Upvote 1

No idea who, but the why is pretty easy. Duluth fans were chanting 'Smallpox Blankets' when we played there the last time, so of course a Gopher fan would have to copy that instead of coming up with something original, like 26 year old Canadians or 'There's nothing else to do in Grand Forks, that's why you sell out the arena'.

I always loved...those ones.

My buddy told me that the perps who hung the smallpox blanket at the X this past weekend were no other than the infamous Drunk Hockey Guy, which is no surprise at all, but the 2nd perp is a big surprise and makes me sad: Ryan Cardinal of KFAN and Gopher Puck Live. I had always respected Cardinal in the past. Maybe it isn't true, but that is what the rumor is. I wonder if KFAN knows about this?

My buddy told me that the perps who hung the smallpox blanket at the X this past weekend were no other than the infamous Drunk Hockey Guy, which is no surprise at all, but the 2nd perp is a big surprise and makes me sad: Ryan Cardinal of KFAN and Gopher Puck Live. I had always respected Cardinal in the past. Maybe it isn't true, but that is what the rumor is. I wonder if KFAN knows about this?

It's true.Cardinal was there.I lost all respect for the man. No longer following him on twitter. Unbelievable.

Nobody said anything about a black jersey. The suggestion was to wear a "blank" jersey.

That would be a good idea. White blank jersey with a number. :) I like the Idea of a having a middle finger as the logo. :)

• Upvote 1

If it is true it was Drunk Hockey Guy, isn't he just some rube who cheers for duluth? When you are in the media, I think you have to hold yourself to a higher standard, right?

I am sure that his argument would be he didn't apply for a press pass during the Final Five so he went as a fan and as not a representative of GPL.

are you serious, Cardinal was involved? WOW! i expect it from the Drunk Hockey Idiot as he was spouting off about bringing a blanket to the X. I'm sure he did that while he was with his two kids. loser. They must be really proud of daddy. If Cardinal was involved that's a whole different deal. He's a guest on KFAN and works for the Vikings.

• Upvote 1

Does anybody have a picture? there has to be a few pics of this.

I just asked Kfan on twitter if was true and if they also support racist pranks as well?

Wonder if they will acknowledge...im thinking not.

If this is true and KFAN or PA has the drunk loser or for that matter Cardinal on it should be a ton of calls to their advertisers asking if they support racism of Native Americans?