SiouxSports.com Forum

2022 FB Recruiting

UND Fan

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Will walking on as a freshman be a  thing of the past? It’s easier now than ever to show what you can do in the FCS as a younger player and then make the jump. Get the scholarship and walk on later if you really want to play at a school 

I'm thinking of the Gloudeman kid. Makes sense to try to walk on at Wisc. If it doesn't work, he enters portal next year and gets a potential scholly.

On 6/4/2021 at 8:45 AM, UND Fan said:

Another:

LB Jack Zuckel, 6'3", 200, 4.7, Lakeville (South), MN  Has offers from Yale & Air Force

***  This is the first UND athletic (non-hockey) post in four days.  Probably a record in recent years!!

Juckel committed to Air Force

14 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

My take on this year's FB recruiting effort:

• Next week, we will sign 4-5 REALLY talented kids similar to what we have gotten in few years.  To really compete for a title, we need 8-10 kids with great talent every year.  Many of the rest of the signees will be contributors but not at the difference-maker level we need.  It was a hard hit when RB Gilman took a recruiting trip to Bozeman and decided UM would be a pretty good place to play his college ball.  We were very sure he was going to commit to us. 
  • I have followed our recruiting efforts for many years.  We are certainly making improvements in the quality of the kids we are recruiting. However, I know that many of the offerees that we all wanted and were talked about often on this thread, had let us know some time ago that we were no longer among their considerations.  This is evidenced by offers we have made in the last few weeks to some kids who had not been highly recruited.  I know you can come back with Santiago and a few others who weren't highly recruited didn't turn out too bad.  I agree but, as a percentage, not many of them are difference-makers.
  • Without getting into strengths and weaknesses by position, a major need we have is speed - at all positions.  Unfortunately, I don't think next week's recruiting class will improve that area to any great degree.
  • Our mediocre results this fall season certainly didn't help recruiting.  I am sure there were recruits watching some of our games on ESPN3 or their local TV stations (probably with their dad or FB buddies) with some of our efforts and decision-making creating discussions that were not favorable for UND.  
  • For the last 50 years and continuing today, our location creates a huge challenge for our coaching staff to convince kids from S MN, IA, NE, KS, etc. to play their college ball much farther away from their homes (and families/girlfriends, etc.).  There are so many schools closer to home than Grand Forks and most kids have to drive by at least three of them to get to GF.  Weather is a factor for kids living in much milder climates.  These challenges might hurt us further with the new transfer rules (a terrible thing for college sports, in my opinion) making it easier for truly talented kids to move up a level or find a school closer to home.
  • Our facilities do not dazzle many recruits.  Phase I was certainly an improvement but we really need Phase II soon.  I think there will be an announcement soon but we will be playing catchup as many MVFC schools are (or have in recent years) made significant improvements to their facilities.  Many people across the country think SDSU has the best facilities in all of FCS.

In proofing the above, it may come across as quite negative.  It was not meant to be - only to point out some of our challenges from my perspective.  I truly think we can reach the level of being in the top 3-4 in the league each year and making the playoffs most years but a few things need to happen.  For us to truly consistently compete at a higher level, most of what we need revolves around money - for facilities, the coaching staff, improving the athletes' college experience, the gameday experience, etc.  UND needs to find more $ for athletics and the Champion's Club needs to step up their contributions.  If we truly care, people like us need to aggressively (based upon what each of us can do) and actively others to do the same!

Feel free to comment but I have no interest in a debate!

Well written and I agree with many of your points. I'm hopeful we have another Waletzko waiting in the wings and another Santiago.  

Who are the 4-5 you like who will sign next week?

21 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I truly think we can reach the level of being in the top 3-4 in the league each year and making the playoffs most years but a few things need to happen.

Success of the school to the south combined with the watering down of talent in FCS by teams leaving for FBS has ruined my expectations. I wouldn't even be happy with this. Playoff runs almost every year and occasional titles. I understand I'm probably unrealistic tho. Very good post tho, well said.

48 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

• Next week, we will sign 4-5 REALLY talented kids similar to what we have gotten in few years.  To really compete for a title, we need 8-10 kids with great talent every year.  Many of the rest of the signees will be contributors but not at the difference-maker level we need.  It was a hard hit when RB Gilman took a recruiting trip to Bozeman and decided UM would be a pretty good place to play his college ball.  We were very sure he was going to commit to us. 
  • I have followed our recruiting efforts for many years.  We are certainly making improvements in the quality of the kids we are recruiting. However, I know that many of the offerees that we all wanted and were talked about often on this thread, had let us know some time ago that we were no longer among their considerations.  This is evidenced by offers we have made in the last few weeks to some kids who had not been highly recruited.  I know you can come back with Santiago and a few others who weren't highly recruited didn't turn out too bad.  I agree but, as a percentage, not many of them are difference-makers.
  • Without getting into strengths and weaknesses by position, a major need we have is speed - at all positions.  Unfortunately, I don't think next week's recruiting class will improve that area to any great degree.
  • Our mediocre results this fall season certainly didn't help recruiting.  I am sure there were recruits watching some of our games on ESPN3 or their local TV stations (probably with their dad or FB buddies) with some of our efforts and decision-making creating discussions that were not favorable for UND.  
  • For the last 50 years and continuing today, our location creates a huge challenge for our coaching staff to convince kids from S MN, IA, NE, KS, etc. to play their college ball much farther away from their homes (and families/girlfriends, etc.).  There are so many schools closer to home than Grand Forks and most kids have to drive by at least three of them to get to GF.  Weather is a factor for kids living in much milder climates.  These challenges might hurt us further with the new transfer rules (a terrible thing for college sports, in my opinion) making it easier for truly talented kids to move up a level or find a school closer to home.
  • Our facilities do not dazzle many recruits.  Phase I was certainly an improvement but we really need Phase II soon.  I think there will be an announcement soon but we will be playing catchup as many MVFC schools are (or have in recent years) made significant improvements to their facilities.  Many people across the country think SDSU has the best facilities in all of FCS.

In proofing the above, it may come across as quite negative.  It was not meant to be - only to point out some of our challenges from my perspective.  I truly think we can reach the level of being in the top 3-4 in the league each year and making the playoffs most years but a few things need to happen.  For us to truly consistently compete at a higher level, most of what we need revolves around money - for facilities, the coaching staff, improving the athletes' college experience, the gameday experience, etc.  UND needs to find more $ for athletics and the Champion's Club needs to step up their contributions.  If we truly care, people like us need to aggressively (based upon what each of us can do) and actively others to do the same!

I disagree with none of this.

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

I disagree with none of this.

I intentionally did not mention our competition a few miles south of us - no need to.  It will be very difficult for us to again gain supremacy over their program.  It would be great if that happened soon but I am afraid it will be a while - primarily because of their culture, their $ and the fact that they land 10-12 kids with great talent every year!

10 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I intentionally did not mention our competition a few miles south of us - no need to.  It will be very difficult for us to again gain supremacy over their program.  It would be great if that happened soon but I am afraid it will be a while - primarily because of their culture, their $ and the fact that they land 10-12 kids with great talent every year!

I think you hit the nail on the head with culture. They’ve sustained this thing across three head coaches now.  

8 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I recall the same thinking back in 1986. That obviously changed the following decade.

We should focus on what we can control, which is quite a bit.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I recall the same thinking back in 1986. That obviously changed the following decade.

The facilities gap has widened.  Pause II of the Pollard is priority numero uno. 

23 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

The facilities gap has widened.  Pause II of the Pollard is priority numero uno. 

Well we have a new building in the works that is waiting on final signatures. It  is similar to phase 2 but for some reason no one has mentioned it? Once that is built we will have one of the top 10 facilities in the FCS but that doesn’t say much since the FCS is getting even more watered down. We need to a be top  8 team every year on average because the competition is just that poor….

11 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Lots of good stuff in this, but we are 70 miles north of the most dominant program in D1 history so location does not cut it for me.  
The facilities are a problem only compared to NDSU and SDSU and hopefully that will be addressed very soon with phase 2.

Top to bottom this falls team stacks up very well to the SU’s.  

The missing link is culture and results.  Especially after watching the games yesterday, the only thing we are missing is results and the subsequent culture which comes from winning and believing in the guys around you and the staff.  

In retrospect, it’s obvious whatever “winning” culture Bubba had developed over the last couple seasons of winning evaporated last fall.
Next season is the tell.  Make the playoffs and a top 3 MVFC finish or it’s time to reboot.

3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Lots of good stuff in this, but we are 70 miles north of the most dominant program in D1 history so location does not cut it for me.  
The facilities are a problem only compared to NDSU and SDSU and hopefully that will be addressed very soon with phase 2.

Top to bottom this falls team stacks up very well to the SU’s.  

The missing link is culture and results.  Especially after watching the games yesterday, the only thing we are missing is results and the subsequent culture which comes from winning and believing in the guys around you and the staff.  

In retrospect, it’s obvious whatever “winning” culture Bubba had developed over the last couple seasons of winning evaporated last fall.
Next season is the tell.  Make the playoffs and a top 3 MVFC finish or it’s time to reboot.

I said I didn't want to debate so I will respectfully disagree!  One question: Am I correct that you feel our talent level is equal to either of the SU's?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This is a great comparison - I fully agree. Even after we caught up to them in talent in the mid-80s, it took 2-3 years before we beat them.  Once we finally did, the wins against them came much easier. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I said I didn't want to debate so I will respectfully disagree!  One question: Am I correct that you feel our talent level is equal to either of the SU's?

Yes.  The talent is roughly equal.  The coaching and subsequent culture is not.  That was never more obvious than in many of the games this fall.

1 hour ago, AJS said:

You would think having at least four uncommitted recruits on campus the weekend before early signing day would be a huge advantage. I wouldn’t be surprised if they got one or two commitments today. 

So you are saying we have a recruiting advantage over the SU’s because we are home and they are still chasing hardware?  Did you think about this comment?