SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

If the JuiceU fans are so important, why do they start “disagreements “ on this forum? Things always deteriorate to the lowest common denominator of this forum..... I enjoy reading all these high level football comments .... but JuiceU comments seem to add insult to injury.

Go bask in your glory on your own forums.... and geaux Sioux is not a dick unless provoked.... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

If the JuiceU fans are so important, why do they start “disagreements “ on this forum? Things always deteriorate to the lowest common denominator of this forum..... I enjoy reading all these high level football comments .... but JuiceU comments seem to add insult to injury.

Go bask in your glory on your own forums.... and geaux Sioux is not a dick unless provoked.... 

Who is claiming to be “so important”?

35 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

geauxsioux is one of only a few former players on here so his input is awesome whether you agree with him or not....

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

1. One could argue that you are the lowest common denominator in this thread.

2. He stated he was a dick.

Maybe Mama Karen should stay in her lane.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Maybe it comes down to what peoples definition of an asterisk is I suppose. A “not normal” season for me is an asterisk. It doesnt fully delegitimize the championship for the winner, but I do believe history will see the 2020 champion as slightly lesser than given the circumstances.

As i mentioned, it doesn't matter what a person's opinion is; it's up to the NCAA.  If it were based on personal opinion, there's a couple of recent championships that i would certainly put an asterisk next to.  But it's not up to me.  

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

As i mentioned, it doesn't matter what a person's opinion is; it's up to the NCAA.  If it were based on personal opinion, there's a couple of recent championships that i would certainly put an asterisk next to.  But it's not up to me.  

This is a ridiculous standard. The NCAA would never put an asterisk on their own championship.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. 

The NCAA never even officially put an asterisk on the 1918 season. Check out the records for that year.

5 hours ago, Bison06 said:

This is a ridiculous standard. The NCAA would never put an asterisk on their own championship.

The NCAA never even officially put an asterisk on the 1918 season. Check out the records for that year.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard someone complain about the legitimacy of the 1918 NCAA football champions...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bison06 said:

So I guess in your mind Alabama's win over Ohio State this year has an asterisk. 

On 3/21/2021 at 11:33 PM, Bison06 said:

Well, then you’d be quite wrong.

I’ve said it on many other threads and I’ll say it here as well, I don’t care who wins this season, NDSU or anybody else, you’re crazy if you think in 50 years when people look at the schedules and the timing of this season they won’t put an asterisk by all of it. The champion this year will likely only have won 10-11 games total vs 15-16.

You think what you want, but history will absolutely be putting an asterisk on the “2020” FCS season.

Trust me, it won't. Do you remember the Redskins Super Bowl wins any less because they came in strike seasons. Or the Dodgers 1981 World Series win.  Same with Stanley Cup or NBA Champs in lockout shortened seasons. Once the banner goes up and the rings are fitted, its a title. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

So I guess in your mind Alabama's win over Ohio State this year has an asterisk. 

Absolutely it does. It’s only lessened by the fact that everybody expected Alabama to win anyway. What if Alabama had the same covid trouble as some of the big ten teams? Ohio State played half a season and then have your best two d lineman out because of covid testing protocols. If Alabama played half a season and some of their best players were out for a playoff game, people would without a doubt have put an asterisk next to an Ohio State or a Notre Dame title.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/ncaa-football/news/ohio-state-covid-list-alabama/1lmo5oskb36ce1qx8ie66s9uvv

7 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Trust me, it won't. Do you remember the Redskins Super Bowl wins any less because they came in strike seasons. Or the Dodgers 1981 World Series win.  Same with Stanley Cup or NBA Champs in lockout shortened seasons. Once the banner goes up and the rings are fitted, its a title. 

You’ve made my point for me. Every time one of those seasons gets mentioned, they provide a caveat of “lockout shortened year”, that is by definition an asterisk.

This season is definitely unique, but if the playoffs are held and completed, and the perennial top 5 to 10 programs are participating, I don’t see how you can degrade the eventual champion. They will have earned themselves an FCS championship - rightfully so. 

now, of course, knowing how NDSU fans work, it is inevitable that NDSU will argue for the above if they win but will scream inequity if NDSU is not the champion this spring. Predictably pathetic fan base in Fargo.  

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

You’re  usually good at sarcasm.

You must've missed his "50 years from now" comment a ways back.  He evidently believes generations from now people will be talking about the 2021 spring FCS title winners with contempt.  

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Actually, I’d have zero nickels. 

You are delusional if you think anyone is complaining about the legitimacy of the 1918 ncaa football title. 

As usual you conflate two arguments to make your point seem relevant. I never said people are complaining about past champions, simply that there is a clear conversation that gets had every time certain years get brought up. Every NFL fan on the planet knows the 1987 season had replacement players and that season is completely different than others and that didn’t have nearly the impact that this years FCS season has as only a few games were effected. We have teams completely opting out of the season, we have significant impact players who would have been on the squads normally(fall season) not playing this spring. 

This season’s champion will on paper be a championship like any other, but FCS fans will always look at this championship differently, especially if a very unexpected team ends up winning the title.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

As usual you conflate two arguments to make your point seem relevant. I never said people are complaining about past champions, simply that there is a clear conversation that gets had every time certain years get brought up. Every NFL fan on the planet knows the 1987 season had replacement players and that season is completely different than others and that didn’t have nearly the impact that this years FCS season has as only a few games were effected. We have teams completely opting out of the season, we have significant impact players who would have been on the squads normally(fall season) not playing this spring. 

This season’s champion will on paper be a championship like any other, but FCS fans will always look at this championship differently, especially if a very unexpected team ends up winning the title.

Totally disagree.  10 years from now it will be a championship like any other.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This season is definitely unique, but if the playoffs are held and completed, and the perennial top 5 to 10 programs are participating, I don’t see how you can degrade the eventual champion. They will have earned themselves an FCS championship - rightfully so. 

now, of course, knowing how NDSU fans work, it is inevitable that NDSU will argue for the above if they win but will scream inequity if NDSU is not the champion this spring. Predictably pathetic fan base in Fargo.  

Not at all. This year is different and this years championship, if it happens, will not be the same, whether it is NDSU or anybody else. Even if the perennial top 5 or 10 teams are competing, those teams are not playing with the same roster as they had planned on playing with in the fall. Take   a quarter of your starting lineup off the field from opt outs or declaring for the draft off any roster and you have a watered down product. 

• Downvote 1

It’s funny sometimes on message boards you get stuck arguing a point vehemently that is so meaningless and doesn’t even matter to me or to I’m sure any of you, I mean who the hell cares, but it’s entertainment and I like to talk sports.

If anyone is a fan of the late, great Mitch Hedburg, these discussions always remind me of his “that tree is far away” joke.

Go to 5 minutes or listen to the whole thing if you need a laugh.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Not at all. This year is different and this years championship, if it happens, will not be the same, whether it is NDSU or anybody else. Even if the perennial top 5 or 10 teams are competing, those teams are not playing with the same roster as they had planned on playing with in the fall. Take   a quarter of your starting lineup off the field from opt outs or declaring for the draft off any roster and you have a watered down product. 

Case in point