SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 non UND FCS thread

UNDBIZ

so 4 teams that were supposed to play Illinois st are UND SDSU Missouri st and SIU

USD is supposed to host uni april 2nd, they could host SIU instead as they are not scheduled to play this year.  UNI gets bye week

und and uni play April 17.  UND gets bye April 10th

Missouri st and SDSU play April 17.  As they were not scheduled to play this year.  

all teams get their 8 games and don’t play any teams twice. 

21 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

What’s stopping all the other teams out there with 3 or more losses from just shutting down the season? 

Was thinking the same thing. Or what if a fall season was going poorly, could you just forfeit the rest of the season?

46 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Would love for the conference to make them ineligible for the playoffs next season.  I'm sure the conference can't and never would anyways, but damn what a classless deal by ISU. 

I'm assuming this is not a covid quarantine deal.

What I thought might happen is, if a team was definitely out of it with a few games to go, they would just start playing mostly underclassmen to get them some experience.  I didn't anticipate teams just flat out quitting. Lame.  

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

And this is reason 139 why this season will have an asterisk on it.

I'm quite sure if NDSU ends up winning it, you nor any other Bison fan will say there should be an asterisk after it. 

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I'm quite sure if NDSU ends up winning it, you nor any other Bison fan will say there should be an asterisk after it. 

Well, then you’d be quite wrong.

I’ve said it on many other threads and I’ll say it here as well, I don’t care who wins this season, NDSU or anybody else, you’re crazy if you think in 50 years when people look at the schedules and the timing of this season they won’t put an asterisk by all of it. The champion this year will likely only have won 10-11 games total vs 15-16.

You think what you want, but history will absolutely be putting an asterisk on the “2020” FCS season.

13 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Well, then you’d be quite wrong.

I’ve said it on many other threads and I’ll say it here as well, I don’t care who wins this season, NDSU or anybody else, you’re crazy if you think in 50 years when people look at the schedules and the timing of this season they won’t put an asterisk by all of it. The champion this year will likely only have won 10-11 games total vs 15-16.

You think what you want, but history will absolutely be putting an asterisk on the “2020” FCS season.

Could it be argued that winning the championship this season is more impressive than in a normal season? I think the adverse circumstances for athletes and coaches due to Covid probably make it harder to focus on what needs to be done on and off the field. I'm just trying to see the other side of the argument.

4 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Could it be argued that winning the championship this season is more impressive than in a normal season? I think the adverse circumstances for athletes and coaches due to Covid probably make it harder to focus on what needs to be done on and off the field. I'm just trying to see the other side of the argument.

It could be argued, but I would counter it with, as long as the playoffs actually happen, somebody has to be named champion. Regardless of the quality of play throughout the season, a champion will be named. If there were some threshold of quality to be reached then I’d agree with you.

9 hours ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Sounds like it has nothing to do with a COVID outbreak. Excuse the coach made was they have suffered a few more injuries and want to keep everyone safe and healthy for the fall.

What’s stopping all the other teams out there with 3 or more losses from just shutting down the season? 

Apples to oranges a bit, but Duke basketball talked all season about just shutting it down.  Can't tell me a little bit didn't have to do with their worst season in years. 

24 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Unless the NCAA puts an official asterisk on it, (and they won’t) it will be considered a championship just like all the others. 

People here love to disagree with me simply because I have Bison in my handle. If you stop for a minute and look at what is happening right now around the country, teams opting out, a lot of teams choosing not to play at all, many seniors opting out of the season, random bye weeks as a result of teams opting out you’ll see that this isn’t a normal season and won’t be seen as such.

And, by the way, we aren’t at the end yet. Playoff games could easily get cancelled due to covid. 

Is it because UND is having a good season or why are UND fans so opposed to the idea that this simply isn’t a normal season?

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

People here love to disagree with me simply because I have Bison in my handle. If you stop for a minute and look at what is happening right now around the country, teams opting out, a lot of teams choosing not to play at all, many seniors opting out of the season, random bye weeks as a result of teams opting out you’ll see that this isn’t a normal season and won’t be seen as such.

And, by the way, we aren’t at the end yet. Playoff games could easily get cancelled due to covid. 

Is it because UND is having a good season or why are UND fans so opposed to the idea that this simply isn’t a normal season?

It’s a conspiracy bro

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I was just stating a fact as to how the NCAA will handle it.  You are welcome to your opinions and what you think might make it a legitimate season or not in your eyes. 
And of course it’s not a normal season, we can all see that.    

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I don't think people are saying the season is "normal," but it is the season we are allowed to play.  I'll ask you this: why are the Bison playing?

1 minute ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I was just stating a fact as to how the NCAA will handle it.  You are welcome to your opinions and what you think might make it a legitimate season or not in your eyes. 
And of course it’s not a normal season, we can all see that.    

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

I don't think people are saying the season is "normal," but it is the season we are allowed to play.  I'll ask you this: why are the Bison playing?

Maybe it comes down to what peoples definition of an asterisk is I suppose. A “not normal” season for me is an asterisk. It doesnt fully delegitimize the championship for the winner, but I do believe history will see the 2020 champion as slightly lesser than given the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Maybe it comes down to what peoples definition of an asterisk is I suppose. A “not normal” season for me is an asterisk. It doesnt fully delegitimize the championship for the winner, but I do believe history will see the 2020 champion as slightly lesser than given the circumstances.

When people look back at 2020, the champion of FCS football will be the last thing they think about.  

Surprised the players on NDSUs roster played as hard as they did Saturday since it’s a slightly lesser season. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, homer said:

When people look back at 2020, the champion of FCS football will be the last thing they think about.  

Surprised the players on NDSUs roster played as hard as they did Saturday since it’s a slightly lesser season. 

Who said they played hard? ;)

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Are you on the FCS Fans Nation page on FB?  The question about if this season should have an asterisk on it was posed last week, most everybody said no it shouldn't and a lot of those people were NDSU fans.   If all sorts of teams start shutting it down, then maybe.  But if it's teams that have losing seasons shutting it down, they wouldn't have been in the playoffs anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Are you on the FCS Fans Nation page on FB?  The question about if this season should have an asterisk on it was posed last week, most everybody said no it shouldn't and a lot of those people were NDSU fans.   If all sorts of teams start shutting it down, then maybe.  But if it's teams that have losing seasons shutting it down, they wouldn't have been in the playoffs anyway. 

I am. The problem with that is those losing teams in a normal season would still have to play the games. Illinois state shutting it down early has a ripple effect on everyone in the league. Advantages and disadvantages. 

I suppose reasonable people can disagree on this one, but I don’t see any way that FCS history just doesn’t look at the 2020 season as an asterisk or whatever you’d like to call it. This season is different than any that came before it and any(hopefully) that will come after. The simple fact that a team is a playing less games is enough for me to say this season somehow means less. And I’ll say the same thing if NDSU wins the title.

3 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I suppose reasonable people can disagree on this one, but I don’t see any way that FCS history just doesn’t look at the 2020 season as an asterisk or whatever you’d like to call it. This season is different than any that came before it and any(hopefully) that will come after. The simple fact that a team is a playing less games is enough for me to say this season somehow means less. And I’ll say the same thing if NDSU wins the title.

You've gotta realize you don't represent the average ndsu fan though.