SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

13 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I am a North Dakotan. I am concerned about the out of control virus. Not only because of what it does to people (we don’t know all the lingering long term effects of the disease) but what it has done to our economy.

we can control our response (keep economy open) but this doesn’t mean the Covid is something to just dismiss as just another virus

I will add that I am an admitted worrier.

A new record of new cases just released. Over 1400 new cases with over 250 in Cass County. This was a high testing day with over 9000 tests done. Going this way this will be a herd immunity in North Dakota.

stayinyourbasementforever

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's all about Florida and Pennsylvania.  If either candidate wins both, it's gonna be real hard for the other to overcome.

Biden doesn’t even need Florida, nor does he need to flip a single traditional red state.  Biden wins by holding steady in traditional blue states.  If Biden loses PA, he can still flip one of AZ, NC, GA or FL for a victory.       

In addition to flipping some traditional blue states, Trump needs every red one.  He did this in 2016.  That said, the political landscape was thoroughly different.  

Sure poll numbers tend to tighten as the election nears; but Hillary’s numbers (national and state) were downright plummeting at this time 4 years ago.  That was a foretelling sign.  This isn't occurring with Biden.  

Trump's biggest disadvantage is the immense turnout that is occurring; particularly amongst the minority demographic and in blue states he needs to flip.   The 2016 turnout was the lowest in decades.     

12 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I am a North Dakotan. I am concerned about the out of control virus. Not only because of what it does to people (we don’t know all the lingering long term effects of the disease) but what it has done to our economy.

we can control our response (keep economy open) but this doesn’t mean the Covid is something to just dismiss as just another virus

Interesting point on the economy.  

GDP by state, Q2

ND -27.6%
VA -27.0%

And lest we think that this is solely because of oil+, SD’s was -28.8%. 

Study after study shows that the economy is primarily driven by the virus, not the government response.  The absolute best thing for the economy is to beat back the virus.

2 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

That is a head-in-the-sand response that is very reminiscent of Trump stating that the US only looked bad because of testing, which is easily disputed by any statistical measure.

Here’s my frustration, from the perspective of a lefty lib who doesn’t actually want people to die.  COVID hit the large coastal metro areas hard early on.  There was confusion about masks, testing, and treatment.  There were likely a lot of avoidable fatalities.  But over the course of the year the medical community figured it out and there is a playbook now.  To see the rural states completely ignore this in the name of politics or a twisted definition of “freedom” is stunning. 

Believe it he media, people are licking door knobs in the Midwest.  Complete disregard for safety.  

4 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Biden doesn’t even need Florida, nor does he need to flip a single traditional red state.  Biden wins by holding steady in traditional blue states.  If Biden loses PA, he can still flip one of AZ, NC, GA or FL for a victory.       

In addition to flipping some traditional blue states, Trump needs every red one.  He did this in 2016.  That said, the political landscape was thoroughly different.  

Sure poll numbers tend to tighten as the election nears; but Hillary’s numbers (national and state) were downright plummeting at this time 4 years ago.  That was a foretelling sign.  This isn't occurring with Biden.  

Trump's biggest disadvantage is the immense turnout in blue states that is occurring; particularly the minority turn-out.  

I think Trump does better with the minority’s vote this year so if hey are showing up that’s not a bad thing.  His disadvantage right now is the senior vote. Not polling well there.  

7 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

That is a head-in-the-sand response that is very reminiscent of Trump stating that the US only looked bad because of testing, which is easily disputed by any statistical measure.

Here’s my frustration, from the perspective of a lefty lib who doesn’t actually want people to die.  COVID hit the large coastal metro areas hard early on.  There was confusion about masks, testing, and treatment.  There were likely a lot of avoidable fatalities.  But over the course of the year the medical community figured it out and there is a playbook now.  To see the rural states completely ignore this in the name of politics or a twisted definition of “freedom” is stunning. 

The virus has moved through the east and south.  Now it's whacking the upper midwest, including the bastion of righteousness,  Minnesota. 

Almost like masks slightly help but the virus gonna do what the virus gonna do.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I will add that I am an admitted worrier.

A new record of new cases just released. Over 1400 new cases with over 250 in Cass County. This was a high testing day with over 9000 tests done. Going this way this will be a herd immunity in North Dakota.

IIRC there is currently  0.075% of the population  of Cass County that are "active" cases.

19 minutes ago, homer said:

I think Trump does better with the minority’s vote this year so if hey are showing up that’s not a bad thing.  His disadvantage right now is the senior vote. Not polling well there.  

Doing better with the minority vote doesn't equate to an advantage, Trump is just slightly mitigating his disadvantage.  But high turnout is mitigating that. 

But yea, Trump losing parts of the senior demographic is a serious problem too.  

I won't put any investment and attention to the polls, but doesn't this year seem a little similar to when Obama was voted in his first term? People wanted change just for change, sadly, Obama didn't do much along with his VP (Biden) in 8 years. Obama was a puppet speaker with not much action that won over the college demographic that era.

Still can't believe after Hilary's debacle in 2016, Joe Biden is the best person the Dems could get. Well, let's be honest, Obama and his cronies helped Joe become the front runner during the end of the primaries. You can love or hate Trump, that's fine, but Joe Biden while wearing a neutral lens is a pathetic candidate too. 

• Like 1

This whole idea of looking around the country and thinking one place is doing better than another is complete folly. Someone please point me to one area of our country that we can see some measure of impact our actions have had on the spread of this virus? Places that locked down, places that didn’t, places that had mask mandates early on and places that didn’t put mandates in place until later. Step back for a second without the partisan bias we all have and see that no matter what we do this virus eventually is running its course in all areas of this country. Nobody did it “the right way”, though I would argue that if the virus is going to make its way through a population anyway, why close businesses, just let people decide if they feel safe, take precautions that make you and your family comfortable for your particular situation and move forward. This is our only option, nobody or no thing is coming to save us here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Just got off the phone a little while ago with my brother in West Fargo.. he just got his positive test results. 

His workplace wasn't practicing social distancing or facemask policy as mandated by company headquarters in Minneapolis.  He was.  Not many others were. 

He only went to work, did not go out at all.  Even had groceries delivered. 

My guess is that there is an impending outbreak... if not happening already... at his workplace.  A further assumption is that in North Dakota in general, these outbreaks will further spike their numbers. 

No, its not because of testing cultists.  Its because of irresponsibility. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Just got off the phone a little while ago with my brother in West Fargo.. he just got his positive test results. 

His workplace wasn't practicing social distancing or facemask policy as mandated by company headquarters in Minneapolis.  He was.  Not many others were. 

He only went to work, did not go out at all.  Even had groceries delivered. 

My guess is that there is an impending outbreak... if not happening already... at his workplace.  A further assumption is that in North Dakota in general, these outbreaks will further spike their numbers. 

so your saying that the guys that didn't wear their masks didn't get it and the one guy in the office that did wear a mask got the virus?

interesting...

• Upvote 1

most of the new cases of the virus are younger folks is good because almost all recover. I am all for keeping the economy open by having the more vulnerable being more careful.

I don’t think anyone just dismisses people dying because they were old anyway. At least I hope not. I think there will be a spike in deaths for a while.

20 hours ago, Wilbur said:

My 93 year old Grandma who hasn't been within 6 feet of anyone the last 7 months in a Minot nursing home has Covid......

13 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Those damn Grandma's sneaking out for Happy Hour at The Original.

Just now, Oxbow6 said:

Those damn Grandma's  sneaking out for Happy Hour at The Original.

He will be speaking with a true health care professional in Fargo about what he needs to do to take care of himself.  He will follow their advice and recommendations.  Because of that, he will probably be fine. 

Luckily he won't be dealing with a lunatic Trumptard like you.  You probably have a wing of a funeral home named for you in honor of the business sent to them. 

ROTFLMFAO.