SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

10 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Both of your claims here are unsubstantiated.

Where is the evidence that polls are over sampling Ds?  2016?  What about 2012 and 2018 when the polls were wrong the other direction?

No states are called before polls have closed in that state.  I can’t even recall the last time that happened.  They barely leak the exits polls nowadays.

Actual voter suppression is shown by hours-long voting lines, efforts to not count submitted ballots, and strict ID laws.

So media promoted voter suppression is fine?

29 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

I haven’t been worried about surface transmission for a long time.  But I can see how others might be sensitive to it.  Prolonged indoor, mask-free exposure is by far the most efficient pathway.

Thankfully, my area (VA burbs of DC) is doing well with COVID now.  

And like the much of the East coast (not all) the only reason your numbers are appearing better is because it already ran through you guys.  Everything takes longer to get to the Midwest.  

1 minute ago, TheFlop said:

And like the much of the East coast (not all) the only reason your numbers are appearing better is because it already ran through you guys.  Everything takes longer to get to the Midwest.  

And masks.

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Hey, maybe try pointing to an actual instance of where the media has reduced the vote.

Hey, maybe try pointing to an actual instant where a ballot was submitted the proper way including within timeliness guidelines, by a legal voter, marked correctly, not fraud (ie not a double ballot) and the votes weren't counted?

33 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Thankfully, my area (VA burbs of DC) is doing well with COVID now.  

Virginia is, like, 43rd in terms of tests per capita. How confident are you in the numbers knowing that you're not testing anywhere near the level of someplace like ND (3rd), which I presume you would say is 'not doing well.'

1 hour ago, wxman91 said:

Hey dumpster fire participants.  The Miller news sucked me back in, but don’t worry, I’ll step back out and let Hayduke meme his way through the thread.

On COVID-19, no surprise at all that ND is struggling.  I hope we’ve collectively put to bed the idea that it is no worse than the flu.  At the year mark, we will be approaching 400k dead, which is over 10x the normal flu season.  And we aren’t even in sniffing distance of herd immunity.  I’m glad that a vaccine wasn’t rushed for election purposes but I do hope one is found to be safe and useful soon.  The good part is that the measures taken this far (lockdowns, restrictions, masks) have allowed the medical community to come up with better treatment plans, and along with the shift to younger patients, the death rate is down.  Not enough, but better.  The resistance to mask wearing in some areas is still disappointing, and from a political perspective, has completely backfired (see: WI).

Which takes us to the election.  The challenger is very, very likely to win.  In 2016, there were more undecideds due to the unfavorable personal ratings of both candidates and those voters broke, en masse, to the current President.  There are comparatively few undecided voters this year.  There are of course uncertainties due to the mail in vote, and election night is bound to be an unsatisfying event, but the consistency of the polling has been amazing.  Of course, the only pause given to that is from certain outfits like Trafalgar/Rasmussen/Susquehanna who continue to show better results for the incumbent.  Trafalgar is a particularly interesting case where they intentionally adjust their polls to account for a “shy” Trump voter.  They point to results in 2016 as a reason, but most research disputes their conclusion, and in fact firms like Rasmussen performed poorly in 2018.  Florida will be key to an early election night.  They will have almost all of their votes counted.  Without a win in FL, there is no realistic path to re-election for the President.  If he does get FL, it is going to be a messy wait until AZ/GA and especially PA count their votes.

Happy and safe Halloween to all.  I will be doing a neighborhood parade with my daughter tonight and many people will be setting out candy bags.  We’ve decorated several dozen as a fun way to change it up this year.

are those "with" or "of"...just asking for a friend that has a heroin problem.

4 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Hey, maybe try pointing to an actual instant where a ballot was submitted the proper way including within timeliness guidelines, by a legal voter, marked correctly, not fraud (ie not a double ballot) and the votes weren't counted?

You brought up voter suppression and were called out on your incorrect statements.  It is incumbent on you to provide instances of the media suppressing votes.  I’m not going to bother looking up study after study that shows the cumulative impact of almost entirely republican efforts to make voting more difficult.

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Virginia is, like, 43rd in terms of tests per capita. How confident are you in the numbers knowing that you're not testing anywhere near the level of someplace like ND (3rd), which I presume you would say is 'not doing well.'

Pretty confident.  In my county there are more people than the entire population of ND.  NDs count yesterday was >1300.  Ours was 112.  That is not a testing difference.

7 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

are those "with" or "of"...just asking for a friend that has a heroin problem.

Excess deaths.  So it completely removes the whole testing aspect.  The current COVID death count is an undercount, and will be corrected by modeling over time like the flu counts are.

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

fixed

That’s strange, I must have been hallucinating going on a couple of weekend trips this year, enjoying our park system, going shopping, grabbing food from our open restaurants.  But yes, I didn’t go to a rock concert this year.  Of course, I haven’t been to one since 2005, so, eh.

22 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Math not your strong suit? 

I have a minor from UND, so maybe not.  

Perhaps my shorthand wasn’t communicated properly.  That massive gap between the number of positive tests is not likely to be due to the difference in testing levels between ND and Fairfax County, VA.

edit w/stats - out for a walk and can’t find the county-specific hospitalization or testing numbers

Last 14 days:

ND (750k population) - 12,000 cases, 124 deaths

FFX (1.1m population) -  1,500 cases, 7 deaths

20 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

I have a minor from UND, so maybe not.  

Perhaps my shorthand wasn’t communicated properly.  That massive gap between the number of positive tests is not likely to be due to the difference in testing levels between ND and Fairfax County, VA.

Due SOLELY to the difference, no.  There are other variables as well.

But you would have to admit that a five-fold increase in testing in a particular locality would result in an increase in detected "cases" there.

The problem with comparing cities to cities, states to states, and countries to countries -- as so many people are inclined to do -- is that there are far too many disparities in data to do so meaningfully.  Until one normalizes for local variances in how tests are conducted and reported, it's a fool's errand.

You'll be happy to know that we are North Dakota are also doing well with COVID.  You just won't see it reported in the media.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Just say it's the Deep State.  That's the cult's blanket statement to lay blame. Lol 

6 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You'll be happy to know that we are North Dakota are also doing well with COVID.  You just won't see it reported in the media.

Yeah, sure.

Pesky media.  Or, do you prefer to call them, "fake news"?

Or, like so many of you believe, is it the Deep State?

They're all out to get you.  Every last one of them.

LMFAO

I am a North Dakotan. I am concerned about the out of control virus. Not only because of what it does to people (we don’t know all the lingering long term effects of the disease) but what it has done to our economy.

we can control our response (keep economy open) but this doesn’t mean the Covid is something to just dismiss as just another virus

I will add that I am an admitted worrier.

A new record of new cases just released. Over 1400 new cases with over 250 in Cass County. This was a high testing day with over 9000 tests done. Going this way this will be a herd immunity in North Dakota.

11 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Yeah, sure.

Pesky media.  Or, do you prefer to call them, "fake news"?

Or, like so many of you believe, is it the Deep State?

They're all out to get you.  Every last one of them.

LMFAO

If it’s an issue and people are concerned I’m sure they will vote out leadership in the upcoming election.  Isn’t that what Biden is running on? 

16 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Due SOLELY to the difference, no.  There are other variables as well.

But you would have to admit that a five-fold increase in testing in a particular locality would result in an increase in detected "cases" there.

The problem with comparing cities to cities, states to states, and countries to countries -- as so many people are inclined to do -- is that there are far too many disparities in data to do so meaningfully.  Until one normalizes for local variances in how tests are conducted and reported, it's a fool's errand.

That is a head-in-the-sand response that is very reminiscent of Trump stating that the US only looked bad because of testing, which is easily disputed by any statistical measure.

Here’s my frustration, from the perspective of a lefty lib who doesn’t actually want people to die.  COVID hit the large coastal metro areas hard early on.  There was confusion about masks, testing, and treatment.  There were likely a lot of avoidable fatalities.  But over the course of the year the medical community figured it out and there is a playbook now.  To see the rural states completely ignore this in the name of politics or a twisted definition of “freedom” is stunning.