SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

12 minutes ago, mikejm said:

You raise an interesting point. It is disappointing to think any voter stays home because they think the electoral college effectively negates their vote, especially when one considers all the down ballot races.

Sure, your vote for a presidential candidate might not count on a national basis, but please vote and help decide legislative and local races.

90% of people have no idea what the candidates in their local election stand for.  It's an unfortunate byproduct of centralized news.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Personal anecdote:
I almost stayed home in 1992 (Clinton/Bush/Perot) as I was living in upstate NY and knew where NY was going. 
But then I realized the neighbor down the street (a real jerk) was on the town council. 
I went to vote. ;) 

I know which way ND is voting in every presidential election.  It gives me the freedom to vote 3rd party.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I know which way ND is voting in every presidential election.  It gives me the freedom to vote 3rd party.

I love reading up on libertarian candidates. One second you'll be reading and its like "yeah this guy gets it"...next thing you know they are talking about legalizing beastiality or PCP or something off the wall.

11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

that's exactly how you get an AOC

No, AOC did it in-party first.
She "primaried*" a person who as at the time the House Majority Whip**.
That's a pretty good trick, and overtly signaled where the D party was headed politically. 

*defeated in the party primary, before the general election
**at the time the #3 D in the House, behind the Speaker and Majority Leader 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

No, AOC did it in-party first.
She "primaried*" a person who as at the time the House Majority Whip**.
That's a pretty good trick, and overtly signaled where the D party was headed politically. 

*defeated in the party primary, before the general election
**at the time the #3 D in the House, behind the Speaker and Majority Leader 

people had no idea who she was or what she stood for...named looked good/familiar to the new residents in a rapidly changing district.

1 minute ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

people had no idea who she was or what she stood for...named looked good/familiar to the new residents in a rapidly changing district.

They must know what she stands for now and it appears she'll be reelected in November.

2 hours ago, Hayduke1 said:

No, that IS the bug. 

Disproportionate representation is the problem.  It is broken because of that reason. 

How long will the masses accept that the one with fewer votes becomes president?  You may say they have accepted this since the beginning of our nation, but it rarely happened.  Now, twice early in this century it has happened.  The last time by nearly 3 million votes. 

You cannot govern a functioning democracy ( don't give us that bs about being a republic) from a minority position for an extended period of time.  Something will give. 

We don't have a direct democracy,  our founders gave us a representative democracy.  Big difference.

17 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I certainly would be interested to see if a EC awarded proportionally instead of winner-take-all would make any difference.

Do you proportion it per statewide vote or do you do winner take all based on house districts?

If by proportion, does the dude who gets 50.01% only get half of the EC votes in the state or do they get 50%+1?

If by house district, how do we decide who gets the two extra votes each state has?

I think there would be some goofy stuff that goes on. I like the simple way we have it now. Win the state babyyyy.

31 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Do you proportion it per statewide vote or do you do winner take all based on house districts?

If by proportion, does the dude who gets 50.01% only get half of the EC votes in the state or do they get 50%+1?

If by house district, how do we decide who gets the two extra votes each state has?

I think there would be some goofy stuff that goes on. I like the simple way we have it now. Win the state babyyyy.

My thought was statewide.

Perhaps some ideas should be left alone.  I guess this idea of mine is one of them. 

4 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Freakin hilarious.  

The evil MEDIA!!!!

I'm not sure about the above, but if you don't think that people's minds are being manipulated in an extremely sophisticated manner, watch the Netlix Documentary The Social Dilemma. I've already deleted most of my social media apps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Freakin hilarious.  

The evil MEDIA!!!!

so you think the media is telling the truth, and not picking and choosing what they cover to push the narative to what they want?  ok.  havent been paying attention for the last 10+ years, have ya

• Like 1

That’s right, I forgot.  The ‘media’ is some uniform and all-encompassing entity controlled by the deep state with a political agenda.  Poor, poor Trump.  I think I heard Trump say Slender Man is in on it too.  You people ought to look in on that.  Dangerous stuff!!   

Meanwhile, in the real world,  Stay classy cultists......