SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 hours ago, keikla said:

I'm assuming you are referring to me.  I think there's a big difference between not being allowed to do anything and going to a huge mall full of 20k people or whatever the capacity is.  And that's not just your kids, that's everyone who is going.  Go outside, do stuff.  Just do it where you have a little personal space and everyone isn't touching the same things.  Heck, even go to Walmart for essentials.  Needs vs wants. 

If you had come back to post on this matter and pass judgement again then both shoes are a perfect fit. Well done.

Interesting take in Newsweek.  Part and parcel of covid-19 being less prevalent,t but far more dangerous than the flu.  

We are still awaiting the peak of the epidemic in Europe: probably early April for Italy, mid-April for Germany and Switzerland, somewhere around that time for the UK. In the U.S., the infection has only just begun.

But why the urgency (to self-quarantine), if most people survive?

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.

Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797?fbclid=IwAR2e01AiqhwabGxvLA0vmesXurUWwH6YnseVfEgCddaOWr0Svi8pR6o3GlY

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ranger said:

Maybe...this closure adds 3 additional days to the Minneapolis school district, due to spring break. I suspect it will extend into April.  Situation dependent as always.  Get them off the TikToc!  

My 3 kids are teachers in 2 different MN suburban schools.  Their schools aren't waiting for Wednesday and both are shutting down starting tomorrow.  It will add at least 2 weeks to our spring breaks as their spring breaks start March 30th.

40 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Interesting take in Newsweek.  Part and parcel of covid-19 being less prevalent,t but far more dangerous than the flu.  

We are still awaiting the peak of the epidemic in Europe: probably early April for Italy, mid-April for Germany and Switzerland, somewhere around that time for the UK. In the U.S., the infection has only just begun.

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.

Now, odds are, you might catch coronavirus and might not even get symptoms. Great. Good for you. Very bad for everyone else, from your own grandparents to the random older person who got on the subway train a stop or two after you got off. You're fine, you're barely even sneezing or coughing, but you're walking around and you kill a couple of old ladies without even knowing it. Is that fair? You tell me.

https://www.newsweek.com/young-unafraid-coronavirus-pandemic-good-you-now-stop-killing-people-opinion-1491797?fbclid=IwAR2e01AiqhwabGxvLA0vmesXurUWwH6YnseVfEgCddaOWr0Svi8pR6o3GlY

That is an interesting take. I won't even broach the "wrong yardstick" issue but can you and others please comment on the travel concern and what is appropriate? Talking strictly domestic of course.

No air travel at all? Only flights without connections? Only flights to certain areas? Travel by car is ok but only to a certain distance mile wise? Can one cross a state line? Leisurely "Sunday drive"?

I'll hang up and listen.

4 hours ago, keikla said:

I thought Ira was saying people don't have to worry if they have a fever but no respiratory symptoms.  I think we're all just learning as we go here.

A small observation that may be coincidental, but I've seen for multiple patients that the virus took a turn for the worse on day 5/6 of being infected.  People going from treatment at home to admitted, people going from med surg to ICU, people going from ICU to intubated.  It's not 100% of patients, but quite a few of them decline right at that 5/6 day mark.  Just something to keep an eye on.

I didn’t say fever without respiratory or other symptoms was nothing to worry about.  I will make clear:

If you have cough, sore throat, body aches, severe cold, runny nose with or without fever stay home. If you have a combination of the above stay home. If you start developing shortness of breath, especially associated with cough or fever and or can’t stay hydrated contact your provider, clinic, hospital for advice/instructions before going to clinic, hospital, ER or calling an ambulance (unless you have a life threatening emergency). There isn’t one symptom that we know means you have this, nor any symptom you don’t have that says you don’t. 
Some may have misunderstood my comments that debate about canceling events which were already taking place was understandable meant I disagreed with those decisions.  I also understand the debate about school closings.  Points about kids being safer in school and getting nutritious meals vs keeping people at home where they are less likely to be infected or possibly infect others are reasonable talking points. Doesn’t mean I disagree with the decision makers. It is smarter to error on the side of caution until we get a better handle on this thing. The statistics and predictions are in flux so we need to be diligent.  I don’t believe we should be afraid but we need to be concerned, practical, diligent in our practices, behavior and activities. 
Lastly there will be plenty of time to point fingers, assign blame and to second guess once we get through this. We need to cut the political blame and demand our political leaders on both sides focus on what is best for this country and our citizens. They need to postpone the political rhetoric until bans are lifted on travel and public gatherings and focus on working as a team to do what is best. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

4 months of physical therapy.  This article is classic.  The range of paranoia is unbelievable.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

4 months of physical therapy.  This article is classic.  The range of paranoia is unbelievable.

Not really.  

We’re now at the point where pundits, from both sides of the isle, are starting to put politics aside and realize we may be in for some long days ahead.  Its gonna take a collective effort. 

Here’s Newt, of all people:

NEWT GINGRICH: I AM IN ITALY AMID THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS. AMERICA MUST ACT NOW—AND ACT BIG 

https://www.newsweek.com/newt-gingrich-i-am-italy-amid-coronavirus-crisis-america-must-act-now-act-big-opinion-1492270

• Upvote 1

How many 70+ year olds die every year due to other viruses, diseases, etc?  My gut just keeps telling me to "follow the money" on this one.  Strange timing.  

It's very bad and needs to be taken very seriously but......ah, who knows.  

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

How many 70+ year olds die every year due to other viruses, diseases, etc?  My gut just keeps telling me to "follow the money" on this one.  Strange timing.  

Who knew aging was a contributing factor in death........ especially when one compounds that with years of personal wellness neglect.

16 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Not really.  

We’re now at the point where pundits, from both sides of the isle, are starting to put politics aside and realize we may be in for some long days ahead.  Its gonna take a collective effort. 

NEWT GINGRICH: I AM IN ITALY AMID THE CORONAVIRUS CRISIS. AMERICA MUST ACT NOW—AND ACT BIG 

https://www.newsweek.com/newt-gingrich-i-am-italy-amid-coronavirus-crisis-america-must-act-now-act-big-opinion-1492270

Not to minimize the loss of loved ones, but the article states the average age of those who have died from the virus in Italy is 81.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Ask yourself what the odds are of Iran China and America coordinating anything let alone whatever it is that you’re suggesting.

13 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Sweet Jesus this makes my blood boil.  

Covid-19 is deemed serious enough to declare a national emergency; serious enough for numerous lawmakers to self-quarantine  (Lindsey Graham and Ted Cruz being the latest), yet this was the scene today at DFW for the average Joe:

Yes Donald, your "greatest and most prepared response to covid-19" looks like a human petri dish.  How is this allowed to occur, like seriously.           

I’m not defending Trump,  but  why aren’t these travelers carrying their own sanitizers, masks gloves and anything else they think they need?  Why do you think they all need gloves?  Do all healthy people need a mask?   If you have traveled in the last month or so, you will see many travelers are wearing masks and have their own hand sanitizer.   Why should we have to purchase personal products for those who don’t prepare for travel?  I’ve had to wait in long customs lines here and elsewhere when there wasn’t a health crisis.  I’m not there,  so I’m not sure what the delay is. If we want to check everyone’s temp then are we going to provide cots and pillows cuz the delays will be much longer. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Not really.  

By putting politics aside, I assume you mean one side will quit blaming the other for a futuristic worst case scenario outcome of a crisis that has barely started, and the other side will not have to waste time defending it's prior decisions to armchair quarterbacks. I sure hope you are right.   Although I have a hunch tonight at 7pm central on CNN you'll be proven wrong.  

3 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not defending Trump,  but  why aren’t these travelers carrying their own sanitizers, masks gloves and anything else they think they need?  Why do you think they all need gloves?  Do all healthy people need a mask?   If you have traveled in the last month or so, you will see many travelers are wearing masks and have their own hand sanitizer.   Why should we have to purchase personal products for those who don’t prepare for travel?  I’ve had to wait in long customs lines here and elsewhere when there wasn’t a health crisis.  I’m not there,  so I’m not sure what the delay is. If we want to check everyone’s temp then are we going to provide cots and pillows cuz the delays will be much longer. 

What's your take on air travel domestically as of today provided all air travel isn't restricted in the upcoming days?