SiouxSports.com Forum
jk

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

? I have thought about this but have no idea about it's validity.  How many tens of thousands of people flew from China to the U.S. in Jan-Feb?  Doesn't mean they had the virus but interesting thought process.

Small benefit of this thread is you can see people's political leanings. 

• Upvote 4

If we weren't testing for it previously, but started now, wouldn't the number of people that had it obviously go up?  

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

If we weren't testing for it previously, but started now, wouldn't the number of people that had it obviously go up?  

MN.......tested 868 confirmed 21

ND........tested 87 confirmed 1

WI........tested 273 confirmed 27

I fully expect the numbers to skyrocket. Based on the fact we started at 0 just a short time ago.  I don't doubt that it's spread wide and far.

4 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

I fully expect the numbers to skyrocket. Based on the fact we started at 0 just a short time ago.  I don't doubt that it's spread wide and far.

First confirmed case in US was January 21. 

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Weren’t we supposed to be at zero last week?

7 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

2 months.  Right.  

makes me wonder how many other NBA players actually had it but just sat out with flu-like symptoms.

Just now, UND1983 said:

2 months.  Right.  

makes me wonder how many other NBA players actually had it but just sat out with flu-like symptoms.

We'll be at this for awhile if 1M are going to die.

1 hour ago, UNDfaninMICH said:

Ira’s words were taken out of context. He had previously stated that people with fever and cough should stay home. I thought he meant that people who had colds but no fever could freely spread their  germs. He was in fact saying that people who simply have cough and fever need to not clog up medical offices and ER’s. 

People without fever are almost certainly capable of spreading coronavirus. 

Edited to add: hopes for speedy recoveries for your staff.

I thought Ira was saying people don't have to worry if they have a fever but no respiratory symptoms.  I think we're all just learning as we go here.

A small observation that may be coincidental, but I've seen for multiple patients that the virus took a turn for the worse on day 5/6 of being infected.  People going from treatment at home to admitted, people going from med surg to ICU, people going from ICU to intubated.  It's not 100% of patients, but quite a few of them decline right at that 5/6 day mark.  Just something to keep an eye on.

1 minute ago, keikla said:

I thought Ira was saying people don't have to worry if they have a fever but no respiratory symptoms.  I think we're all just learning as we go here.

A small observation that may be coincidental, but I've seen for multiple patients that the virus took a turn for the worse on day 5/6 of being infected.  People going from treatment at home to admitted, people going from med surg to ICU, people going from ICU to intubated.  It's not 100% of patients, but quite a few of them decline right at that 5/6 day mark.  Just something to keep an eye on.

What are the ages of those patients? Underlying complicating heath factors?

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Bump

I would like someone to address this. This IMO is the elephant in the room. What happens to these people? Their families? We seem to be strictly focused of keeping grandma's with CHF or emphysema or diabetes with secondary renal failure alive in this thread.

Where are we as a functioning society if this social distancing lockdown is still effect as we approach Memorial Day? People are still going to get infected. Some will die. Who picks up the pieces of lives shattered and destroyed by the inability to make a living. People and kids with futures ahead of them.....not just another birthday or two.

Or we can tough it out 3 weeks and let science gather information.

Deciding the socioeconomic future of a population should not be based on cognitive bias. Not when there’s no backsies. 

Just now, CarpeRemote said:

Or we can tough it out 3 weeks and let science gather information.

Deciding the socioeconomic future of a population should not be based on cognitive bias. Not when there’s no backsies. 

3 weeks? I'll take the over.

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

3 weeks? I'll take the over.

Heuristics are great for choosing socks and betting with other people’s chips 

29 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

That 82 year old victim in New York...hard to blame coronavirus when she suffered from advanced emphysema, but it feeds into the panic, so roll with the story!

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Obesity.  This country is brimming with ridiculously fat unhealthy people of all ages.  It's something Europe/Asia didn't necessarily need to concern themselves with in their outbreaks. 

We have a completely new set of potential risk factors, which is part of the problem. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Won't look like a cafeteria in MN in the near future. Gov. Walz to hold presser at 10 am. No doubt it's a domino effect because of neighboring WI and SD.

Yep...  2 weeks beginning this Wednesday or Thursday; unclear which day.  Next week was our spring break anyway, plus the Mrs. had our kid out a few extra days anyway.  Main concern appears to be distant learning, special ed, school meals, and day care.  

Why would you reopen schools March 28th?

Unless you for whatever reason thought the virus would be on the decline then.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Why would you reopen schools March 27th?

Unless you for whatever reason thought the virus would be on the decline then.

They won't reopen. My oldest won't be going back to UND. I'll have both daughters home everyday starting  on Wednesday making TikToc videos.

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

MN.......tested 868 confirmed 21

ND........tested 87 confirmed 1

WI........tested 273 confirmed 27

When does Burgum cave?

14 minutes ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Obesity.  This country is brimming with ridiculously fat unhealthy people of all ages.  It's something Europe/Asia didn't necessarily need to concern themselves with in their outbreaks. 

We have a completely new set of potential risk factors, which is part of the problem. 

The US obesity rate is near 50 percent, with morbid obesity numbers in double digits.