SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

17 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not defending Trump,  but  why aren’t these travelers carrying their own sanitizers, masks gloves and anything else they think they need?  Why do you think they all need gloves?  Do all healthy people need a mask?   If you have traveled in the last month or so, you will see many travelers are wearing masks and have their own hand sanitizer.   Why should we have to purchase personal products for those who don’t prepare for travel?  I’ve had to wait in long customs lines here and elsewhere when there wasn’t a health crisis.  I’m not there,  so I’m not sure what the delay is. If we want to check everyone’s temp then are we going to provide cots and pillows cuz the delays will be much longer. 

Because you can't buy hand sanitizer here. It's just like it is in the US, the second it's on the shelves, it's sold out.

And hand sanitizer, mask and gloves aren't going to prevent you from getting coronavirus. It will help but if you're in a giant group of people, you have a higher chance of getting it. 

2 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Because you can't buy hand sanitizer here. It's just like it is in the US, the second it's on the shelves, it's sold out.

Is that because of need? Or fear/panic? Regardless of country.

40 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

How many 70+ year olds die every year due to other viruses, diseases, etc?

The attitude that some of you have that you don't care about people dying from this because they're already old or sick is pathetic. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, southpaw said:

So Trump should call in the US military to deliver the secret government stash of hand sanitizer stored at Area 51 to airports?  

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Is that because of need? Or fear/panic? Regardless of country.

Here it's because of need. People aren't buying cases full of it and trying to make a buck off it. Most will get a bottle or two and make sure there's more for others. I can still get toilet paper at every store, just not hand sanitizer. 

The media coverage here has been 100% on how big of a virus this is and how it could shut down the EU. No politics about it. Nobody calling the seriousness of it a hoax. That's the biggest difference between coverage here and in the states on this. Both countries have journalists pointing out how serious this is and yet the response by the people has been incredibly different. 

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

The attitude that some of you have that you don't care about people dying from this because they're already old or sick is pathetic. 

I guess I missed the part where people on here were celebrating the deaths of these people. Is it not worth discussing the demographics and conditions of the victims? 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, southpaw said:

And hand sanitizer, mask and gloves aren't going to prevent you from getting coronavirus. It will help but if you're in a giant group of people, you have a higher chance of getting it. 

Ideally everyone in public should be wearing a mask at this point. This Isnt to protect you but rather everyone around you. The problem is there has been very poor planning by our leaders for months so this isn’t possible.

8 minutes ago, southpaw said:

When did I say I didn't care?  Read it again, brah. It was pointing out that those dying from this strain were probably just as susceptible to the other strains out there and it's very possible they could've died from those as well

4 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

I guess I missed the part where people on here were celebrating the deaths of these people. Is it not worth discussing the demographics and conditions of the victims? 

I guess I missed the part where I said people were celebrating. But there's certainly a lot of people saying it's not a big deal because the person would have died from something else.

Sure, they probably would have but they wouldn't have died this week and that's the point. Yeah, lots of people die from the flu, and drunk driving, and choking but none of that should diminish the deaths caused by this. 

27 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Ideally everyone in public should be wearing a mask at this point. This Isnt to protect you but rather everyone around you. The problem is there has been very poor planning by our leaders for months so this isn’t possible.

Where, in any literature or from "expert" opinions, is this recommended?

Little advice......don't bother looking. You won't find it anywhere.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, southpaw said:

I guess I missed the part where I said people were celebrating. But there's certainly a lot of people saying it's not a big deal because the person would have died from something else.

Sure, they probably would have but they wouldn't have died this week and that's the point. Yeah, lots of people die from the flu, and drunk driving, and choking but none of that should diminish the deaths caused by this. 

So essentially you're telling us that those who die from the typical flu & such are not that important - that they would've died anyway like the thousands before them - BUT those who die from Corona are the true victims?  I don't get it.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, UNDlaw80 said:

Interesting take in Newsweek.  Part and parcel of covid-19 being less prevalent,t but far more dangerous than the flu.  

We are still awaiting the peak of the epidemic in Europe: probably early April for Italy, mid-April for Germany and Switzerland, somewhere around that time for the UK. In the U.S., the infection has only just begun.

But why the urgency (to self-quarantine), if most people survive?

Here's why: Fatality is the wrong yardstick. Catching the virus can mess up your life in many, many more ways than just straight-up killing you. "We are all young"—okay. "Even if we get the bug, we will survive"—fantastic. How about needing four months of physical therapy before you even feel human again. Or getting scar tissue in your lungs and having your activity level restricted for the rest of your life. Not to mention having every chance of catching another bug in hospital, while you're being treated or waiting to get checked with an immune system distracted even by the false alarm of an ordinary flu. No travel for leisure or business is worth this risk.

This isn’t directed at anyone except for this poorly written article, but the virus hasn’t even been around for 4 months yet unless my math is wrong.

How someone can type this with what I assume is minimal or zero proofreading is why there is hysteria in this country.

• Upvote 1

Perspective all in one place. All numbers from CDC.

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:

• Heart disease: 647,457
  • Abortion: 623,471
  • Cancer: 599,108
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
  • Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
  • Diabetes: 83,564
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

What's your take on air travel domestically as of today provided all air travel isn't restricted in the upcoming days?

I was prepared to travel to Arizona yesterday for a Mayo conference and would have done so but it was canceled. There are risks of exposure as you sit on planes and travel through airports etc.  I you are in good health and less than 50 then you are less likely to have a severe case but it doesn’t mean you won’t. I haven’t seen anything that would help advise you otherwise. I would also try to avoid the high endemic areas if able  

3 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

This isn’t directed at anyone except for this poorly written article, but the virus hasn’t even been around for 4 months yet unless my math is wrong.

How someone can type this with what I assume is minimal or zero proofreading is why there is hysteria in this country.

This should not have been published in Newsweek or even a restroom walk. 

14 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

Well, it’s “Newsweek,” so that probably says it all right there...

30 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Washing your hands with soap and keeping your hands from your face is as important as hand sanitizer. Why gloves? The virus can’t penetrate skin. We are still not being advised to wear masks so we shouldn’t waste them. We need to remember if this gets out of hand we will need these masks. We have known about this since January. The hand washing recommendations have been out for some time. Travelers need to be prepared and informed. I wouldn’t expect someone else to by my necessary items. 

23 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

Correct. The argument against masks is that they wouldn’t protect the wearer from the virus. Which shouldn’t have been the goal. It should’ve been to protect others in the community if all of us were unknowingly carrying it. Now we know and are really behind. 

1 hour ago, keikla said:

“We had a death in a New York City hospital of an 82-year-old woman who had coronavirus,” Cuomo said on a conference call. “The context is very important — this was an 82-year-old woman who had an underlying respiratory illness, emphysema, for which she had been hospitalized previously. She then contracted the coronavirus on top of the emphysema.”

I have no idea what the general media is saying, but I thought both Cuomo and De Blasio did a decent job of pointing out that the coronavirus was just a problem added onto an existing diagnosis.  Same goes for the medical examiner's quotes about death #2 in NY:

The victim was a 64-year-old Suffern resident, who had "other significant health problems which were likely contributory" to the person's death.

Cuomo did a good job with the explanation - the problem is most people won’t get past the headline...

29 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Where, in any literature or from "expert" opinions, is this recommended?

Little advice......don't bother looking. You won't find it anywhere.

I won’t bother looking. But let’s compare how the us is handling this vs some other countries. Pretty scary to think China is probably a safer place right now....

https://apple.news/A_krETKvVT7O-bpXhlTdkyQ

44 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Here it's because of need. People aren't buying cases full of it and trying to make a buck off it. Most will get a bottle or two and make sure there's more for others. I can still get toilet paper at every store, just not hand sanitizer. 

The media coverage here has been 100% on how big of a virus this is and how it could shut down the EU. No politics about it. Nobody calling the seriousness of it a hoax. That's the biggest difference between coverage here and in the states on this. Both countries have journalists pointing out how serious this is and yet the response by the people has been incredibly different. 

Nobody. Ever.  Called it a hoax.   If you can’t get past that simple fact, no wonder you can’t look at any of the work being done to fight corona objectively.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to 2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)
  • UNDBIZ locked this topic
  • UNDBIZ unlocked this topic