SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

2 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Except when it is complete folly (like NK).

Foreign policy successes:  ISIS - he gets credit for following through (and perhaps accelerating) what the Pentagon had started under Obama

Foreign policy failures: 

• Embarrassing attempts to cozy up to NK - no progress at all on containment/disarmament
  • Withdrawal from the Iran pact - even though it wasn't a perfect agreement, it was something.  No progress on preventing a nuclear state.
  • Advocating on behalf of Putin for Russia to re-enter the G-7 (G-8) despite the Crimea fiasco.
  • Letting Saudi Arabia off the hook for state-sanctioned murder. 
  • Deterioration of relationship with China.
  • Rolling back advancements made with Cuba.

Our relationship with China needed to come to a head, they have been a problem in the worlds stage for years and that relationship would have gone down hill anyway.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Not even sure whether it is worth diving back into this thread, but I came across some interesting points from a local (Virginia) school board meeting that shows the difficulty in the opening decision.

• 25% of custodial staff either tested positive or had to quarantine this summer
  • Extended Day summer camp - 5 out of 50 kids had to be sent home with fevers. Also a family lied on the daily health questions. Family members were at home waiting for covid test results but they sent their kids in.
  • A whole lot of teachers put in for retirement or a year leave of absence

I find this statement hilarious coming from you because you've done nothing here except spew your bias beliefs. Quit acting like you're better than us and just own it.

• Like 1

This isn't good.

Domestic Violence More Than Doubled Under Lockdowns, New Study Finds

The unintended consequences of the COVID-19 lockdowns have been severe: mass unemployment, increased drug overdoses and suicides, and widespread social unrest are but a few of them.

On Monday, the National Bureau of Economic Research released a paper detailing another: increased domestic violence.

Analyzing government-mandated lockdowns in India, researchers Saravana Ravindran and Manisha Shah found evidence of a 131 percent increase in complaints of domestic violence in May 2020 in “red zone districts,” or districts that experienced the strictest lockdown measures, relative to districts that had less strict measures (“green zones”).

The researchers, who used a difference-in-differences empirical strategy, found the increase in domestic violence complaints was consistent with a surge in Google search activity for terms related to domestic violence over the same period.

The authors’ findings “contribute to a growing literature on the impacts of lockdowns and stay-at-home policies on violence against women during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Amid reopening debate, CDC reports school-age kids make up tiny fraction of COVID deaths

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revealed this week that school-age children constitute a tiny fraction of total COVID-19 deaths across the country, news that comes even as teachers, school staff, parents and public officials throughout the United States are demanding indefinite closures of classrooms. 

The CDC's latest provisional COVID-19 death count, updated on Wednesday, reports that as of July 11 just 16 American children in the key 5-14-years-old school-age bracket had died from COVID-19. Those fatalities constitute just 0.012% of the 130,250 deaths total at the time the dataset was compiled earlier this month.

The strikingly low number comes even as education officials and teachers are demanding open-ended shutdowns of local school systems, claiming that reopening school buildings for instruction in the fall would be placing undue risks on students and staff. Huge school districts such as those of Los Angeles and Fairfax County, Va., have pledged to continue virtual learning when the fall semester begins; countless other smaller districts have also vowed to keep school buildings closed in August.

1 hour ago, BIGSIOUX said:

no, today WAPO settled.  He originally sued for 250M.  he didnt disclose what he received.  

#fakesnark

BREAKING: Washington Post to pay Covington student Nick Sandmann after $250 million lawsuit

Nicholas Sandmann, one of the students from Covington High School who was vilified in January 2019 for innocently standing at the Lincoln Memorial with his student group while wearing a MAGA hat, won his defamation suit against the Washington Post today.

The Covington kids were called names and social media erupted with comments as to Sandmann's "punchable face." Criticism erupted over Sandmann's political expression, and the Washington Post assumed that the boys were racist and derogatory to the man Sandmann can be seen here talking to.

The terms of the settlement have yet to be disclosed. Sandmann was also involved in litigation against ABC News, CBS News, The New York Times, Gannett, & Rolling Stone. CNN recently settled a $275 million lawsuit with Sandmann.

38 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I see nothing wrong with this. Private business making a policy decision. Very different than a government requiring it

l agree, that's one of the great things about our country, we have freedoms. Or at least we used to. We don't need top-heavy government officials dictating every aspect of our life. I am all for leaving it up to the individual businesses. I've been wearing a mask in public businesses, but some people don't want to, that's freedom. The airlines have the right to require masks, you have the right to decide whether your going to use that service or not. It's pretty simple. I've not flown in the Covid-19 world, but I've been told the planes are very clean. Sounds like a win to me. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Active positive cases up in ND. Hospitalizations down by about a third. 

That's also great news. @Oxbow6 you've been a source of really good news today. :) 

Active COVID-19 cases continue to climb in North Dakota, 2 residents die from illness

Meanwhile, the state reported a significant drop in residents hospitalized with the illness. There are now 37 North Dakotans hospitalized with COVID-19, down 20 from Thursday. Department spokeswoman Nicole Peske said there may be a lag in reporting from hospitals to the state contributing to the large decrease.

This seems kind of funderhanded. 

Palm Beach County Ups the Game On Falsely Reported COVID Deaths, Some Will Blow Your Mind

Just how inaccurate are the coronavirus death totals around the country? If past reports (see The Real Cause of a ‘Coronavirus Death’ In Florida Will Have You Questioning Everything) and the latest data out of Palm Beach County are any indication, the answer is that the numbers are nowhere close.

The local CBS affiliate did an investigative piece on deaths being reported in the Florida county. What they found were multiple falsely reported deaths for COVID that turned out to be nothing of the sort. We aren’t talking about people who had cancer and were classified as a coronavirus death because they also were infected, which would be back enough on its own.

No, we are talking about stuff like this via 12 News.

DC's Face Mask Order Applies to Everyone...Except Gov't Employees

The lengthy mandate, implemented on July 22 and covering a multitude of illogical dos-and-don’ts (you must wear a mask while distancing from others on the patio of a public swimming pool, but you don’t have to wear one when you’re crammed up near them in the water, for example), specifically carves out “persons in the judicial or legislative branches of the District government” as a special segment of society not required to wear a face mask while at their jobs.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, The Sicatoka said:

< puts on Moderator cap > 

OK, we've let this one go far-a-field for a long time. Call it a "steam dump"; blow off some steam. 

What will not pass muster is obscenities directed at another poster. Period. 

Disagree. Talk politics in this and only this thread on this forum. This is the one and only, small, sandbox here for that. 

But if I see it keep getting directly personal and/or vulgar, well, I too am a "governor" of sorts and have my own flavor of "stay at home" orders to give. 

The Moderation Team 

No obscenities AND no vulgarities???  Tough deal for taz.

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

I find this statement hilarious coming from you because you've done nothing here except spew your bias beliefs. Quit acting like you're better than us and just own it.

No, I'll continue to think that I'm better than you.  Thank you very much.

• Upvote 1

Dr. Birx just named Minneapolis as one of 11 cities that need to take aggressive action to stem Covid19 spread.

Meanwhile Walz is putting together task force groups to nail non-mask wearers in Greenbush, Bagley and New York Mills starting tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Dr. Birx just named Minneapolis as one of 11 cities that need to take aggressive action to stem Covid19 spread.

Meanwhile Walz is putting together task force groups to nail non-mask wearers in Greenbush, Bagley and New York Mills starting tomorrow.

Yep those cities are the problem. Can he be anymore clueless

• Upvote 1