SiouxSports.com Forum

2020 Dumpster Fire (Enter at your own risk)

jk

37 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Nic Sandmann, the Covington teen, settled his defamation lawsuit with the Washington Post for $250M.

#Fakenews

no, today WAPO settled.  He originally sued for 250M.  he didnt disclose what he received.  

#fakesnark

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BIGSIOUX said:

no, today WAPO settled.  He originally sued for 250M.  he didnt disclose what he received.  

#fakesnark

Correct. Misread it. No dollars amount disclosed.

Was dollar amount disclosed with his settlement with CNN prior to WaPo?

2 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Because having a well spoken president who lets the rest of the world sh*t on us was so much better?

Trump says stupid things, no argument from me, but I find it hilarious that people call him a moron. 

Well, crapping on the rest of the world and being a moron hasn't helped Twitler, much less the standing of our country.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2017/06/27/americas-global-standing-plummets-under-donald-trump

11 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Well, crapping on the rest of the world and being a moron hasn't helped Twitler, much less the standing of our country.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2017/06/27/americas-global-standing-plummets-under-donald-trump

Unfortunately you are citing 3 year old surveys........and not taking into account that people tend to favor people that let them do whatever they want.  No one ever liked the substitute teacher that came in and tried to teach.  Everyone loved the substitute teacher that came in and fired up the old film projector for movie day.  

5 minutes ago, TheFlop said:

Give yourself a pat on the back.  You've moved on from Vanity Fair.  You such a big boy now lol. 

So. What makes me a "big boy" is choosing to read reliable media sources.  While not perfect and granted slanted to the left on bias, Vanity Fair is credible.

https://www.adfontesmedia.com/vanity-fair-bias-and-reliability/

Someday you may grow up and figure that out. Lol. 

17 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

You realize you are citing a study that shows what those countries think of Trump right? Of course those countries don't like him, he makes them pay their fair share of trade deals, unlike the previous administration.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

You realize you are citing a study that shows what those countries think of Trump right? Of course those countries don't like him, he makes them pay their fair share of trade deals, unlike the previous administration.

Here is a more recent assessment.  While better, it still shows the failures of Twitler.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/01/08/how-people-around-the-world-see-the-u-s-and-donald-trump-in-10-charts/

Similarly in the USA his polling is in the tank.  He could pull out of it, but that is doubtful.  

3 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Here is a more recent assessment.  While better, it still shows the failures of Twitler.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2020/01/08/how-people-around-the-world-see-the-u-s-and-donald-trump-in-10-charts/

Similarly in the USA his polling is in the tank.  He could pull out of it, but that is doubtful.  

It's not a leaders job to be liked by people he doesn't represent.....or even universally liked by the people he represents.

3 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

You're missing my point. His goal isn't to be liked by the world, it's to negotiate deals that are advantageous to his constituents. Like him or not, I believe he has done a better job of putting the United States first than any previous president. That has come with consequences no doubt, but he is at least working toward accomplishing the platform he ran on. Can't say that about many previous presidents.

• Upvote 1

Not even sure whether it is worth diving back into this thread, but I came across some interesting points from a local (Virginia) school board meeting that shows the difficulty in the opening decision.

• 25% of custodial staff either tested positive or had to quarantine this summer
  • Extended Day summer camp - 5 out of 50 kids had to be sent home with fevers. Also a family lied on the daily health questions. Family members were at home waiting for covid test results but they sent their kids in.
  • A whole lot of teachers put in for retirement or a year leave of absence

Just now, Bison06 said:

You're missing my point. His goal isn't to be liked by the world, it's to negotiate deals that are advantageous to his constituents. Like him or not, I believe he has done a better job of putting the United States first than any previous president. That has come with consequences no doubt, but he is at least working toward accomplishing the platform he ran on. Can't say that about many previous presidents.

Putting the US first by attempting to cozy up to dictators and make our allies mistrust us? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Putting America first comes with the danger of being ostracised by the world community, especially our allies.  He has damaged our country by doing just that. 

1 minute ago, Hayduke1 said:

Putting America first comes with the danger of being ostracised by the world community, especially our allies.  He has damaged our country by doing just that. 

That is certainly one way to look at it.

3 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Putting the US first by attempting to cozy up to dictators and make our allies mistrust us? 

Attempting to make Allies out of enemies is a bad thing? Friends close, but enemies closer.

3 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Attempting to make Allies out of enemies is a bad thing? Friends close, but enemies closer.

Face it, he got played by North Korea.  That made him less trusted and considered even a bigger buffoon by allies and others.  Of course, that may not have been possible.  Lol 

2 minutes ago, Hayduke1 said:

Face it, he got played by North Korea.  That made him less trusted and considered even a bigger buffoon by allies and others.  Of course, that may not have been possible.  Lol 

I’m sure you are well versed in international policy and came to that conclusion all on your own right?

North Korea is run by a psychopath with his finger in a trigger that could blow up the world and you want our leader to not try and have political discourse with him? I’m sure alienating someone like that will go just fine.

2 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

I’m sure you are well versed in international policy and came to that conclusion all on your own right?

North Korea is run by a psychopath with his finger in a trigger that could blow up the world and you want our leader to not try and have political discourse with him? I’m sure alienating someone like that will go just fine.

He got "played".

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/498172-new-book-reminds-us-trump-got-played-bigly-by-north-korea

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, wxman91 said:

Why do you think China is so active in the news this year...cause they like Trump so much and want to see him get re-elected?  Me neither.  Not hard to figure out who they want in office.  

Oh, and shut this sh*t thread down.

1 minute ago, Bison06 said:

Except when it is complete folly (like NK).

Foreign policy successes:  ISIS - he gets credit for following through (and perhaps accelerating) what the Pentagon had started under Obama

Foreign policy failures: 

• Embarrassing attempts to cozy up to NK - no progress at all on containment/disarmament
  • Withdrawal from the Iran pact - even though it wasn't a perfect agreement, it was something.  No progress on preventing a nuclear state.
  • Advocating on behalf of Putin for Russia to re-enter the G-7 (G-8) despite the Crimea fiasco.
  • Letting Saudi Arabia off the hook for state-sanctioned murder. 
  • Deterioration of relationship with China.
  • Rolling back advancements made with Cuba.

2 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Why do you think China is so active in the news this year...cause they like Trump so much and want to see him get re-elected?  Me neither.  Not hard to figure out who they want in office.  

Oh, they are probably perfectly happy to see the US standing in the world plummet under Trump.  The trade war is just collateral damage.